Best place to buy a Powertap?

toolonglegs

Re: Best place to buy a Powertap?

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:18 am

Thanks again Dean...doesn't work,I think because you must download directly into the program from your powertap.I will try and read up on Golden Cheetah in some forums to see what people say.It would be nice if I don't have to spend a few 100 extra euros to get PC emulation software!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Talked to Cyclepowermeters.com ...very helpful like has been said...was asking about specials but they had all finished...typical...oh well ordered a SL+ full system for about Aus $2200 (yup I have to pay 17.5% Vat...grrr) ...hope it's good :D .Went with the open pro rim...I know it's solid (32 hole) and can always change down the line.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:39 pm

:D Good stuff!

Whats the plan training wise? Doing it yourself or going the way of a coach?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:45 am

Not sure yet...might give it a go myself to start with..everything I am doing is working at the moment :D ...although I see you get one months free training with somebody as an offer from cyclepowermeter.com ...might see what they say different :wink: .
Got to do the testing to work out my proper ftp first...instead of my guesstimate!.

nimm

Postby nimm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:44 pm

When does it arrive and when will the first review be :)
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Be interesting to hear how you go if you do things yourself, but not sure I'd fancy it. Data just looks like a load of lines to me :lol: Was looking at LA's pre TDU training plan the other day as it gives his power ranges for some rides
December 29-31---3-day training block
3-4 hours daily (AT) endurance pace staying below 315watts, climbs at 340-380watts

January 1: Recovery ride

Jan 2-4----3 day training block
Day 1: 4 hours (AT) endurance pace staying below 315watts, include 1hr (AT) Tempo power, 350-380watts, low pedal cadence during Tempo (60-70rpm).

Day 2: 4 hours (AT) endurance pace staying below 315watts, include 2-3 10-minute MuscleTension Intervals (AT) 45-50rpm, uphill (AT) 350-400watts with 8-10mins recovery between intervals.

Day 3: 4 hours (AT) endurance pace staying below 315watts, include 1hr (AT) Tempo power, 350-380watts, low pedal cadence during Tempo (60-70rpm).

January 5-6: Recovery rides

Jan 6-8----3 day training block
Day 1: 5.5 hrs with 3 climbs of 15-30minutes at 380-420watts, last 60mins behind motor for leg speed.

Day 2: 4.5 hours with 2-3climbs late in the ride of 15-30minutes at 380-420watts, last 60mins behind motor for leg speed.

Day 3: 4 hours (AT) endurance pace with 2 climbs of 15-30minutes at 380-420watts, last 60mins behind motor for leg speed.

January 9-10—recovery rides, maybe on the TT bike
Day 1: Recovery ride
Day 2: Recovery ride

January 11: Possibly an Ironman test on the TT bike??

January 12: Depart for Australia?
What I noticed was the Endurance, stay below 315 watts. I don't consider myself a powerfull rider but its seems so easy to push over that on a bit of a hill, let alone him.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Deanj wrote:What I noticed was the Endurance, stay below 315 watts. I don't consider myself a powerfull rider but its seems so easy to push over that on a bit of a hill, let alone him.
That's on average over the course of a ride or effort, not the short duration power, that needs to be kept under/over/within a power range.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Theres that mension of muscle tension/low cadence work again :D .
I know what you are saying with not understanding the numbers Dean..I probably wont have a clue :lol: but I am still going to go by perceived a fair bit...ie I will do the tests to find my ftp and then try and keep the same plan I am riding now but now I will be able to tell if my perceived efforts are actually accurate or not.I am in my 40's now :shock: so I have to listen to what my body tells me!...I don't need a power meter for that.
Nimm it should of arrived on Saturday but credit card anti fraud checks made my card bounce...so now it should arrive next week.
So I will be racing tomorrow (Fri) and then will time my training to do a test in the mountains next Tuesday (if it arrives)...I have a 20-30 minute perfect climb for me to do a first test...looking back at my test about 2 months ago my ftp was at 415watts,this was tested by a 15minute climb (very steep) and working it out from my combined rider bike weight and height climbed on a power calc...personally I really can't see that been accurate even for someone my size!...so it will be good to know the truth :D .

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Deanj wrote:What I noticed was the Endurance, stay below 315 watts. I don't consider myself a powerfull rider but its seems so easy to push over that on a bit of a hill, let alone him.
That's on average over the course of a ride or effort, not the short duration power, that needs to be kept under/over/within a power range.
:roll: Of course, there goes the brain not working again.

Good to know I could keep up with him for about 20 mins while hes plodding along.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Theres that mension of muscle tension/low cadence work again :D .
I know what you are saying with not understanding the numbers Dean..I probably wont have a clue :lol: but I am still going to go by perceived a fair bit...ie I will do the tests to find my ftp and then try and keep the same plan I am riding now but now I will be able to tell if my perceived efforts are actually accurate or not.I am in my 40's now :shock: so I have to listen to what my body tells me!...I don't need a power meter for that.
Nimm it should of arrived on Saturday but credit card anti fraud checks made my card bounce...so now it should arrive next week.
So I will be racing tomorrow (Fri) and then will time my training to do a test in the mountains next Tuesday (if it arrives)...I have a 20-30 minute perfect climb for me to do a first test...looking back at my test about 2 months ago my ftp was at 415watts,this was tested by a 15minute climb (very steep) and working it out from my combined rider bike weight and height climbed on a power calc...personally I really can't see that been accurate even for someone my size!...so it will be good to know the truth :D .
Pick the first sin. That will be the truth.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Ant. wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Theres that mension of muscle tension/low cadence work again :D .
Pick the first sin. That will be the truth.
You might have to elaborate on that one Ant :oops: .
Did a 5 minute today on a nice climb...from the calcs it is likely my 5 minute is closer to 400 than my ftp :cry: ...but will know better next week...but power to weight may have improved by 5% or more over the last 21days :D ...might explain why I am hungry!.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri May 01, 2009 8:00 am

toolonglegs wrote:
Ant. wrote:Pick the first sin. That will be the truth.
You might have to elaborate on that one Ant :oops:
See here:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2008/05/ ... -sins.html

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
Ant. wrote:Pick the first sin. That will be the truth.
You might have to elaborate on that one Ant :oops:
See here:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2008/05/ ... -sins.html
Ah now I understand...sorry I had read that post before but have a shocking memory :roll: .

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri May 01, 2009 5:15 pm

The "Seven Deadly Sins" is one of the earlier and more fundamental posts by Dr Andy Coggan on the topic of training with power.
As one becomes familiar with power training forums they will, at some stage, run into the SDS.