Building a Surly LHT

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Chainring is a M542, which works out to be roughly LX spec. 22, 32, 44. Standard MTB rings.

The SLX gear is rather nice. Well, the RD is, for sure. As far as the shifters go, i'd probably look at getting XT's, if i was doing it again. Seems a little too plasticy - i'd rather something with metal levers, i think.

The SLX RD's appear on the web to be somewhere between LX and XT spec, in a shadow design.

Trekking bars give me effectively 5 hand positions.

On the levers

Down the bottom corner

On the sides

On the top corner

On the top

garumchai

Postby garumchai » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Hey mate,

How long did you have to wait for your frame to turn up? I waited 5 months but now I'm a very happy camper. I've lost count of how much it all cost in the end but the result is exactly what I was after. Best shed load of money I ever spent.

I've just finished building up my 54cm LHT and I ended up with trekking bars too. I also bolted on some aerobars (no, not the chocolate bars...) which make it even more comfy. I left most of it stock but changed the wheels to Velocity Cliffhangers and the tyres to XR's. The stock brakes were crap under a full load so I've now got a hybrid XT V-brake set-up, and the dunger seat got chucked in favour of a Brooks. I got Tubus racks front and back, Ortlieb panniers and I scored a brand new BOB for AUD$400 to lug my water around for the next 12 months or so. Heading off in 10 days so should be in WA around Aug/Sept maybe...?

Maybe see you on the road some time...?!

P.S: Don't look too hard at the decals or they will all flake off. Every single one on mine has suffered but fortunately it matters not one wit.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:06 am

They had a couple of frames in stock, one of which in my size, so that worked out well for me.

From start to finish it only took a bit over 2 weeks, 3, because i had to wait for the weekend to pick it up.

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:13 am

Caelum wrote:Chainring is a M542, which works out to be roughly LX spec. 22, 32, 44. Standard MTB rings.

The SLX gear is rather nice. Well, the RD is, for sure. As far as the shifters go, i'd probably look at getting XT's, if i was doing it again. Seems a little too plasticy - i'd rather something with metal levers, i think.

The SLX RD's appear on the web to be somewhere between LX and XT spec, in a shadow design.

Trekking bars give me effectively 5 hand positions.

On the levers

Down the bottom corner

On the sides

On the top corner

On the top
I guess you have had a few weeks riding the LHT now, how does it ride for you? Did you cut your steerer tube at all?
Axles A Randonee O Noodle.

"Doc, just tell me straight ... am I going to die?"

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:27 pm

This looks like a nice touring bike when you need to take it by plane.

Anybody tried Surly's Travelers Check or similar?

Caelum

Re: Building a Surly LHT

Postby Caelum » Fri May 22, 2009 9:34 pm

I figure i probably should update this thread, with my final result:

Not too bad at all... handles like a charm... and when i'm eating well it isn't hard to maintain 23+km/h over 60km with a 5 or 10 minute break.

Two of those stints a day, and that's a pretty mean pace to be setting.. probably not one i'd do every day, day in day out, but it sure is a good start.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat May 23, 2009 9:27 am

Large handlebar bags placed like that make me shudder..... :shock: Nice rig though! :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat May 23, 2009 11:42 am

kukamunga wrote:Large handlebar bags placed like that make me shudder..... :shock: Nice rig though! :)
+1

A much better weight distribution, with your trailer, would be two low-mounted front panniers and a rear rack-top bag. With this you'll be able to comfortably get out of the saddle and honk up hills, should you wish to. I've done overnight century tours, travelling like this and carrying clothes and food. It works.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sat May 23, 2009 2:04 pm

il padrone wrote:
kukamunga wrote:Large handlebar bags placed like that make me shudder..... :shock: Nice rig though! :)
+1

A much better weight distribution, with your trailer, would be two low-mounted front panniers and a rear rack-top bag. With this you'll be able to comfortably get out of the saddle and honk up hills, should you wish to. I've done overnight century tours, travelling like this and carrying clothes and food. It works.
Alternatively you can get a front rack like the Nitto Campee/M12/Mark's rack and put the large bag on top of that, get the bag as close to the wheel as possible. That will reduce handling problems when loaded. Maybe have a look at the setups of yesteryear, randonneur/camping bicycles etc.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 am

Not sure if this bike has been mentioned before, but the KHS WorldTour looks like a nice specced bike for around $1800 (?). Not much info on the DW site though.....