Canberra to Perth via recumbent

glawrence2000

Re: Canberra to Perth via recumbent

Postby glawrence2000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:48 am

ps check out our MONT 2009 video montage at the link blow.
http://web.me.com/andrewtaylor111/Doomers/Movie.html
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Latest bytes from the Nullabore, some level of detail included that may be far too much information.

Tuesday 21 April 2009, by email.

Hello all and greetings from Esperance W.A.

Finished the Nullabor crossing on Saturday morning when I rolled into Norseman to find that I was so early that the pubs hadn't even opened. I decided to scrap the rest day at Norseman and am now enjoying a day off in Esperance. Went on a bit of a cruise around the bay of isles this morning. Will be back on the bike and heading towards Albany tomorrow. All up three days ahead of schedule 3350km covered so far.

The Nullabor iteslf to me was 1227km which taken 75.5 hours to complete in just over eight days. The longest day was 183.2km from Ciaguna to Balladonia which included the 146.6km straight. (the 6cm straight line on the WA map). All in all it was a good ride with mostly favourable conditions and no mechanical issues other than one flat tyre.
Whilst I am fairly confident that I haven't broken any record in terms of time I do have a claim to fame. My claim is that I managed to cross the Nullabor on a recumbent trike without needing to be a bear.

Thats right folks I crossed the Nullabor without shitting in the woods. Whilst toilets may have been few and far between every number two was in a purpose built facility.

I am unaware of anyone else who has laid claim to this title so as such until proven otherwise I am claiming to be the first.

I must note that when I refer to a purpose built facility I am referring to a fully functioning flushable toilet. Thats right folks every loaf I cut I flushed.

Whilst I am proud of my achievement I must note that I seldom had the urge so it was more of a natural accomplishment rather than one of intent. (For the Austin powers fans, no turtle heads)

For those interested I can go into more detail at a later stage yet I fear for some I have already said to much.

Anyway many thanks for the responses. Internet access has been quite limited and restrictive and whilst I would prefer to reply individually my capacity is limited.

A good friend has set up a blog the link is

I have used this to post pictures, the file sizes are large yet once again I do not have regurlay computer access to size them down.

Next point relevance is Albany should be there in about 4 days.

Hope all is well

Cheers
Thanks heaps.
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

3rdKogCruiser

Postby 3rdKogCruiser » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:12 pm

glawrence2000 wrote:The Nullabor iteslf to me was 1227km which taken 75.5 hours to complete in just over eight days. The longest day was 183.2km from Ciaguna to Balladonia which included the 146.6km straight. (the 6cm straight line on the WA map). All in all it was a good ride with mostly favourable conditions and no mechanical issues other than one flat tyre.
That's a great effort - hope you're riding home again to take advantage of prevailing weather patterns (ie. a bit of a tail wind, perhaps?). :D
glawrence2000 wrote:Thats right folks I crossed the Nullabor without shitting in the woods. Whilst toilets may have been few and far between every number two was in a purpose built facility.

Whilst I am proud of my achievement I must note that I seldom had the urge so it was more of a natural accomplishment rather than one of intent. (For the Austin powers fans, no turtle heads)
Let's see now, avg. 9 Hrs+/day in the saddle, riding across dry country (into the wind?) - wouldn't have been a touch dehydrated throughout, by any chance? :) Not to mention the general lack of "woods" in that region. :lol:
glawrence2000 wrote:For those interested I can go into more detail at a later stage yet I fear for some I have already said to much.
Save some of that for your celebration BBQ, most of us would have visualised it by now! :shock:

Inspirational, thanks for sharing this trip!

- colin 8)
- Ciao; 3rd Kog.("I'm not racing, just trying to catch the dude up ahead")
Now: Avanti Monza (to keep up with Pinarello riders), Shogun Metro (+ tag-along)
B4: Phillips Multi-track (really bad, but got me back into riding)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Colin,

It's Glawrence's mate who is doing this riding, in case you hadn't figured it out. Glawrence is just forwarding on the details for us to follow the progress, which is inspirational indeed (to me, at least).

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm in Albany, We'll keep a look out. Looks like he's going great. Lucky bugger.

John Lewis

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Guys,

I'd love to organise a welcome party for Frank when he hits Perth, if any of you are from that region and want to PM me, I'll try - as close as possible to tell you when he is going to arrive.

Cheers, Gerard (glawrence2000)
Thanks heaps.
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Sounds good.

