Tour pick?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:54 am

Mulger bill wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Anyone picking Petacchi will likely miss out on the money.

Apparently been dropped from the squad with a "non-negative" blood test with Salbutamol being detected !!

Oh well, more drug scandals .....
What do they have against asthmatics? :shock:
I think that the test was above the normal/resigtered levels. Hence the "non-negative" wording of the test results

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:28 pm

There are reports in the weekend papers (who are always extremely accurate) of Michael Rogers having a knee injury and will struggle to be fit for the start of LeTour. I haven't read about it anywhere else, but lets hope come start time he is fit and rearing to go.

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:09 am

There was talk at our club about this on the weekend. One guy who knows his stuff was saying Landis still has last years tour win as it hasn't been taken off him. I missed half the conversation but apparently the tests which were done on him were found to be false or faked and his cycling life has been ruined. He can't even get a job in an lbs at the moment.

Only a few days to go before the short sleeps begin.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:28 am

timbo wrote:There are reports in the weekend papers (who are always extremely accurate) of Michael Rogers having a knee injury and will struggle to be fit for the start of LeTour.
We had similar stories late last week, but on Friday T-Mobile announced that he would still be leading the team.
I'm hoping he is fit and does well.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:01 pm

tuco wrote:There was talk at our club about this on the weekend. One guy who knows his stuff was saying Landis still has last years tour win as it hasn't been taken off him. I missed half the conversation but apparently the tests which were done on him were found to be false or faked and his cycling life has been ruined. He can't even get a job in an lbs at the moment.

Only a few days to go before the short sleeps begin.
That's sort of right and sort of wrong. He still has the tour win because he hasn't been found guilty in front of a hearing of doping. However, the TdF organisers have made it clear they don't regard him as the winner.

On the false or faked claim, that's what Flandis and his supporters are claiming, but again, it hasn't been proven, it's just a claim like his 'I had a few scotches last night' excuse.

Flandis ruined his own cycling life by doping and trying to pretend he didn't when caught. If the fool would admit to it and serve his ban, he'd be back at the top like the others who've been caught and put their hands up to the cheat. Of course, it'd be better if none of them cheated or admitted to it before being caught.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:04 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
europa wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: What do they have against asthmatics? :shock:
Is he an asthmatic? If he is, it'd be shown on his records and he'd be allowed to use the stuff. I think that is one of the sad parts about doping - athletes have a lot of restrictions on what they can and can't take for legitimate reasons. The official line is that there are alternatives, but I watched an interview with one of our swimmers where he was talking about being sick (not horrendously so - 'a day or so off work' level sickness) and untreated because it just wasn't worth the hassle with the drugs.

Dopers are cheats, and I use that term in the derogatory sense.

Richard
*pleading ignorance*

Ummm OK.

I had no idea the ol' puffer could be abused like this :(

If he aint a listed user, string him up. :evil:

Shaun
Just found this on the cyclingnews site - it is a letter:

The medical literature cites many articles describing a condition known as "Exercise Induced Bronchospasm". It is prevalent in athletes who exercise outdoors (runners, cyclist, and cross-country skiers) especially in dry and cold conditions. As a result, the incidence of needed/proscribed asthma medication increases.

Hmmm...I stand corrected on questioning the high number of asthmatics.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:12 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Hmmm...I stand corrected on questioning the high number of asthmatics.
I stand cynical, but you do have to wonder what real advantage abusing this would give. Surely it'd only work during a race and someone who took a puff and then disappeared up the mountain like a troll with itchy undies would be suspect wouldn't he?

I know a lot of people doubt Armstrong but he was the only rider/team to train over the entire length of the race and used to do multiple trips over the worst climbs. That has to help ... doesn't it?

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:32 am

Not to mention where he'd keep the puffer :shock:

Thanks for that Moo, cleared it up for me :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

senator52

Postby senator52 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:02 am

moosterbounce wrote: Just found this on the cyclingnews site - it is a letter:

The medical literature cites many articles describing a condition known as "Exercise Induced Bronchospasm". It is prevalent in athletes who exercise outdoors (runners, cyclist, and cross-country skiers) especially in dry and cold conditions. As a result, the incidence of needed/proscribed asthma medication increases.

Hmmm...I stand corrected on questioning the high number of asthmatics.
Thats exactly what I have. Not asthmathic at all, reached about 16, started getting this conditioning which is colloquially called "sports induced asthma". Doesnt "really" affect me during the summer, i used to run state cross-country, ironically it never affected me, but every game of basketball i played id be wheezing really bad. During the winter though i have to use it before every sporting scenario. The dry air, especially when cold, certainly changes my ability to breathe, very important when playing sport. I would think these conditions would exist quite year round in the mountains of France and therefore could definitely see why the humble "puffer" is in such high use. I doubt however that the riders use a puffer, it can be too erratic. Probably one of those full face inhaler things, those work a treat the one time ive use one.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:22 am

I'm not doing any tipping. It takes the fun out of watching it.

Several years back I was in the AFL web sites tipping comp (I got 791st from memory out of around 54,000) and I knew the guy who got 5th but anyway I digress. Having tipped certain teams during the week made watching the 'neutral' games less enjoyable if the non tipped team was winning so I've never entered it again. The other reason is that up here in backwards land the media think there is only one AFL team so getting informed data on the up coming round was near impossible.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:45 am

I love footy tipping - it gives me an excuse to yell at the TV when 2 teams I don't care about are playing - otherwise I just look silly :roll: :D

Anyway...here is an interesting article on the whole breathing thing. It is the one titled Breathe Easy, but I linked to the index page as there were a few other articles I thought folks may be interested in.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:01 pm

Petacchi is out got himself a nice one year ban for doping and Piepoli isnt in the squad, so a few of those picks will be wrong. Either way, I cant wait for saturday!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Just caught something on SBS news the other night that one of Vinikourov (sp ?) teamates is injured which apparently kills some of his hopes ?

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:53 pm

Vino is strong enough to win with one team mate down anyhow, since his team probably is the strongest in the mountains anyway.