Clocking the century in Adelaide

optoplex

Clocking the century in Adelaide

Postby optoplex » Tue May 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Just intertested to hear your own experiences in clocking the century (distance that is) in Adelaide. Where do you like to ride when making this milestone?

Care to share your routes and favourite rides? I need inspiration :)

alltorque

Re: Clocking the century in Adelaide

Postby alltorque » Tue May 05, 2009 5:23 pm

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 6395720586

Here's my first (just shy of first century ride) from new years day. I usually stick to the hills as there's low traffic and I live in the Eastern suburbs. Been mixing it up a bit lately with rides out to Semaphore, Glenelg etc then finishing with a Norton summit-marble hill loop.

Cheers,
Jason

bongo

Postby bongo » Tue May 05, 2009 7:30 pm

My first century starts just north of the city head up gorge rd,all the way to junction of adelaide mannum rd.Follow this through to birdwood,turning right after the school towards mt torrens.At mt torrens turn right to head to lobethal,then head down the main street and follow the adelaide lobethal road taking you through lenswood,and on to norton summit,descend to magill rd and home again.Great ride,the return from lobethal being the highlight,lots of up and down.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 06, 2009 3:23 pm

Depends where you start from and whether you want to do hills, flats or a combo.

From the showgrounds, a ride on the Veloway to Willunga Hill (and go up !!!) and return is about 125km and 1,350m of climbing and virtually no cars !!!!

From the city to Outer harbour and return via Glenelg is about 80km and pretty flat.

Easy way to do it is get on the bike and ride !!!!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed May 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Norwood to Brighton (via bottom of Belair, Springbank and Goodwood etc) then along the coast to Outer Harbour, back along Victoria Parade, over the Diver Derrick bridge, up Grand Junction, out to Golden Grove via the Golden Way (!!!) don't stop for a golden shower, back to Norwood for coffee via Main North East Rd, Sudholtz Rd, Lower NE Rd and Payneham Rd, Portrush Rd.

alltorque

Postby alltorque » Thu May 07, 2009 11:21 am

MichaelB wrote:Depends where you start from and whether you want to do hills, flats or a combo.

From the showgrounds, a ride on the Veloway to Willunga Hill (and go up !!!) and return is about 125km and 1,350m of climbing and virtually no cars !!!!
MB, has this route been mapped? And is this the Southern Veloway you refer too? I'm not too familiar with this side of town but sounds like a good ride.

cheers,
Jason

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 pm

alltorque wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Depends where you start from and whether you want to do hills, flats or a combo.

MB, has this route been mapped? And is this the Southern Veloway you refer too? I'm not too familiar with this side of town but sounds like a good ride.

cheers,
Jason
Um, I think I may have done one way, but not sure. The numbers are from my Garmin 305.

Yep, it's the southern Veloway.

After coming down Willunga hill, the bakery near the bottom on the left does good cake & coffee :D :D

Used it is a good training ride for the TdU (although it was 30km shorter and 500m less climbing ...)

optoplex

Postby optoplex » Thu May 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I am very much looking forward to trying something this weekend. The veloway seems quite foreign to me, being on the other side of town. It would be a fair distance to even get to the start of the track, so would help in clocking the century, not sure about the traffic, esp across town heading south.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Thu May 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Where are you starting from?

alex

Postby alex » Fri May 08, 2009 2:58 pm

i wouldnt be too worried about traffic if you are heading to the veloway

if you are coming from north you can take north east road into town which is pretty bike friendly, then anzac hwy onto marion road which has a bike lane all the way to the start of the veloway

just a thought
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

optoplex

Postby optoplex » Sat May 09, 2009 4:41 pm

Ta, correct, heading from north east so I reckon the hills routes will be perfect. Boy was it cold today in the hills though.