Crank Brothers pedals - suitable for me?

Keithb

Crank Brothers pedals - suitable for me?

Postby Keithb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:12 pm

I'm just about to buy either a Giant CRX1 or an Avanti Blade Comp, and intend mainly to do half day/day trips of 30/60kms. I've never used cleats before. Would the Crank Brothers Smarty Pedal or Candy C. pedals be sutiable for me :?:
I can't find a dealer in Australia, what happens if I have a problem with them :?:

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:34 pm

They'd be great. Dirt Works are the Australian Distributor for Crank Brothers and carry a full range of spares.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:05 pm

Can't find dealers? Where are you located? Most LBSs around here have them, even Cell bikes.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Keithb

Postby Keithb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 pm

I live in Stanthorpe, SE Qld.
I got on to the CrankBrothers website and drew a blank on dealers here so I've emailed them for local dealers.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:03 pm

I lived in Kalgoorlie for quite some time and my LBS was next to useless when it came to stocking items I wanted. He could get most things in if I asked him too, but the cost was high and the delay could be severe.

You're in the great position of almost needing to buy online for things like this, and the good news is that you'll save big money by doing so.

Crank Brothers pedals are reliable and come well recommended by many (I'm a convert ....). They are one item you can feel safe about purchasing online, since there is so little that can go wrong with them. I say, go ahead and find the cheapest source of them on the net. Don't bother looking for an Aussie dealer, because you'll pay at least twice as much in an LBS as you will online. That means for the same money, you can get the SL version (stainless steel) and know that the pedal will last you yonks.

I bought my Candy SLs on eBay, but you can also get them from Chain Reaction in the UK and various Hong Kong dealers.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:12 pm

For the flat bar road bikes you mention you might consider the Crankbrothers Quattro, their road pedal. The cleats are designed to be used with road shoes but are more walkable than other road cleat systems. I've just got a pair for commuting and recreational riding on my 'bent.

beebleb

Postby beebleb » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:31 am

Bought and installed Smarties by myself and they've been great. The small platform is more than enough to get pedalling and they been good for all my rides ~30-40km. They could easily do more, and they were "my first clipless system" and I've been relatively fall free.