Looking for Scenic three day cycle Sydney.

mohicanmate

Looking for Scenic three day cycle Sydney.

Postby mohicanmate » Tue May 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Hello, I am looking for a Scenic 3 day or more/less Cycle from Sydney to somewhere.

Any ideas? Looking for quiet roads.

I don't mind 3days one way or return + trains etc.

Also don't mind training it somewhere and cycling from there?

Any ideas, recommend anything?

Going with two other guys on road bike's.

elantra

Re: Looking for Scenic three day cycle Sydey.

Postby elantra » Wed May 27, 2009 9:18 am

Hi there !
Here's a suggestion from north of the border.
A few yrs ago while returning from somewhere down there by car i travelled via Wiseman's Ferry, then the "old convict road" to Wollombi via St Albans
From there you are more or less on the edge of the Hunter valley wine country.
I recall thinking it was such a pleasant route and would make a great bike tour route.
Some of the roads are unsealed and there are some hills (not huge ones) but lots of nice scenery and some historic and arty towns along the way
Hope that gives you some ideas - all part of the planning process i think

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed May 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Campbelltown to Canberra via the Southern Highlands. Lots of little towns along the way so you can chose to stop over somewhere.

At the moment I am chosing a route for it, using back-roads and hopefully avoiding too many hills! Menangle Road between Menangle and Maldon has 4 huge hills to get over, which I don't want to attempt again. I'll let you know the new route once I have plotted it out on bikely. I intend to take it on a 3-speed bicycle, so chances are if you have a good touring bicycle, then you should find it easier than I will.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

mohicanmate

Postby mohicanmate » Wed May 27, 2009 5:13 pm

hartleymartin wrote:Campbelltown to Canberra via the Southern Highlands. Lots of little towns along the way so you can chose to stop over somewhere.
When are you going? Are you using a road bike?

KEEP THE IDEAS COMING GUYS LOVING ALL THE COMMENTS>

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed May 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Last time I rode I used an 18-speed mountain bike adapted for touring - not the best beastie, but a fairly good one. In a touring bicycle you want long wheelbase. The next time I attempt it shall be an a vintage 3-speed. I know it sounds crazy, but people used to get around the country on single speed bicycles with only coaster brakes for many years.

I am not going for a little while yet - waiting for winter holidays from TAFE to come around at the end of June (will be MIGHTY CHILLY by then!)

mohicanmate

Postby mohicanmate » Fri May 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Any more Ideas?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat May 30, 2009 10:21 am

I had recommended the Southern Highlands for their various tourist places, but there is also a local bug: http://www.bargo.info/barblog/ And there are some nice long (and some not so long) scenic rides you can take around the area, some on cycle ways others on quiet country roads. You also have the option of staying in caravan parks or local pubs/hotels, and if you really want to hang around the area more for that time, you can take your touring bicycle down on the train and back on the train for a very reasonable price. I might be going down that way for a couple of weeks at the end of June and start of July.

mohicanmate

Postby mohicanmate » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:13 pm

please any more comments?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Suggested route:

Take theTrain to:
Macarthur Railway Station to Menangle 9.4km

Ride down "Menangle Road" to:
"The Store" 2 Station Street, Menangle, NSW - nice place for a rest and a snack.
Things to see include "The Store", local railway station and the local churches.

Menangle to Douglas Park 10.4km
Turn left onto "Station Street", cross the railway line and turn right onto Moreton Park Road
Moreton Park Road follows the railway line for a while then curves right and crosses the Hume Highway
The road meanders, but generally follows the Hume Highway.
Turn right onto Camden Road at Douglas Park and just over the railway line there are a few shops you can get any supplies you need.

Douglas Park to Wilton 10.6km
Follow Douglas Park Drive and turn right onto Wilton Road.
Wilton Road becomes Argyle Street. On this street you will find some local shops

Wilton to Picton 13.4km
Turn left onto Almond Street and then turn right onto Picton Road.
Picton Road becomes Menangle Street as you enter the local town. Lots to see and do here.
Tourist centre on the corner of Menangle Street and Argyle Street.
Local catholic church was one of the places Mary MacKillop was based.
(Mary MacKillop is currently in the running to become Australia's first saint)

Picton to Thirlmere 6.8km
Follow the remembrance driveway and turn left onto Bridge Street.
The Thirlmere Way is only for those who are looking forward to hill climbing!
Bridge Street is much gentler on the legs.
Turn left onto the Thirlmere way, having avoided the big scary heart-attack hills.
Turn right onto Oaks Road and cross the railway line. You can try the local pub if you want.
Perhaps you would like to stay overnight, having cycled about 50km and check out the NSW Rail Trainsport Museum whilst you are there.

Total Trip approx. 51km.

This is the planned route for my next Southern Highlands Tour. I havn't cycled this route personally, but from what I can gather from whereis.com and google-maps its less than an hour's cycle between localities, and you are never too far from a railway station if you need to bail out.

