Work Facilities

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Work Facilities

Postby Boognoss » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:54 am

nitecheck wrote:No shower... :x ............I am still working on this.... I'm VERY relaxed with securing bikes & multi parking motorbikes....but getting basic facilities is a real chore.... who would think this is 2009 & we that have climate crisis, dependency on oil, a recession & it's "trendy" to be "green" .......PLUS half a dozen car spots that a vacant each day!


My work shower is currently under construction and hopefully I'll get to use it on Tuesday morning ;-).
n = 3 for now

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5770
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

by BNA » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 pm

BNA
 

Re: Work Facilities

Postby Doc63 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Our facilities are fantastic. We have a huge bike cage in the underground car park, plenty of hot showers & lockers. We seem to be spoilt!!!
Malvern Star SL500 10 Speed (circa 1977)
Doc63
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:18 pm
Location: Newport, Victoria

Re: Work Facilities

Postby nitecheck » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:04 am

Boognoss wrote:My work shower is currently under construction and hopefully I'll get to use it on Tuesday morning ;-).



Well... :mrgreen:
nitecheck
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:47 am

Re: Work Facilities

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Doc63 wrote:Our facilities are fantastic. We have a huge bike cage in the underground car park, plenty of hot showers & lockers. We seem to be spoilt!!!


x 2! :lol: I work in a complex that spreads throough 3 buildings, 2 of which share a common car park with a big bike cage and showers, and the third has another bike cage and set of showers. The only downside is that my commute is now 30 minutes longer each direction since the relocation.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10265
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Work Facilities

Postby nickobec » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 pm

secure parking and showers. No lockers, but I do have a wardrobe in my office
User avatar
nickobec
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Perth or 42km south as the singlespeed flies

Re: Work Facilities

Postby rmgrimes79 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Gday, i work at a hospital so fresh towls ever day :) shower and lockers - all in security coded bathroom and as there are about 10 - 15 male nurses i get a choice of 9 lockers :) bike storage is the only issue.... outside in tropical north queensland (sunshine 300 days a year and pissing down with rain the other 65) and a high school of 1200 kids about 5 mins walk away, no bikes have ever been stolen but there is always a first ..... so i lock my bike under the emergency stairs, have to crab walk to put it there but its dry, safe and no one goes there so no one knows about it -- so dont tell anybody :wink:
since i have told the girls at work about the showers i have got 5 regulars to start riding :P and now there is a regular 'how was your commute' session :D
"I know its a buget 'cause its got lots of numbers in it!" GWBush
rmgrimes79
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Townsville QLD

Re: Work Facilities

Postby Big Jonny » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Lucky lucky lucky, no facilities, shower every morning before the ride, wear bike gear on the road, towel down with micro fiber and keep a change of clothes at work, take fresh shirt every day, shower in a bottle/can helps. My poor Cinelli sits outside all day double D locked to a heavy duty ralling. Have fun in the shower, remember dont pick up the soap
Big jonny
Big Jonny
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Work Facilities

Postby Burner » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 pm

My bike sits next to my desk amongst a gaggle of motorbikes that also sit next to my desk. I have access to a shower which is always clean!?! Its in the mechanics area but no-one apart from me uses it. I keep a change of clothes at work to enable me to travel light............. :D


All I have to do is pick my form of transport each night, pushie, co. motorbike or co. car........... lucky me lol!!!
I want to ride my bicycle!
User avatar
Burner
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re:

Postby wintal » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

justD wrote:I've been wondering about this. I'm in Newcastle now but may want to move to Sydney at some point.

I'm a computer programmer and generally my skills are in fair demand, but how do you say "I will only consider job offers from companies with good shower/cycle facilities"?

The company I'm with now have a shower and are fairly relaxed about parking our bikes inside the office. Thought I may have to retire with them as I'm not giving up commuting ever!


Last time I was interviewing it was a question I asked during the interview. If they don't have facilities, then you don't take the job. I think saying "I won't consider offers unless you have bike facilities" is probably a bad thing to say directly though ;)

Cheers,
Leighton....
wintal
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Work Facilities

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun May 03, 2009 11:59 pm

Someone at my work was told he could not keep his bike in this office because it is a fire hazard. I was a bit surprised because he keeps it out of the way and it would not block his exit in case of fire. They told him that if there was a fire it would block exiting employees in the stairwell if he carried it down the stairs :shock:
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7312
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Work Facilities

Postby gavinr » Mon May 04, 2009 2:31 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Someone at my work was told he could not keep his bike in this office because it is a fire hazard. I was a bit surprised because he keeps it out of the way and it would not block his exit in case of fire. They told him that if there was a fire it would block exiting employees in the stairwell if he carried it down the stairs :shock:


So that bit about not stopping to collect personal possesions doesn't apply to bikes?!
gavinr
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:37 am
Location: Balmain, NSW

Re: Work Facilities

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon May 04, 2009 3:38 pm

gavinr wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Someone at my work was told he could not keep his bike in this office because it is a fire hazard. I was a bit surprised because he keeps it out of the way and it would not block his exit in case of fire. They told him that if there was a fire it would block exiting employees in the stairwell if he carried it down the stairs :shock:


So that bit about not stopping to collect personal possesions doesn't apply to bikes?!


Not if it is a ~20 year old pub bike equivalent that won't fit down the stairwell in a fire emergency :roll: I asked the guy and he said in a fire, that bike is the last thing he would be thinking of. On the other hand if it was worth a couple of thousand, then maybe... let me see... bike - life - bike - life...
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7312
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Work Facilities

Postby CommuRider » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:19 am

I enjoyed reading this thread so I'm resurrecting it a bit.

casual_cyclist wrote: Not if it is a ~20 year old pub bike equivalent that won't fit down the stairwell in a fire emergency :roll: I asked the guy and he said in a fire, that bike is the last thing he would be thinking of. On the other hand if it was worth a couple of thousand, then maybe... let me see... bike - life - bike - life...


