WANTED: A warm body for cold commuting

nicolen

WANTED: A warm body for cold commuting

Postby nicolen » Sat May 16, 2009 6:58 am

Hi all

I'd love any recommendations for keeping warm while commuting (36km/day. Freshie to Sydney CBD, return).

Currently I wear:
  • Cycling shorts
  • T-shirt (a wicking/wickable (?!) one)
  • Gloves
  • Gortex jacket for rainy or cold days
I'm in shorts & tshirts because it seems better to wear less and have the sweat directed away from the body...but the challenge is that it can be uncomfortably cold.

I tried the knee warmers and arm warmers but I only really care about keeping my core warm.

The goretex jacket is good for cold days (esp. windy days) but once I have it on I feel committed to wearing it for the whole trip because I take it off and I'm hot & sweaty then I ride through cold wind which is a great way to get a chill.

Any suggestions beside HTFU :wink:

snedden9485

Re: WANTED: A warm body for cold commuting

Postby snedden9485 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:47 am

I would recommend some bib tights with roubiax lining in them (fleecy lining). They are pretty warm and nice when it gets cold. Other than that, i wear a singlet, a cycling shirt or two, gillet, arm warmers and a skull cap if its real cold. But im always freezing for the first 10 mins til i get warm.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Sat May 16, 2009 8:11 am

do you wear an undergarment? thats normally enough for my core. arm warmers are a must though. i also have a cycling jacket, but have not had the need to wear it just yet.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat May 16, 2009 9:24 am

I'm recon that for core warmth it's hard to beat a wndblocking gilet (with or without extra fleecyness depending on personal preference and geography...Brisbane = no fleecyness for me :) ...Sydney probaly heaps if it was me...but maybe not you )

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 16, 2009 12:34 pm

My winter riding kit from eastern Frenchs Forest to CBD comprised Skins shorts and s/sleeve shirt under regular knicks and jersey, arm warmers, visibility vest and full-finger mtb gloves. When really cold, or wet, I'd add leg warmers and Netti rain jacket, and sometimes neoprene shoe covers.

That was enough to stop me freezing to death down Allambie Road, and across the Bridge during those bad southerlies. Toes are still a bit numb at the bottom of Allambie Road, though. :lol:

My fox mtb helmet (new this year) has much bgger vents than the old hat, so I reckon I'll be investing in a bandanna once the shoulder recovers and I can ride again.

Hope this is useful. :D

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

I'd recommend an affectionate and intimate partner to keep your body warm, but that's just me... :lol:
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Sun May 17, 2009 11:03 pm

I'm in perth now not quite as cold as in sydney but I would be wearing twice what anyone else suggested, singlet + teeshirt+ longsleeve teeshirt windjacket over that, fleecy cap with ear coverage clear glasses for eye protection full length thicker knics. lol yeah I'm not too good when it comes to the weather but this way i feel really comfy and relaxed so I enjoy the ride more. I dont wear shoe covers but I choose a shoe with little ventilation. I also still wear fingerless gloves but they are full leather, no mesh.
everyone has their cryptonite mine is cold weather! oh and mondays, oh yeah and work oh and mustn't forget my back ..........

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Mon May 18, 2009 12:26 am

Add a layer. If you are cold with just a wicking tee shirt try thermal underwear (also wicking) under that, and don't underestimate the effect cold extremeties will have on the rest of your body. Use arm and leg cover and gloves. It is inevitable that you will be colder at the begining of any ride than ten minutes in, as you generate heat internally, so you may want to shed an outer layer then - on the other hand wind (external or self generate) may add chill. I find riding a protected path/road quite different to any area exposed to wind.

mylesau

Postby mylesau » Mon May 18, 2009 1:52 pm

Eat some hot porridge before you leave and perhaps a hot cuppa as well - gets the core body temp. up.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 18, 2009 2:11 pm

rustguard wrote:I'm in perth now not quite as cold as in sydney...
Haha just wait til July :P

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 18, 2009 3:02 pm

G'day

6 C or thereabouts when I rolled out this morning in Perth. I wore a summer jersey and a vest for the core body warmth. It seemed to work okay, but I am considering adding an under-garment as per this thread.

Regards
Andrew

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon May 18, 2009 3:24 pm

sharktamin wrote: <snip> wind (external or self generate) may add chill. <snip>
I always though self generated wind created warmth, not a chill :wink:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Dial

Postby Dial » Mon May 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Full length gloves are a definate for Sydney. I couldn't find mine this morning and went into panic mode. Found them eventually 8)

nicolen

Postby nicolen » Mon May 18, 2009 8:38 pm

Thought I'd report back to the group...

I followed some of the advice and bought a couple of thermal long-sleeve tops*. I wore one underneath my short-sleeve top today so I could take the extra layer off if needed but I didn't need to. Even with the double-layer the sweat was wicked away so I was really happy (and warm!).

I also found this interesting article about using Pranayama (yogic breathing) for heat conversation and I found it to be quite effective. Anyway, here it is: http://mark.stosberg.com/bike/2009/02/p ... uting.html

*On special at Kathmandu at the moment: 2 for the price of 1 ($44)

Thanks everyone!

x