KILLARNEY HEIGHTS to CITY

2wheels

KILLARNEY HEIGHTS to CITY

Postby 2wheels » Sun May 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi everyone, thinking of moving to Killarney Heights/Forestville. But still want to commute. Went along Roseville Bridge this morning (Sunday) and it was ok, not too many cars, but am aware that peak hour traffic make it more tricky. I know there is a bike track along Roseville bridge so intend to take that for commute. Does anyone commute from that area to the city? What's the way route?

trailgumby

Re: KILLARNEY HEIGHTS to CITY

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 pm

I used to commute from eastern Frenchs Forest to the city but have been off the bike due to injury the last month or two. My work has since moved out to Sydney Olympic Park so I too will be faced with the Roseville Bridge crossing.

I've seen guys pedalling westward in the traffic like you as I went past in the bus, and it wasn't too bad at that time of the morning (roughly 7:10am). The buses have been courteous, sometimes the cars less so.

If you're going to use the north/western side bike path, may I ask a favour? Coming home (eastward) is fine, you just leave the road up the driveway entrance at the western end and hop straight into the shared path. But I can't see where the exit at the western end connects with the suburban streets if you're coming the other way - it just seems to end in the bushes, or you have to scamper up a 30cm-wide strip between the kerb and embankment. I'm hoping to be back on the bike in 6-8 weeks or so, so any intelligence would be very welcome!

2wheels

Postby 2wheels » Sun May 17, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi - thanks for that. I think you can join Malga st doing a loop at the western exit from the bike path - but not sure. It looks like a road, so not sure if you can go against the traffic to do this loop, or if there's a side bit that you can join. I'd be surprise if there was no way to join Malga from that loop. What i'd like to know however, is whether to take Eastern Valley Way or Penhurst down. Do you know?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon May 18, 2009 9:43 am

My westbound route over Roseville Bridge to Crows Nest is:
Footpath down hill from Crown of the Hill to the western end of the bridge
Loop under the bridge and climb the little pinch to Babbage Road (NOT Malga)
Ride Babbage to Warrane Road (its a dead end for Warrane but a bike gets through) and use the backstreets to get to Deepwater Road
Cross Eastern Valley Way to Smith Street, then use High Street, Mowbray, Marlborough, go through the park and join the marked North Sydney Cycleway near the footbridge over Willoughby Road to make the run towards the city

Probably easier to understand on the Bikely map.

Eastbound can be done in reverse, but go around the loop at the top of the bridge hill (Malga), and wait for a break. Then make the run down the hill, and join the footpath at the western end via a kerb layback just at the end of the bridge (dont miss it or you have to ride across the bridge!) I've seen people do both, in all sorts of traffic. If in doubt, use the under-bridge loop to get onto it.

Hope this makes sense/helps!

Jim

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 18, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks, I was wondering about that. Muchas gracias. I saw the under-bridge path on the map but couldn't make out clearly how it all connected up on google earth. Didn't fancy going the long way round on that lower Babbage Rd loop so I'm relieved to see you've indicated a short (steep?) cut up to the upper section.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon May 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Yeah, you cant see it on Google Earth or the Bikely satellite views cause its a footpath in a scrubby area. Its just the short path from beneath the bridge to Babbage Road that is steep, but only about 25m long, and avoids the whol 6 lane section. Babbage Road itself a lengthy stretch of slight gradient, but nothing too taxing. Warrane is the same, but shorter, and once you're on Warrane at about Rowe Street or Duntroon Avenue, you're at the top.

Jim

2wheels

Postby 2wheels » Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Thks guys - that's awesome. Would you know if the route is rideable at night? Or is it too dangerous?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue May 19, 2009 11:04 am

Depends what time...but its not too bad. The only dodgy stretch would be crossing under the bridge at night. I've come across people sleeping under there early in the morning and they're none too happy. As you would be, having to sleep under a bridge, I guess.

Get some decent lights and you'd be ok. Aside from the big hill, most of it is cycle way, footpath or suburban street.

