Buying a trainer

jamierk

Re: Buying a trainer

Postby jamierk » Fri May 01, 2009 9:51 am

Of course not, it was $550 delivered to sydney. Reasonable price i thought. Already got a couple of pedestals fans, but yeah i think i need to hunt for a good fan. Any other road machine users out there that i might be able to ask questions of? Fluid resistance unit and frame both seem of good quality construction. Havn't had a chance to try it properly yet, should have tomorrow.

Cheers guys

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:09 am

Ok thanks. Be keen to hear a review once you have a good go.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat May 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Stupidest question ever: Big W have a Repco branded (chinese made) wind trainer for $148. Anybody else got one? That's about the price I would pay for a no-name wind trainer from pretty much anywhere online.

Because I'm not sure I'd use a trainer, I kind of wanted to try something before sucking it up and shelling out for a kurt kinetic, and a wind trainer looks like the closest thing you can get to a fluid trainer without bankruptcy.

Anybody?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:01 pm

IMO with trainers you get what you pay for. I had a cheap mag trainer and i didnt like it. It felt very mechanical and it was noisy, hence why i didnt use it much. I would like some rollers for training, but i dont think i will get the amount of resistance i need for sprints / intervals.
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 03, 2009 6:49 pm

snedden9485 wrote:IMO with trainers you get what you pay for. I had a cheap mag trainer and i didnt like it. It felt very mechanical and it was noisy, hence why i didnt use it much. I would like some rollers for training, but i dont think i will get the amount of resistance i need for sprints / intervals.
Rollers are great, they are harder to do sprint/intervals on due to the balance factor. Buy a quality set and you won't regret your purchase.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:39 am

yeah i would prefer some rollers over a trainer for the boredom factor, but im worried i wont be able to get the resistance needed to get the HR right up for interval work. I have seen the minoura ones have a resistance level adjuster, maybe they would be ok.
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 04, 2009 2:40 pm

snedden9485 wrote:yeah i would prefer some rollers over a trainer for the boredom factor, but im worried i wont be able to get the resistance needed to get the HR right up for interval work. I have seen the minoura ones have a resistance level adjuster, maybe they would be ok.
Visit the local velodrome and ask the guys if you can have a go on their rollers
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Picked up my Tacx Fortius Multiplayer yesterday.......rolled on it last night....WOW!!!
Best workout I think I've ever had.

anyone else got one of these ? Keen for some local races online!
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue May 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Welcome to the club :D

Fun ain't they?

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Wed May 06, 2009 9:42 pm

I emailed EMC2 about using their carbon bikes on trainers and Eric replied saying they do not recommend using them and to use an old steel framed bike. He said once or twice is ok but for extended use don't.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 pm

Anyone used the trainers with the rollers that go on the rim?? I picked up a minoura one for $12 from the tip shop today. I'm going to put together a bike from bits in the shed to stick on it but curious to see what others experience is with this type.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Wed May 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Just did the spinervals 27.0 which came with the KK road machine. It was a fantastic fun (and painful)! The trainer was great though, very smooth and more than adequate for my training. Very quiet to boot. Its nice to have a good way of improving whilest i can't ride in daylight hours due to work and travel.

Part of the workout was a 20 min TT, i gave it everything i had and felt pretty good, but i know i've got alot to improve on. When i get the chance i'll stick the data from the garmin on there (cadence, HR and speed). Approx stats were: avg speed 35 km/hr, i started attempting to maintain cadence at 95 rpm, and steadily increased it over the 20 mins to finish maintaining around 102 rpm. According to the calibration curve for KK, the avg power was approx 316W. Of course calibration could be out etc, but gives me a starting point. Think i'll try repeating the routine once a week for the next month and see if i can make some improvements.

Cheers

Jamie

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 pm

jamierk wrote:Just did the spinervals 27.0 which came with the KK road machine. It was a fantastic fun (and painful)! The trainer was great though, very smooth and more than adequate for my training. Very quiet to boot. Its nice to have a good way of improving whilest i can't ride in daylight hours due to work and travel.