Also try contacting the WAHPV via the web site (WAHPV.org), the recumbent riders in Perth. If he gets into Perth on a Sunday morning, when we ride, we could meet up for a BBQ.

Does he have somewhere to crash in Perth? I'm sure we could find a place for him to get a warm shower if he wants one.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:29 pm

V generous,

I'll message Frank and see what he has lined up; still got to ride the damn contraption back across the plains...
I think he is actually boxing it up and finding a steady supply of ale before a much deserved plane trip back East.
Thanks heaps.
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Latest installment

Monday, 27 April 2009 12:03:07 PM via email..

Greetings from Albany

I arrived yesturday marking the end of five days of miserable riding. Had a strong head wind for four out of the five days accompanied by rain for four out of the five days. Day three being the no rain day and day five being the no wind day.

I am glad that I taken the scenic route the extra couple of hundred of Km's have so far not payed off. Those wonderful mountain scapes are not that wonderful when all you see is mist through foggy and wet glasses.

The rain hasn't been all that much a bother it is the wind that has been the real pain. For the most it was a fairly strong headwind which made distance over ground quite challenging at the best I was struggling to get 10km/hr on the flat and at worst I was struggling to do 10km/hr on down hill runs. In order to meet distance targets I was peddling for 10 to 12 hrs on most of the days. I recalled at Esperance, it was a fine day just got back from the cruise and had a real nice BLT and Beer at a Cafe on the wharf overlooking the water and thought to myself this beats being at work, for the last few days I think I would have preferred to be at work.

Anyway checked out Albany in the afternoon and found not much to see and most things to be overpriced ($30 for a non powered campsite at a non fancy caravan park and $8.40 for a pint of standard beer). As such have decided to swap the rest day for two short days going to Denmark today and then Walpole tomorrow giving more time to check out this south coast before shooting up to Bunbury.

No major problems with the trike, had to fix a broken chain the other day which was a bit of a pain having to do it on the side of the road in the wind and rain along with the road wash of passing road trains.

Thought I would include some tips for travellers should you consider such an adventure.

Early starts make of early finishes, if you are not a morning person try operating in a different time zone, (I am still on NSW time and it helps getting up early).
Never underestimate the power of the wind.
After days and days of rain and trying to keep dry a hot shower does not feel all that refreshing.
Carry plenty of spares and tools.
Keep a close eye on traffic some people do crazy things, especially caravaners.
Always seek advice from locals. I have found the Information centres extremely helpful.
Always take "expert advice" as opinions over fact.
Always note then disregard "expert advice" provided by Caravaners.
Always carry more food and water than needed those roadhouses don't always exist or are not always open.
Eat fresh whenever possible.
Always undertake a risk assessment prior to ordering food.
Lamb shanks at the Cedunna Hotel, absolutely awesome, Lamb shanks at Cedunna two nights in a row not recommended.
Beers is a good source of carbohydrates.
Try and maximise sleep.
No curries.
Use Sunscreen.

I am sure I have some more hints as they come to mind I will add them to the list.

Hope all is well

Cheers
Thanks heaps.
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Latest Update

30 April 2009 - by txt

Enjoying a pint of Stella at the Bridgetowm hotel. 4186 km down about 270 to go.
If the chain holds out I will be in Perth on Sunday.

Cheers, Francis

Who is up to meet him and welcome Francis into Perth after his epic journey?
Thanks heaps.
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Francis is in Rockingham, on his way up to Perth.

Once he hits the Post Office in Perth, he believes he has 'Done it'.

Latest post recived last night by Txt.

At Amndurah will be heading to Perth tomorrow. Starting early will bee looking for bike paths as much as possible. End at Post Office probably mid arvo.

Cheers, Francis.

________

All be on the lookout for a big guy with a yellow rig towing a trailor.
Thanks heaps.
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun May 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Oh, I wish I had known last night. :( We did a ride with the 'bent crew this morning from Rockingham to Freo - we would have joined him and shown him the way. At least he's had a perfect day for the finish of his ride.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:02 pm

Never mind, he's made it and is camping at the HIlton tonight.

Cheers, Gerard
Thanks heaps.
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun May 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Good on 'im!

I hear it's a bugger to get the tent pegs through the carpet underlay in the rooms though. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:02 am

Last post rxéd last night.

Found a pub, had my first pint, can't stop grinning from ear toear.

Cheers, Francis
Thanks heaps.
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.