Jim

kirbster

Postby kirbster » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 am

Hi 2wheels,

I've been commuting from Killarney Heights to the CBD for the last 2 years. My route is almost the same as familyguy, but with a few variations:
From Warrane, I turn right onto Boundary St, cross Eastern Valley at the lights and ride 200m or so down the footpath to the entry of the industrial estate. There's a footpath into it just past the DAS warehouse - look for the small cinderblock wall. Don't worry if you miss it because you can go another 50m along to the main driveway entry and go in there. Ride down through the estate and this drops you at the end of Gibbes St. Go up the hill, turn right at the roundabout into Smith St and from there it's all the same. I have a google earth kmz file of the trip that I logged with the GPS in my phone, but it looks like theres no way to attach it here unfortunately.

Coming back is the same way, but I just mix it with the traffic from the Eastern Valley/Babbage Rd intersection all the way across the bridge, then get on the footpath on the other side for the grind up to Crown of the Hill. I found going down the steep hill to the path under the bridge was a bit tricky at night, so I just use the road. I've been commuting by bike for the last 10 years or so, and by motorbike for 10 years before that so the traffic doesn't bother me too much any more.

For the winter ride home I have a Cateye opticube lamp on the front and a winky red light on the back and that's plenty, even for the sometimes pitch dark run along the Flat Rock bike path at Willoughby.

Oh yes, the chap living under the western side of the bridge in a tent was kicked out a few months ago when the RTA started working on it!! :shock:

2wheels

Postby 2wheels » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks - have you ever thought about going the other way, via Wakehurst Parkway? Also, how would it be riding along Strathallen then into Miller during peak hour? (Instead of having to go thru Willoughby). I tried it on the weekend and it was ok, but I think peak hour will be a totally different story. I think I'd also avoid having to loop under Roseville bridge going westward and instead just cane down the bridge with traffic. I've tried this a few times on weekends and although not the safest route, would be much less pain than doing that loop. thks!

kirbster

Postby kirbster » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:28 pm

2wheels wrote:Thanks - have you ever thought about going the other way, via Wakehurst Parkway?
Yep, do this once or twice a month just for a bit of variety. It's pretty easy. You go the back way from Currie Rd, Maxwell, Parni etc through to Rangers Retreat and then get onto the Parkway from the concrete footpath that runs off the end of Yarraman. From there head south until you get to Dalwood House, turn into Dalwood Ave then follow the bike route signs for Manly until you get to Seaforth shops. From here I just ride down Spit Hill with the traffic instead of winding all the way down Battle Bvd, it's much faster.

This bikely route http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Dee-Why-CBD is a good example of getting from the end of Parrawi to the Harbour Bridge on back streets. It's 4km longer this way but adds only about 5 extra minutes to the trip since I find average speed is faster. And the view going up Parriwi Rd out the heads on a sunny morning is spectacular.
2wheels wrote: Also, how would it be riding along Strathallen then into Miller during peak hour? (Instead of having to go thru Willoughby). I tried it on the weekend and it was ok, but I think peak hour will be a totally different story. I think I'd also avoid having to loop under Roseville bridge going westward and instead just cane down the bridge with traffic. I've tried this a few times on weekends and although not the safest route, would be much less pain than doing that loop. thks!
Both of these are a nightmare in peak hour. Not so much for the danger factor (although that's bad enough), but there's so much pollution that I spend all morning coughing like I've got a pack a day ciggie habit. The traffic is so bad sometimes along Eastern Valley/Strathallen that it's a battle to get through it and actually ends up slower than the more winding backstreets route.

I used to avoid the bridge loop as well, basically because I had a 10 speed racing bike and hated having to get off to walk up the steep path. These days I have a flatbar roadie with a triple chainring on the front, so the climb is no longer a problem. I figure I can live with an extra minute or so on the trip to get away from the chaos on Warringah Rd.

For me its not even the loop under the bridge that's the most annoying part, it's those bloody bumpy concrete plates they use on the shared path across the bridge. They are a literal pain in the arse ;-)

2wheels

Postby 2wheels » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:09 am

Hey thanks kirbster - can I ask how long its takes you to get into town and back? Also, if those concrete slabs are a pain, then aren't you tempted to just cane it down the bridge in traffic? Or is peak traffic just not practical to do this? And can I ask if you know of any cycling groups in that area for weekend rides?