No contest besides the obvious - good reason to upgrade.

Re: topic, our facilities are pretty new, only half a dozen people are using it regularly so I feel like a kid in a candy store. The cage is next to the carpark. Showers and lockers are the definite plus although they could be bigger and wider though. Also one toilet in the changing room and for us females that's going to be a foreseeable challenge when more people use it...
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Work Facilities

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 am

When I started at the Department of Housing there was a single shower that had been added to the ground floor men's staff dunny. It had a reversible sign pinned to the door saying "Female inside". There were only about three or four riders back then and only myself and another who did thru winter.

Now we have six showers divided evenly by gender. We also have a large room that accommodates around 25 bikes for those who do not take them to their office. It is all lockable.

But the best is we have 70 lockers, mostly lockable. That represents around 1 for every 5 staff. There are three fat lockers for community use for those without lockers.

On what it cost - The room itself is a convenient outbuilding that has limited options for use due to it's heritage status. So other than the cost of fitting out some modern showers, the cost would have been modest -
Most of the lockers are scrounged or picked up second hand.

I know about fifteen who ride all year around, and there would be many participants in our corporate wellness program as well. Despite the huge numbe of lockers (I manage these) there is a constant need to reallocate as we have much demand all year around from cyclists, joggers and exercisers and this has balooned out only in the three or four years since it was all put together.

I hope this demonstrates to building owners and employers that there is genuine and persistent demand.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Work Facilities

Postby CommuRider » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:10 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I hope this demonstrates to building owners and employers that there is genuine and persistent demand.


I agree and when it comes to cycling facilities/services I go with the old adage of "build it and they will come". Sounds good that your org has everything sorted out nicely. Good lead there.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Work Facilities

Postby waynohh » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:36 am

None. Pretty anti cycling.
waynohh
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Work Facilities

Postby revinR1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I dont ride to work due to other reasons (road surface/sign on/off times,locations etc) but at our Port depot the office staff have a bike rack {bring your own lock style} they have personal lockers and male and female toilet and showers.Over at Kooragang,even though the company just expanded they never put up anything for bike riders ,therory is expansion is tempory till we move to Greta,even further away and opposite direction to where most people live :roll: but the Island does have showers ,Terminal workers have 4 showers in a building and 1 toilet,drivers have 2 showers and 2 toilets in a demountable humpy.Females have their own locked up shower/toilet
revinR1
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Maitland NSW

Re: Work Facilities

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Facilities for cyclists?

Zip. Nothing at all.

You'd think an educational institution would be...... well, better educated :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18274
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Work Facilities

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:52 am

Hi

We have a gym, bike cages, u-bars and showers on both metro campuses. I am lucky in that I can park my bike in my office. On the downside we have drying room.

Image

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20087
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Work Facilities

Postby kiso » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Basic bike rack bolted to the wall near the front door (but it's a secure site),
lockers for anyone who wants one and 6 showers (3M + 3F) scattered around the building.

I'm the only every day cycle commuter, and there are a couple of other semi-regulars. I never have to wait for the shower.
John

Image
User avatar
kiso
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Work Facilities

Postby CommuRider » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 pm

One of my good colleagues at work who is in the building management section came up to me this morning looking very worried. He asked where I had parked my bike. I said in the bike cage. He said, that was good because someone had noticed a shifty-looking, trench coat-wearing character with a bolt cutter fiddling around with someone's bike just outside the front of the building. By the time security arrived, the bike was gone.

Just another episode to make me super-paranoid about the security for my bike. Some thoughts: why did the bike owner not park it in the bike cage (probably not as convenient because s/he has to go AROUND to the back of the block), it's going to be a long walk home for said owner, and if you see someone wearing a trenchcoat and it looks as if it's too bulky for his person (and no it's not because he's glad to see you), he's probably got a hidden boltcutter.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Work Facilities

Postby deekrockingbeat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:40 am

i work in the Risk department in a fire station and i have access to 3 different showers areas, 3 separate areas to store my bike, a gym, yoga, massage (but i need to pay), we have a cycling club and cycling jersey but i havent joined the club or a jersey.
deekrockingbeat
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Work Facilities

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 am

I work at Homebush and we have a shared bike cage and one shower on each floor (have access to 4 floors).
Am I crazy in wanting a workstand/air compressor in the bike cage area? :P
thomashouseman
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am
Location: Toongabbie NSW

Re: Work Facilities

Postby CommuRider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Yes, because our bike cage has been converted as a place where they keep the air-conditioning unit because nobody used the bike pump they bolted to the floor. So be careful with what you wish for!
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Work Facilities

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07 pm

thomashouseman wrote:I work at Homebush and we have a shared bike cage and one shower on each floor (have access to 4 floors).
Am I crazy in wanting a workstand/air compressor in the bike cage area? :P


I just go a cheap track pump and stuck a note on it saying it was there for all to use, and I just leave it in our lockable bike cage. We'll see how long it remains there!

Oh, we have 20 showers (10 Male + 10 Female), approx 200 lockers (for day use only, you have to hand over your security pass to get a key), plus bike racks for approx 230 bikes. We also have one disabled shower on each floor in the building (19 floors), but have been told "not to be used unless you are disabled". Methinks building management just doesn't want to clean them, since we currently have no disabled staff using them (most of use the disabled to change into our gear before going home, since it avoids having to go down 10 floors to use the change rooms, then come back up to drop off clothes, then go down again to get the bike)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2822
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit