Best Bike Fitting in Brisbane?

Geniusloci

Postby Geniusloci » Sat May 16, 2009 6:07 pm

I've been riding for two years now. I joined a club and I've been doing a bit of racing (Crits and the occasional road race...). So far so good, but as age catches up to me (it's been sucking my wheel for a while now but it's actually trying to get in front..) I've noticed that I'm having "structural issues" - me, not the bike.

I figure that as well as the physio treatment (Peter at UQ - a Physio legend) I should go and get fitted to my bike (or have the bike fitted to me).

So the question is..."Where do I go in Brisbane to get the best bike fit done?" Lets assume for the moment that the cost is not an issue.

Thanks in advance

Ant.

Re: Best Bike Fitting in Brisbane?

Postby Ant. » Sat May 16, 2009 9:07 pm

I'd be asking your physio aswell for recommendations.

I've heard great things about a retul bikefit, www.retul.com for details.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Geniusloci

Postby Geniusloci » Sun May 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri May 22, 2009 3:42 pm

I've heard that Leon Vogels is good. He is a Physio, cyclist and fitter.

Max

Postby Max » Sat May 23, 2009 7:36 am

goneriding wrote:I've heard that Leon Vogels is good. He is a Physio, cyclist and fitter.
With a months-long waiting list. I have an appointment to see him on Monday for a fitting (booked months ago LOL), so I'll let you all know what it's like. My plan is to take the advice he gives me and use it to narrow down the list of bike pr0n I've been eyeing off :)

Edit: website.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

muggah

Postby muggah » Sun May 24, 2009 10:32 am

goneriding wrote:I've heard that Leon Vogels is good. He is a Physio, cyclist and fitter.
I've heard the same.

Max - what's Leon charge for the fit if you don't mind me asking? Let us know how it goes!
09 EMC2 Equip Elite
10 Scott Spark 40

Max

Postby Max » Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Well, I just got my bike fit done, and it was definitely worth the 150 clams.

First up he took measurements of my legs, hips and so on. Then he plonked my bike onto a wind trainer and observed my pedalling technique. Then he put nikko pen marks on my back and knees and took video footage of my pedalling from all angles. He noticed straight away that my knees come in too close to the frame when pedalling (I kinda already knew this). He also noticed that I rock from side to side (something I had never, ever noticed before, but it was obvious on the trainer). He determined that my seat angle and height were not right, and that the seat was too far back. He adjusted them all and had me pedal, and wouldn't you know it, the rocking went away. Can't say I noticed about whether the knee angle went away, but I'm sure he would've said something. He seemed very astute and picked up on subtleties in my movement that I had no idea about until he pointed them out. He tested my flexibility and strength and so on. He also explained the reason for my ongoing hip pain is because of the angles caused by the incorrect seat positioning.

He gave me a list of relevant measurements - being what he measured on my bike, and what he suggests: top tube length, handlebar stem length, saddle height, handlebar width, seat-handlebar drop, seat tube length, crank length, seat set back, front of seat to handlebar, and saddle type.

When I told him I'm in the market for a new bike, he made sure to recommend a frame size (based on top tube length) and crank size. I asked about WSD vs "unisex" bikes and he seemed to be very positive about them. When I told him I got conflicting opinions from the various bike shops I'd asked, he basically said this: I have nothing to lose by going with WSD. But if I don't go WSD and it turns out I really should've, then I lose comfort and happiness. Makes sense.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results. He's made some changes to my bike's setup that I think will definitely help my immediate problem (the hip pain) and has made recommendations for my new bike that have helped me with my purchasing decision. He also said that once I get my new bike, I can re-visit him for a 30 minute fitting session. He has a three-month waiting list, so if you're interested in getting a fit, I suggest you book as soon as you can.

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Tue May 26, 2009 8:32 pm

bike fittin is fr douches. just work it out for yourself.

it's like the bike equivalent of visiting a therapist. go for it. you hate your dad. you have some hidden trauma you need to expose.
lol

Max

Postby Max » Wed May 27, 2009 7:29 am

winona_rider wrote:bike fittin is fr douches. just work it out for yourself.

it's like the bike equivalent of visiting a therapist. go for it. you hate your dad. you have some hidden trauma you need to expose.
lol
I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic. :?

Max

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Always safe to assume the worst with that boy. He's one nasty peice of work. lol

matt#73

Postby matt#73 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Contact Rob from 99 bikes underwood. Rob is a qualified physio. You get free fit out whe buying a bike but Im sure he does fit outs for anyone. Just make sure you get Rob.

Ph 3341 7444

Matt

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Any bike shop that uses the Bike Fit Kit System is good imo.

http://bikefitkit.com/

I wouldnt bother with the 'free' fitout that most bike shops offer when you buy a bike from them - there was a big difference between my fitout from one of Brisbanes biggest and supposedly best bike stores, and the fitout I got from MB Cycles (even after my own tweaks).

It was well worth the $150 - and you get a printout of your personal and bike measurements for future reference/use.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Does anyone know whether his business still exists?

Max

Postby Max » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Comedian, - check this link. Be prepared to go on a long waiting list!

Max

soc

Postby soc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 am

Has anybody out there used these guys? Bikeology

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 pm

Max wrote:Comedian, - check this link. Be prepared to go on a long waiting list!

Max
He's not doing any bike fits any time soon due to an injury.

velocirapt

Postby velocirapt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Jimmy from Bikeology is very good , knows his stuff and good value -think it was around 85 bike fit. He moved after floods but should be able track him down through Bikeology website

fassyrider

Postby fassyrider » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:43 pm

Hey guys, for a road bike fit has anybody ever used John Cycling Sport Centre in Miami Gold Coast?
Kites raise against the wind, not with it. (W. Churchill)

Phill_B_34

Postby Phill_B_34 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 pm

I originally seen Leon Vogels, who looked/measured me over prior to me buying my bike and advised me all the sizes I needed for my bike, great guy.

Unfortunately, Leon suffered an injury that put him out of action for a while just after I bought my bike. Fortunately, for me, he recommended David Wadsworth (physio and cyclist) for my bike fit and after a number of months now, I’m still very happy with my bike setup and continuing to see David for my physio requirements.

Upshot is both are nice guys and know their stuff but as has been mentioned, if you can wait a couple of months to see Leon, then wait, if you're after a fit a bit sooner, then David is worth a call.

David's Website :- http://www.cyclephysio.com.au/index.php/bike-set-up
Phill B

fassyrider

Postby fassyrider » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Hey DrunkMonkey,

if you don't mind could you please tell me which one is the big and best bike shop in Brisbane as you mentioned in your post? I suspect I got my bike from there but
I did not get a bike fit with it.... I guess after they know they have sold it they just move to something else...
Kites raise against the wind, not with it. (W. Churchill)

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:54 pm

More recently.. can anyone recommend a place where they've been really happy with the bike fit? Thanks

My favourite fitter has moved from Brisbane and would prefer not to walk into a random shop as I've been hearing of a few not so good fitting stories lately :(

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm

It may be out of your way but I have found the team at Rival Bikes in Wynnum have been brilliant when fitting me to my bikes (which I bought from them). When a friend flew down from Darwin to participate with me in the RTCC, they were more than happy to fit him to his bike (his bike came down in a box on the plane). He ended up declining.

Each time I have been fitted, they have been extremely friendly and taken their time to make sure the fit was right. They explained a lot of what they were doing at the time as I was clueless the first time. I cannot recommend these guys enough.

I have no affiliation with them other than being a very satisfied customer who has bought 2 bikes and lots of accessories from them. They even encourage their customers to go on group rides with them.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel