Which Road, is steeper Norton Summit or Old Norton Summit

MichaelB

Re: Which Road, is steeper Norton Summit or Old Norton Summit

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 pm

SLH wrote:Wish me luck people. Am about to head out from Somerton and attempt a double run up to Mt Lofty . No stops just ride down and go straight back up. First attempt at the double, so will be interesting.
Good luck.

How about up Greenhill Rd and down Eagle on the Hill, and then up Eagle on the Hill and down Greenhill Rd.

SLH

Postby SLH » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:
SLH wrote:Wish me luck people. Am about to head out from Somerton and attempt a double run up to Mt Lofty . No stops just ride down and go straight back up. First attempt at the double, so will be interesting.
Good luck.

How about up Greenhill Rd and down Eagle on the Hill, and then up Eagle on the Hill and down Greenhill Rd.
Might try som of that craziness next time. :)

Got it done with an average speed of 23.3 kmh. A bit slow but passed a guy on my first run who was making his first attempt up to the summit so I paced him as he was thinking of quitting a few times...but he got there. Next time I attempt a double, I might try Norton Summit Road then down Eagle on the Hill and then back the othr way. Was surpirised at the number of riders out today. Must be more teachers on bikes than I imagined. ;)
Look695 & BMC SLC01.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:15 pm

Managed a nice ride up Norton Summit Rd on Sat arvo on the SS (45 x 18 gearing) and back down Old Norton Summit Rd. A couple of berks on hybrids held up the traffic so I managed to suck some 'orrible diesel fumes for most of the descent.

Nice ride up and a good solid workout too.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:35 pm

be a better workout if you went fixed for the downhill :shock:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:37 pm

rustychisel wrote:be a better workout if you went fixed for the downhill :shock:
Old NS Rd is a bit steep for that. Learnt on a simple 3% downhill that fixed downhill riding is not a good idea for someone with legs like mine.

Freewheel is the only way to go.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:36 am

I didn't read the bit about 'Old NS', that first part of the descent is evil, isn't it. Steep as buggery and bounce-you-out-of-the-saddle rough.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am

rustychisel wrote:I didn't read the bit about 'Old NS', that first part of the descent is evil, isn't it. Steep as buggery and bounce-you-out-of-the-saddle rough.
Almost got caught out by the first 90 deg bend in the steep section :shock: Found out whilst the brakes work well, need to get some of the modern holders and DA pads.

Didn't notice it as being rough, but was concentrating on the cars in front with the afore mentioned nerks on teh hybrids holding them up.

amt

Postby amt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:55 pm

I've been riding up here a few times, trying to make it a regular route, Its certainaly a popular road to ride and a great work out. I'm surprised at how much I have improved after 3 or 4 attempts.

bongo

Postby bongo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Pinarello65 wrote:How about Corkscrew Hill? It's a right turn just after the Castambul sign on Gorge Rd. The hardest part is a series of hairpins but there's a steady & increasing climb to get to that bit.

I also recently rode up Gorge Rd then went up Fox Creek Hill Rd, which looks like an avg gradient of 10% according to my Polar data. From there I carried on through Lenswood, Basket Range, Uraidla, Piccadilly & down crafers bikeway.

I live in Hyde Park & one route I've done a few times lately is Belair Rd, Belair, Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Ackland Hill Rd which then becomes Ironbank Rd. I take a right at Morgan Rd, left into Scott Creek Rd, Longwood Rd and into Stirling. There's some really nice scenery through that last bit. Then I use Ayers Hill Rd to get back to Crafers & down the bikeway to home.
That sounds like a great ride mate how far is that?will have to put it on the to do list

SLH

Postby SLH » Sun May 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Cold, wet and foggy up there today. I felt sorry for the young kids having their races along the flat section up Eagle on the Hill (track). As I rode past, freezing (and unable to see properly through the fog) in my leg & arm warmers and undershirt, you could here their teeth chattering and some were almost crying they were so cold.
Look695 & BMC SLC01.

bongo

Postby bongo » Fri May 15, 2009 10:34 am

Who here has ridden up sheoak road!What is the comparison to the corkscrew?Have only come down it was rough and very steep.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri May 15, 2009 12:39 pm

Corkscrew is another degree (world) of pain entirely. Up until less than 10 years ago it was unpaved dirt and gravel. Believe me when I tell you that sorted the hard boys out a bit...

bongo

Postby bongo » Sat May 16, 2009 7:42 pm

I drove up sheoak rd on friday afternoon,it seems like two or three corkscrews!!Was quite foggy,wet and windy and the roads were very quiet.I made my way across mt lofty and through montacute hts,have to dip my lid to the guy on the mountain bike climbing montacute road that afternoon.Fair effort in those conditions