Any advice for a first time Commuter?

Thoglette

Re: Any advice for a first time Commuter?

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:17 pm

provoked wrote: I ride a race bike, and only today I was thinking about a mirror. Can you mount them to a roady?
I have a Cat-Eye bar end mirror (which replaced the plug on the end of the handle bar)

It works, after a fashion. Like Ducati mirrors it gives me a good view of my knees :-)

Seriously, it works well enough, particularily when the backpack is heavy; my neck is sore; someone is wheelsucking etc etc
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:07 pm

I have one of the Cat-Eye mirrors on my commuter - it's a long way below eye level, so you need to take your eyes off the road for a fair while to do a mirror check, but probably better than nothing. There are mirrors available that attach to the bars or brifters; they look ugly as hell though ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

gdt

Postby gdt » Sun May 03, 2009 2:39 am

My advice would be to use some of the money you save on riding to work buying comfortable cycling clothes. You're looking at about the equivalent of a tank of petrol per item, so it takes a while to get enough clothes. On a cold wet day having nice clothes is the difference between a nightmare ride and an adventure.