public apology

winona_rider

public apology

Postby winona_rider » Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 am

i accidentally did some bike salmoning yesterday afternoon.
bike salmoning is NYC bike snob's term for riding in the wrong direction (like how salmon swim upstream)

it was near Brisbane Girls Grammar and the bike path was about to connect with another path and there was a sports carnival on and general chaos of kids and other bikes. (for some reason the school thought it wise to conduct a cross country event during peak commuter hour that crossed over the bike path. absolutely inspired)

Anyway - I drifted over to the right side of the bike lane to take the corner as fast as possible, but this other bike was coming from the right and I thought he was just slowing down to avoid kids but he was in fact slowing down to turn left (which in my defense is a strange decision. you'll have to trust me on that). So now he was coming towards me and I thought it best to slow down and stay on the right to avoid any mexican standoff shuffling like you get on footpaths.) It took him a while to register me and I think that gave him a fright. As he passed I said sorry and he gave me a serve which I didn't hear properly.

but i guess i deserved it.

:oops:

Max

Re: public apology

Postby Max » Thu May 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Winona, must be the time of year for it. Here is my public apology to the driver of the car that nearly took me out this morning.

Driver, I looked for you, I really did. I just didn't see you. When I turned in front of you, I honestly thought the way was clear! I can't even begin to imagine the fright you must've got as you hit the brakes to avoid me. To your credit, you didn't wind down your window and give me a serve. I totally deserved an earful. I suppose we should both be glad it was a near miss and nothing more. If you feel like hunting me down and yelling at me sometime in the future, I'll take it on the chin.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu May 14, 2009 4:14 pm

I think we need a WRG2L on public apologies :wink:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu May 14, 2009 4:47 pm

I must apologise too. I was feeling lazy yesterday and so I rode my motorbike to work. It took longer than it would have too. This is largely due to my refusal to ride my motorbike in the bicycle lane like all those scooter riders.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Thu May 14, 2009 7:22 pm

OMGosh! i hate scooter f*ckn*ts in bike lanes.
I always give them a serve. Usually using the c-bomb with extreme prejudice.

They are especially prolific on melbourne st and the bridge I have found.

and it's not just that they are there - they almost always hold me up. grr

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu May 14, 2009 7:33 pm

winona_rider wrote:OMGosh! i hate scooter f*ckn*ts in bike lanes.
LOL The C-Bomb :roll: They do make you angry don't they w_r :lol:

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Thu May 14, 2009 7:42 pm

Pax wrote:
winona_rider wrote:OMGosh! i hate scooter f*ckn*ts in bike lanes.
LOL The C-Bomb :roll: They do make you angry don't they w_r :lol:

yep!

ASIDE: pax - we should go riding again soon. I have been doing a bunch of adventures on my fixie and then when opportunity knocks - getting too tired/worried about my skillz to roll out the 10 speed.
will address that situation soon.

:)

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 pm

winona_rider wrote: ASIDE: pax - we should go riding again soon. I have been doing a bunch of adventures on my fixie and then when opportunity knocks - getting too tired/worried about my skillz to roll out the 10 speed.
will address that situation soon.

:)
Mate, I haven't done a weekend ride since we did the k2 Ipswich ride...thats nearly 6 weekends :( :( .

I'm definitely a no-go for the next 2 weekends :roll: but then on the 14th June it's the Brissy to Noosa Imperial :D . Are you dong that? It is a great ride. I'm still planning to do the return trip for the k3...(could be a mistake with the absence of long rides lately but what the hell...love a challenge).

Sorry about the OT comments...returning to usual programing now.....

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Sun May 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Heh, I used to ride my 'scooter' in bicycle lanes. A few got a shock when all you could hear was the 'whurrrrrrrr' of the 200w motor (legally a bicycle). Getting rid of it, f**king thing has no brakes and is too heavy, plus I need the exercise.

Personally I hate tosser's who just cut other cyclist's up with no regard. Though I don't think I've done anything apology worthy recently