Priorities!...

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Priorities!...

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon May 04, 2009 2:17 pm

goneriding wrote:There is a theory that for people who struggle to lose are burning the wrong thing. A friend of mine has a diet (from a Naturopath) that, funnily enough, is one that is very high in fat (e.g. Brie, double cream etc) and little else. The theory being that he is training his body to burn fat rather than whatever else it is that he is burning instead.

This is all he consumes for a week and this causes him to drop significant weight. You can only do this for a week at a time and you cannot train hard whilst doing this.

He swears by it.

Might be something to look into. It would be very tough in France to find Brie though :D
You burn what you eat. it ain't that special a theory.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 04, 2009 3:32 pm

25 days gone and I am at 96.2kgs....nearly 4 kilos in 25 days.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon May 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Very true, however my understanding is that if your body is being trained hard it will try to store fat and will trend to burn other stuff first. This then, for your body, becomes its preference. Therefore, by only giving it fat it prefers to burn fat. I believe that is the theory.

I haven't tried it (don't need to) but know that the weight loss is significant over the short term.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Mon May 04, 2009 4:40 pm

goneriding wrote:

Very true, however my understanding is that if your body is being trained hard it will try to store fat and will trend to burn other stuff first. This then, for your body, becomes its preference. Therefore, by only giving it fat it prefers to burn fat. I believe that is the theory.

I haven't tried it (don't need to) but know that the weight loss is significant over the short term.
Dear diary,

Give me strength.

Regards,
Ant.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon May 04, 2009 4:44 pm

goneriding wrote:

Sure but it doesn't help performance. You just go slower.

You need carbs to fuel good training. Which increases your sustainable power. Which enables you to train more and ride faster. and burn more calories overall. and use a higher proportion of fats as fuel when going at moderate to solid pace....

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon May 04, 2009 5:04 pm

I agree with the point that the diet will not directly improve performance. The idea behind it is to reduce weight especially if that weight is proving hard to shift which is the problem that TLL is having. As I previously mentioned training needs to be significantly reduced during the week that the diet is active. After that the normal dietry intake resumes along with the training regime.

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 pm

But TLL is losing the weight rather quickly now, it seems due to having to HTFU for the harder category of racing. The basic principle (work harder, burn more) is just coming into play. I'm not sure a diet of double cream and brie is going to train your brain for anything other than a reliance on rich food for flavour.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 10, 2009 4:31 pm

94.9 kg this morning...at this rate I will be 87.5 by the etape...although I expect it will get tougher the closer I get to my goal weight...what my goal weight is I don't know...maybee 85kgs...maybee less.But this is the lightest I have been since 2005 which is nice.When I get to 88 I will be the same as I was in 2000...anything under that won't have been seen since my early twenties.I perfectly remember the first time my stomach started to grow...I was lying on a beach in the south of Morocco thinking what is that new growth :lol: ...as I grabbed another beer :roll: .

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun May 10, 2009 5:28 pm

toolonglegs wrote:94.9 kg this morning...at this rate I will be 87.5 by the etape...although I expect it will get tougher the closer I get to my goal weight...what my goal weight is I don't know...maybee 85kgs...maybee less.But this is the lightest I have been since 2005 which is nice.When I get to 88 I will be the same as I was in 2000...anything under that won't have been seen since my early twenties.I perfectly remember the first time my stomach started to grow...I was lying on a beach in the south of Morocco thinking what is that new growth :lol: ...as I grabbed another beer :roll: .
Good going TLL - what do you think made the difference though, was it just working harder?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 10, 2009 5:35 pm

I don't think workload has changed much...it may change a bit with a power meter.No I think it is down to diet...I am trying to be very careful with portions and not eat much after 6pm.I think when you are up round 100kgs it is OK to lose a bit more than 500g a week...but will have to be careful not to over do it...so far I am not feeling any more fatigue than I normally would (which is a bit)...but I am hungry most of the time!...only time I let fly is after training.