Veloway at night?

split_city

Veloway at night?

Postby split_city » Sun May 03, 2009 8:41 pm

My wife and I are moving from Marion to Pt Noarlunga in the coming months. I will still be working near Marion and was thinking about riding to work along the Veloway. Does anyone ride along the path at night? I'm assuming it's quite dark so good lighting is a must.

Biffidus

Re: Veloway at night?

Postby Biffidus » Sun May 03, 2009 9:05 pm

It's a nice ride but I dunno how safe it would be at night.

You might want to check out this thread as well: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14489

split_city

Postby split_city » Sun May 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Yeah I have ridden along it many times during the day but was a bit concerned doing it at night given the lack of lighting. Just seeing if anyone else regularly rides along it at night. The link you provided certainly turns me off the ride a bit!

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Mon May 04, 2009 2:46 pm

I'd be keen to see it lit up at night for sure!

Petition anyone ?
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon May 04, 2009 6:00 pm

brettjames wrote:I'd be keen to see it lit up at night for sure!

Petition anyone ?
Find out who the councilor is for that neck of the woods and give em a call, ask them to meet you there one night for a walk through.It would be their responsibility(councils) and they can then apply for funding from state/federal gov't.getting a councillor on side would be your best bet to introducing the idea to the corporation suits who allocate money for capital works etc....

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 pm

brauluver wrote: for that neck of the woods...
I'll call that acute phrasing, given the recent news.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon May 04, 2009 7:13 pm

rustychisel wrote:
brauluver wrote: for that neck of the woods...
I'll call that acute phrasing, given the recent news.
Good call on my insensitive idiom. :mrgreen:
Maybe he should wire the councillor instead of a phone call.

gdt

Postby gdt » Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 pm

split_city wrote:Yeah I have ridden along it many times during the day but was a bit concerned doing it at night given the lack of lighting. Just seeing if anyone else regularly rides along it at night.
I do it at night every few weeks (actually, I do most of my long distance riding at night at the moment). I use two 1W Planet Bike LED lights, and they are adequate. I've seen, and lust after, the expensive Ayup style lighting systems.

If you are commuting I'd also recommend a white/red set of those single LED lights which loop about the posts. Cheap insurance for limping home when you've lost track of the charge in the battery for the main lights.

Haven't encountered the wire on the Veloway myself. It also happened on Canberra bike paths in the 1980s. I got hit across the chest and have a scar on my arm from the snapping wire. Started wearing glasses whilst cycling after that. Even so, it seems to me that the bike paths are many times safer than the roads at night.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue May 05, 2009 12:19 am

gdt wrote:I use two 1W Planet Bike LED lights
Ooh, who sells them in Adelaide? I haven't had much luck finding them or their cheaper generic equivalents.

gdt

Postby gdt » Tue May 05, 2009 1:23 am

Biffidus wrote:
gdt wrote:I use two 1W Planet Bike LED lights
Ooh, who sells them in Adelaide? I haven't had much luck finding them or their cheaper generic equivalents.
I got mine from Megabike, one at a time. If I had known from the start that I would buy two then I'd have ordered the Ayups. As it is, perhaps the 8 year old's bike needs more illumination, now that winter is here, and could do with a handed-down set of lights :-) Megabike is a nice LBS and well worth a look, BTW.

optoplex

Postby optoplex » Tue May 05, 2009 10:56 am

Slight thread hijack, what about the bike path along the old freeway to Lofty is that lit up at night?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm

No. In places it is, but there are long sections of darkness. It's path from the Tollway, then road surface with okay to poor lighting, then back to unlit path.

split_city

Postby split_city » Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Wouldn't the street lights be enough for most of the bike track along the old freeway? I wouldn't know as I have only ridden along it during the day.

Anyways, does anyone know why most of the expressway is unlit (forgetting about the bike path)? How many accidents have there been on the expressway? I would be all for a petition to get some lighting for the bike path but would think lighting for the actual expressway would be more of a priority.

alex

Postby alex » Fri May 08, 2009 4:36 pm

old freeway is not too bad at night with the ambient light until you get up towards crafers

i have not been on the southern veloway at night but i would probably not do it unless i had to
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.