Back in the mtb world!.

toolonglegs

Back in the mtb world!.

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Just payed for my new mtb...was going to get a cove handjob... but in the end went for a On-One £185 plus 20 postage....compared to £445 (on special) for the Cove.It has a 4130 cromo frame...yes a bit heavy but hopefully will last a long time.Bike Mag (US) just gave them a great review.Made to be an all rounder...ie: free ride on the small side / xc racing on the heavy side.I don't free ride much / i don't XC race except a few 24hrs...so I can handle a heavier bike...and I will happily admit that alloy just isn't good enough for me as a mtb frame material (after snapping at least 10 frames ).WOn't get huge amounts of use...thinking a regular Sunday morning club mtb ride and some serious exploring come winter time in the ice :D .Will post a picture of the built machine...think all the extras I need are a seat and cables...should be a cool play thing!.
Just hope it is big enough!!!.

alchemist

Re: Back in the mtb world!.

Postby alchemist » Fri May 08, 2009 9:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote:...and I will happily admit that alloy just isn't good enough for me as a mtb frame material (after snapping at least 10 frames ).
Good luck :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Oh well at that price it is worth the risk :shock:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Hey anyone know what front mech I need... http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=20685 says 28.6-34.9 Dual Pull (I need a 28.6)..and have oldish XTR top pull shifters...does this one pretty much fit all?.Otherwise I do have an old XT ...8 speed I think...and a LX later model in 28.6 which will do but the new ones are cheap and have more shiny bits :oops: .

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri May 08, 2009 10:43 pm

pretty sure the shifters will be okay. They don't know which way they are pulling when they shift - they just move the FD across and back.

Looking forward to the build and the wild photos of it in its natural environment. Congrats ...

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Cheers Graeme...but when they say 28.6-34.9 do they mean this size will fit all?.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri May 08, 2009 11:26 pm

alchemist wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:...and I will happily admit that alloy just isn't good enough for me as a mtb frame material (after snapping at least 10 frames ).

:lol: Maybe should have gone for the "ugly" Surly. :P

Edit: The "ugly" Surly:
Last edited by Nobody on Sat May 09, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Don't think Surly make a similar hard tail.ah she'll be right...otherwise warranty :D .

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat May 09, 2009 12:25 am

toolonglegs wrote:Cheers Graeme...but when they say 28.6-34.9 do they mean this size will fit all?.
Yep, they come with specific spacer shims to allow the clamp to fit to all seat tubes within that range of diameters. They look pretty good, actually - you wouldn't pick that they are shimmed unless you knew what to look for.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 09, 2009 2:08 am

Oh well...I was going to order one but gave myself a kick and will now use the LX (which is all of 6 grams heavier than the XT)...saved 30 quid for somewhere else :roll: .Ta anyway Graeme...now I know for next time.Ordered a saddle...SDG Bel Air RL Titanium,any good I don't know...so long since I payed any attention to mtb bits....and some new Assos knicks...not for mtb!!!.Have a gore cable kit lying round so might try it out on the mtb.
Frame comes with a FSA Headset Orbit X-Treme Pro headset... sounds like it can handle me...so hope they fit it.
SO should take all of an hour...90 minutes max to build up a new stead...hopefully all ready for a blast next Sunday.I have no idea where they ride around here but the club has a regular Sunday morning ride so will hop in with them...they seem to get around the region a bit so some new peps to practice my french on and also show up their nice flash dualies :D .

Plus just got confirmation that it has already shipped!.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 09, 2009 8:24 am

Just curious... would not somethng like a single pivot dually last you a bit longer? My thought is it would absorb a bit of the trail shock.

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Sat May 09, 2009 11:25 am

alchemist wrote:

Looks like the one in the middle broke because an immovable object got in its way and made it come to a sudden stop :?:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 pm

trailgumby wrote:Just curious... would not somethng like a single pivot dually last you a bit longer? My thought is it would absorb a bit of the trail shock.
Maybe...any suggestions.Part of my problem is sizing...I like a very big frame (long top tube) even for my size...so at this price I can take the risk.I am only going to play and not worry about racing anymore...long time since I placed in the Mont24 :roll: .

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 09, 2009 10:32 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Just curious... would not somethng like a single pivot dually last you a bit longer? My thought is it would absorb a bit of the trail shock.
Maybe...any suggestions.Part of my problem is sizing...I like a very big frame (long top tube) even for my size...so at this price I can take the risk.I am only going to play and not worry about racing anymore...long time since I placed in the Mont24 :roll: .
Weeeelll ... if you need a long top tube a Cannondale Rize might be the go, in an XL. 5" travel. I'm 6'1" and the large in their frame sizinng for my two is a good fit for me, so the XL might do you. You're 6'4" - 6'6"?

Supposedly the frames are very strong with their one-piece machined seat tube, incorporating the BB housing and all rear end pivot points in one piece of metal. Mountain biking Australia (the good no-BS one, not to be confused with AMB, which is an advertorial :x ) called them "...stiff, like the stiffest thing in Stifftown" in their review when it came to undesirable lateral frame flex and pedal force flex. Trouble is, not at all cheap. :cry: Anyways, just a thought.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 10, 2009 12:48 am

I will check them out...but at the moment cant go wrong (well too wrong!) with a 200 quid frame in steel.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun May 10, 2009 10:32 am

No 29ers over there ?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 10, 2009 1:13 pm

MountGower wrote:No 29ers over there ?
Plently but I already have bullet proof freeride wheels and 5 inch forks...plus I have never had an issue with 26inchers before.Like i say...it is only for a maybee once a week...more likely ever two weeks fun ride...and something to ride in heavy ice / snow in winter for alpine exploring.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun May 10, 2009 2:38 pm

Just poking you. If you consider a wheelset bombproof, they're definately worth keeping. Nice colour too.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Still waiting :D ..but looking at my shipping details I read this on the returns policy :lol:
"If there's something wrong, like you were drunk when you ordered it, your partner doesn't like you spending money, or we've sent the wrong thing, then reply to this mail and we'll try and make it all better. Returns forms are here - http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/forms/Pla ... s-Form.pdf "

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 13, 2009 3:39 pm

So have my frame :D ...started to put it together and realised it takes a 29.8mm seat clamp...what sort of silly size is that!...had to do a rush wiggle order to get a ride in on sunday!.Also it only allows full length outer cables...so have a gore low friction set but the outer is only long enough to do the rear mech cable...will run normal cable for front...no biggie really on either of those...I often run full cables so having to is quite nice.
Only one bottle mount is a pain thou on a frame that size...oh well beggars can't be chosers!...I think it is going to build up nicely.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed May 13, 2009 10:27 pm

toolonglegs wrote:...started to put it together and realised it takes a 29.8mm seat clamp...what sort of silly size is that!...
The "Inbred" kind. :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 20, 2009 6:54 pm

13.3kgs...not exactly a light weight for a HT but should survive me I hope...after all I will not race it ...I will not race it....I WILL NOT RACE IT!!!...ok maybe I might once or twice :oops:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed May 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Nice! Should be good in those "non-races" you're doing.

With that much seat post exposed and the steel frame, it will be a sweet ride.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

buster

Postby buster » Wed May 20, 2009 7:36 pm

That frame will snap for sure! Third race I recon.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed May 20, 2009 7:43 pm

PS - Don't they have beige roller doors over there? ;)
---------------------