Scott Aspect 45, Giant Yukon

astro

Scott Aspect 45, Giant Yukon

Postby astro » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi y'all in MTB land.
Looking for my first MTB. I hit the roads not to long ago, and now wanna venture into the wild.

The above bikes and tickled my fancy... Any thoughts? Anyone got either?

Give me the lowdown on my first MTB purchase!

Cheers,
Astro
Surly Steamroller

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Scott Aspect 45, Giant Yukon

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:20 am

Welcome further outside Astro 8)

What sorta riding you talking? They'll both show you a good time as long as you aren't racing downhill.
Which one whispers encouragement in your ear will be discovered on a test ride.

[bias]I loves me Giant hardtail :mrgreen: [/bias]

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 am

I've got a Giant Alias which is one or two click above the Yukon and its been great so far, but I love the Scott, they look so much better.
Either one will be fine as long as your not going to jump off buildings with it.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

astro

Postby astro » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:43 pm

hey guys,
the plan is to hit the bike tracks of Adelaide, and have the ability to go into the dirt for a bit of fun. maybe take the bike away for weekend, etc. i'll probably also use to commute as i hate a backpack when riding the road bike, and have a much easier way of getting home using tracks, parks, etc.

so, no downhill or crazy youtube stunts for me. :lol:

cheers and keep the suggestions coming!
Astro
Surly Steamroller

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:57 pm

OK. Any hardtail around that bracket will love the work you've planned, get a pair of slicks for commute duties and save the knobb's for the dirt.

I'll repeat my Giant bias in case you missed it :wink: but IMO one of them will feel better to you, let your bum and gut choose for you.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

astro

Postby astro » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 am

Mulger bill wrote:get a pair of slicks for commute duties and save the knobb's for the dirt.
can you tell me why mate? definitely not disagreeing champ as i know nothing about MTBs, just interested in more detail behind it if you'd be so kind. :D

ta,
Astro
Surly Steamroller

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Knobblies are slow on pavement. Once you've put say 1.25" slicks on you won't want to go back to knobblies for commuting duties, unless you want to HTFU in preparation for a race or enduro ride or similar. Knobblies can be a bit sketchy when pushed hard on pavement, as the knobs fold over and then let go dumping you on your butt. Slicks grip pavement better. There are no issues with slicks aquaplaning in the wet due to the narrow tread.

I have two wheelsets for my hardtail. One is 700c with 23mm slicks for commuting, the other (the stock set) is fitted 26"x2.1" Maxxis knobblies for the trails.

You don't have to go to this extreme, but the 700c wheelset was available for my bike on eBay for a song, and I run tubeless on the knobblies, so it made life easier all round.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm

Gumby's said it all Astro, not to mention the noise knobbies make on pave. Drive yer nuts faster than a Campag freehub :roll:

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011