Shimano pedals - 505s v 540s

Keithb

Shimano pedals - 505s v 540s

Postby Keithb » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:39 pm

I'm just about to buy my first set of cleats and from what I've read it may be worth paying the extra to get the 540s. The bikes I am looking at comes with the 505s.
Does anyone have any thoughts please :?:

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 am

Per multiple past threads on MTB pedal/cleats, the advice is to look into Crank Brothers' offering. I had a M540 and the bearing gave out within a few hundred km of general road riding. Never SPDs again.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:03 am

The older spd pedals had good durability, but the newer ones don't seem to have the same quality
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:05 am

If I went with XTR series of SPD pedals in the first place, maybe my view today would have been different. Of course, YMMV. Should have that 4 letters at the end of every comment on equipment. :roll:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:23 am

Nothing to add except a second vote for Crank Brothers pedals. I've got Eggbeater SL and Candy SL pedals (mountain bike and recumbent resectively) and would never go back to the Shimano SPD pedal system.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:34 am

doesn't time also make a MTB pedal ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:37 am

mikesbytes wrote:doesn't time also make a MTB pedal ?
AFAIK, that's just a SPD compatible version. Probably with some kind of licensing deal.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:46 am

mikesbytes wrote:doesn't time also make a MTB pedal ?
Yep, Google "Time Attack" pedals for details.

Just about all MTB pedals are compatible with SPD, meaning the cleats bolt into the holes on the SPD system shoes regardless of the manufacturer.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:56 pm

One thing i have noticed in the comparison between the different models spd-sl's from shimano - the ultegra level pedal (purchased fleabay 139$) seems to better at being in the right position for the foot or more ready to clip (if that makes any sense) , it seemed that the 540 i got with the bike were always a quarter of a turn out of balance and then meant that frequently it was a task to get the foot clipped in the first go.

The ultegra model seems to balance at just the right angle so that as the pedal goes round the foot finds the cleat more instinctively. i'm guessing at the model pd-6700's i think they are, nice looking cleat too matches the other jewelery and worth the few extra bucks imo :)

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:31 pm

Imanewbie wrote:One thing i have noticed in the comparison between the different models spd-sl's from shimano - the ultegra level pedal (purchased fleabay 139$) seems to better at being in the right position for the foot or more ready to clip (if that makes any sense) , it seemed that the 540 i got with the bike were always a quarter of a turn out of balance and then meant that frequently it was a task to get the foot clipped in the first go.
Just to clarify, SPD and SPD-SL are different. SPD is for 2 bolts MTB cleat/shoes while SPD-SL is 3 bolts road platform. SPD-SL is one sided while SPD typically is two sided entry.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:48 am

sogood wrote: Just to clarify, SPD and SPD-SL are different. SPD is for 2 bolts MTB cleat/shoes while SPD-SL is 3 bolts road platform. SPD-SL is one sided while SPD typically is two sided entry.
Hows your feelings on buying the "better quality" model sogood? :) , have you had similar experiences when looking for the differences that justify buying something a tad pricier? :)

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:40 pm

Imanewbie wrote:Hows your feelings on buying the "better quality" model sogood? :) , have you had similar experiences when looking for the differences that justify buying something a tad pricier? :)
Well, one can only hope. With some things, the "better quality" can be noticed while others you can't. It's a question of diminishing returns and the placement of that inflection point can be subjective.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:12 pm

Imanewbie wrote:One thing i have noticed in the comparison between the different models spd-sl's from shimano - the ultegra level pedal (purchased fleabay 139$) seems to better at being in the right position for the foot or more ready to clip (if that makes any sense) , it seemed that the 540 i got with the bike were always a quarter of a turn out of balance and then meant that frequently it was a task to get the foot clipped in the first go.

The ultegra model seems to balance at just the right angle so that as the pedal goes round the foot finds the cleat more instinctively. i'm guessing at the model pd-6700's i think they are, nice looking cleat too matches the other jewelery and worth the few extra bucks imo :)

Yeah I often have trouble getting my shoes into the 540's for the reasons you outline. Maybe ultegra's are the go. Rest of the bike is ultegra any way.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:48 pm

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:53 pm

I am getting confused. Are you guys talking SPD or SPD-SL?!? :shock:

Did the thread get hijacked somewhere? Terrorist about? :wink:

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:45 am

LoL no bro :) just chatting about bang for bike buck , what you said about diminishing returns is true and the first couple of steps in the process still reflect good value for money/performance :)