Mundi Biddi - Carinyah Campsite

Aushiker

Mundi Biddi - Carinyah Campsite

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:20 am

G'day

Took the young fellow out for a little ride on the Mundi Biddi Track on Sunday. We had a short ride into the Carinyah Campsite.

Funny thing was when we where getting the bikes off the back of the car, Cameron was complaining about a few drops of rain. When we left the campsite heading back to the car, it bucketed down. Cameron just charged along straight through all the puddles (was timid on the way out.). Back at the car, pants soaked, he says that was fun! Go figure :D

Anyway the few photos of the campsite can be found on my website.

Regards
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:29 am

Looks good. How far was the ride? I might take my young 'un out there if it's not too far for him. Might even get the young lady out there too, if the DHs are not too steep for her (she's a real wuss as far as downhills go ....).

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi Graeme

We only did a real short little ride, about 4 km return. We went from Dale Road to the campsite and return. This is an easy section through here according to the Mundi Biddi maps so it could be easily extended to say 10 km +. The maps are good as they grade the sections. If you send me a PM with your address I can send you a sample scan from the first section. Will need to be tomorrow but as it is on my personal laptop. I have also uploaded this first part to Bikely.com.

Cameron is 12 and while he rides his bike to school, he is not so confident on tracks. He has CP so it makes it a bit harder for him and he is still learning to change gears and when to change gears etc.

We will slowly build things up. He is more interested in riding than walking so at least this gets him out and away from the XBOX 360.

Regards
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:15 pm

Sounds good. Maybe we could even tee up a time to go out there together. I'll bring both my kids (8 & 11 years old) and we'll make a morning of it. I can't do it until at least the later part of July though - gotta fly to Porgera (PNG) this weekend to conduct some training and won't be back until 22 July.

In the meantime, my email address is graeme dot hird at gmail dot com.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:17 pm

The ride from the carpark cnr Morrison Road/Pechey Road Swan View/Greenmount near Rocky Pool then up the Railway Reserve track was popular with my kids. Take along your front lights or torches to go through the old rail tunnel. Good to stop at John Forrest National Park for coffee/ice cream, then continue, we got to the old Hovea rail station. Return trip is all down hill, so no whinging!

Later took kids on Mundabiddi from Garvey park to Mundaring townsite, not so popular with kids. Lots of pea gravel and track was dry as, so quite hairy.

Railway reserve has advantage of old rail base rocks instead of pea gravel, bumpy but very secure under tyre.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:00 am

twowheels wrote:Take along your front lights or torches to go through the old rail tunnel.
It is more fun without the lights 8) . Have walked it a few times.

In respect of the Mundi Biddi, the maps grade the track from easy to medium to hard. With the kids it is probably best to pick an easy section.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:36 am

Kalgrm wrote:Sounds good. Maybe we could even tee up a time to go out there together. I'll bring both my kids (8 & 11 years old) and we'll make a morning of it. I can't do it until at least the later part of July though - gotta fly to Porgera (PNG) this weekend to conduct some training and won't be back until 22 July.
Hi Graeme

Not at home tonight, but will come back with some dates/ideas by Thursday. I am away next week and only have Cameron every two weeks, but we should be able to work something out.

I will get those scans to you as well.

I have friend whose daughter is around the same age. He might be interested as well.

It would be great to catch up and for the kids to have a fun ride.

If anyone else is interested do put your hand up ...

Regards
Andrew

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:
twowheels wrote:Take along your front lights or torches to go through the old rail tunnel.
It is more fun without the lights 8) . Have walked it a few times.

In respect of the Mundi Biddi, the maps grade the track from easy to medium to hard. With the kids it is probably best to pick an easy section.

Regards
Andrew
Yeah, I got the map! Perhaps the map should be graded by inexperienced riders! the section I chose was "easy".
I made the mistake of telling the kids that the tunnel is used as a hideout by prison escapees, took quite a bit of negotiatio to get my daughter to go thru!

I did both rides on my ebay "tandem retro beach cruiser", fitted with Maxxis Hookworm slicks and my younger daughter lazing back in her seat slung down in between the two seat posts (not pedalling), the Railway Reserve was cool, MundaBiddi section a challenge, would like to go back & try solo though!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TANDEM-RETRO-BEA ... dZViewItem

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:30 pm

I took both my kids on the same ride. They loved it - especially the tunnel! No lights - riding by braille .....

I've taken my 8 yr old son up to Langford Park MTB ttack and he didn't have any real issues with it .apart from going up hill, but his got little legs so I don't blame him .... He fell off a couple of times, but was smiling again within 50m.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------