Part of the workout was a 20 min TT, i gave it everything i had and felt pretty good, but i know i've got alot to improve on. When i get the chance i'll stick the data from the garmin on there (cadence, HR and speed). Approx stats were: avg speed 35 km/hr, i started attempting to maintain cadence at 95 rpm, and steadily increased it over the 20 mins to finish maintaining around 102 rpm. According to the calibration curve for KK, the avg power was approx 316W. Of course calibration could be out etc, but gives me a starting point. Think i'll try repeating the routine once a week for the next month and see if i can make some improvements.

Cheers

Jamie
Hi Jamie,

How much do you weigh? (If I may ask).
Yeah 35Km/h is 316W.
I remember on the video some guy pulling over 500W at the end, but he looked pretty big.

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Its been a while since i've weighed myself, but i'm usually approx 80kgs (i'm also 6'5"). Not exactly lighting fast, but its a starting point.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed May 06, 2009 11:42 pm

jamierk wrote:Its been a while since i've weighed myself, but i'm usually approx 80kgs (i'm also 6'5"). Not exactly lighting fast, but its a starting point.
If you put those numbers into the calculator below, you'll see they aren't slow either. About 37 Km/h average on the flat on the hoods with a standard road bike. Depends what your point of reference is. Maybe I'm just slow. Then I've got the excuse of being 5'8" and middle aged. :)
http://www.bikecalculator.com/veloMetric.html

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Thu May 07, 2009 7:52 am

Nobody wrote:
jamierk wrote:Its been a while since i've weighed myself, but i'm usually approx 80kgs (i'm also 6'5"). Not exactly lighting fast, but its a starting point.
If you put those numbers into the calculator below, you'll see they aren't slow either. About 37 Km/h average on the flat on the hoods with a standard road bike. Depends what your point of reference is. Maybe I'm just slow. Then I've got the excuse of being 5'8" and middle aged. :)
http://www.bikecalculator.com/veloMetric.html
Thanks for the link Nobody. Very interesting. Can anyone point me towards some links about typical power outputs etc?

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:34 am

In order to obtain your speed on the trainer do you have the garmin set up on the back wheel?
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

jamierk

Postby jamierk » Thu May 07, 2009 8:51 am

snedden9485 wrote:In order to obtain your speed on the trainer do you have the garmin set up on the back wheel?
Thats correct. The Cadence/speed sensor for the garmin 305 is rear wheel mounted, which is very handy for the trainer.

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Thu May 07, 2009 5:28 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Welcome to the club :D

Fun ain't they?
Absolutely!!! I think one of the best workouts Ive ever done. did a 36km hill climb :lol:
I love the fact you can create almost any challange, ones that wouldnt even exist on this planet. I think I shed about half my tire though, so I need to pick myself up a trainer tyre before I kill it again.

Think I might attack Ventoux next ;)
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm

brettjames wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Welcome to the club :D

Fun ain't they?
Absolutely!!! I think one of the best workouts Ive ever done. did a 36km hill climb :lol:
I love the fact you can create almost any challange, ones that wouldnt even exist on this planet. I think I shed about half my tire though, so I need to pick myself up a trainer tyre before I kill it again.

Think I might attack Ventoux next ;)
I've been working through the default disk but am looking at getting Paris-Nice, amstel gold and the velodrome - now that darkness is enveloping me!! What tracks do you have? I haven't connected to the web yet as I didn't think I really needed to - I've been happy racing myself :)

I haven't used it this week though - been at work far too late :(

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Fri May 08, 2009 8:29 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Anyone used the trainers with the rollers that go on the rim?? I picked up a minoura one for $12 from the tip shop today. I'm going to put together a bike from bits in the shed to stick on it but curious to see what others experience is with this type.
man nice find, I just brought a new belt for mine and it cost $32.00

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri May 08, 2009 11:54 pm

rustguard wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:Anyone used the trainers with the rollers that go on the rim?? I picked up a minoura one for $12 from the tip shop today. I'm going to put together a bike from bits in the shed to stick on it but curious to see what others experience is with this type.
man nice find, I just brought a new belt for mine and it cost $32.00
Yeah I was pretty happy when I found the same one on Ebay sitting (AT) $172 with time to go. Mine doesnt have the remote tension adjustment and the cover of the flywheel is a little damaged but I can deal with that for $12 :D
Last edited by im_no_pro on Fri May 08, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.