Will follow up with ideas for day 2, I'm trying to find the website which details some nice long scenic rides around the area

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Found it! Days 2 and 3 could be made up of some local tourism and perhaps taking the various rides listed at this link:
http://www.pedalpower.org.au/services/r ... ride48.asp
RIDES

There are a variety of rides that can be done to suit all levels of speed, endurance, leasure, sightseeing and historic or natural curiosity. The roads are generally sealed minor roads linking local villages. Some are a little narrow and a mirror greatly increases your sense of well being. The Illawara Highway gets moderately heavy traffic (but is reasonably wide), the Moss Vale to Fitzroy Falls and Mossvale to Bundanoon roads get moderate traffic, and most of the remaining country roads get light traffic. The road between Moss Vale, Bowral and Mittagong is essentially an urban road and gets heavy traffic.

Big Rides

There are some good loops of over 100 klms to be done from any of the towns. The 'van park at Mittagong is a good base for most of these. The hostel at Bundanoon is also a good centre for big rides.

1. Mittagong
Leave town from the north and after the bridge over the railway turn right and follow the signs towards the airport. When you get to the "old south road" turn right and assault the hill behind Mittagong. Just beyond the crest of this hill is the "Range Road" coming up from Mittagong (a possible short cut), turn left (east) towards Robertson. At the 'T' intersection 8 km on turn left towards Glenquarie, left about 10km further toward Maquarie Pass and right 8 km on at the Illawara Highway, to head back toward Robertson.

You'll be hungry by the time you get to the pie shop some 4 km further on. These pies are renowned - my favourites are the fruit pies and the sausage rolls.

Head to Roberston and 2 km further on turn left onto the road to Fitzroy Falls. This will probably be a good lunch stop. Although there isn't a great variety of food (take some sandwiches), there is the essential ice cream. There are also some great views over the Falls and just to keep loosened up some good walks. There is also a camp ground here and those with tents might prefer to use this loop but stay overnight at the Falls.

Keep going to Moss Vale. When you get to the main street turn left and then right at the signposted road to Berrima just after the railway bridge. Berrima is a good spot for afternoon tea, if you keep an eye out you might see the alpacas in their little pen outside the alpaca shop. Leave Berrima to the north along the old Hume Highway taking the second road to Bowral about 6 km on. When you get to Bowral either follow the main road (left) straight to Mittagong or if you still need more exercise take the scenic route via 'The Jib', which gives a great view of about 270 degrees. This loop is about 100 km and has a moderate amount of climbing and predominently good roads.

2. Bundanoon
1. Head south to Penrose then cross the rail line and continue on the gravel road to Tallong, where you regain the sealed road to Marulan. Go into Marulan and follow the Brayten Road for about 8 km, turn left on the track to Canyonleigh (locality). Keep to the left leaving Canyonleigh to head generally east to the intersection of the Hume Highway and the start of the Illawara highway. Turn left and follow the highway (use the sealed road verge) to the Freeway stopover (with MacDonalds if you're so inclined). Turn left and follow the Exeter road for about 5 km, turning right (south) to follow the gravel road into Bundanoon. This loop is about 90 km with a small amount of climbing but 40 km of good to rough gravel and unmade (natural surface) road.

2. Leave to the north taking the left turn to cross over the rail and follow the signposted route towards the Hume Highway. At the highway turn right and follow the sealed verge to the Berrima turn off, continue into Berrima and on toward Mittagong. About 9km beyond Berrima turn left on the Wombeyan Caves Road and follow it for 7 km, turning left on the Joadja - Berrima road leading back into Berrima. Head south out of town but just after the small river turn left towards Moss Vale. Take either the Sutton Forest or Werai route to Exeter and back to Bundanoon. This is about 90 km with a small amount of climbing and predominently good roads. This route can also be done from Mittagong by heading out along the old highway to the Wombeyan Caves Road etc.

Scenic Rides

Many would argue that all the rides in this area are scenic, however some are more so than others.

1. Fitzroy Falls
These are a pleasant 20 km from Moss Vale, 25 km from Bowral and 35 km from Bundanoon. There are a number of walks around the deep valley that is headed by the falls themselves, the walks vary from a few minutes to hours. The surrounding roads traversing Wildes Meadow, Burrawang and Myra Vale have frequent extensive veiws of rolling country and quaint little villages.

2. Glenquarry
Glenquarry is on the road following the northern edge of the plateau that hosts the Southern Highlands leading between Mittagong and the top of Macquarie Pass. It offers magnificent veiws north east toward Sydney. While the climb out from Bowral and Mittagong is a little gruelling the loop through Glenquarry, Robertson and Kangaloon is well worth while for those who appreciate good views.

3. Belmore Falls
These falls are on a lovely loop road leading south out of Robertson. The loop can be taken as a longer alternative to the main road leading from just west of Robertson south to Fitzroy Falls (via Myra). Good views out over upper reaches of Kangaroo Valley.

4. Morton National Park
While the already mentioned access to the park from Bundanoon offers plenty of convenience and wonderful views out over Bundanoon Ck, quieter and more impressive views are available to the more adventuresome by heading south then east from Tallong. Take the road opposite the railway station (left when headed towards Marulan) for about 25 km. The road is little more than a track at the end, which is just above Tallowa Dam on the Shoalhaven river. At many places along this road you look out over the Shoalhaven Gorge. There are plenty of rolling pasture in this grazing country as well as good distances of well shaded road through native eucalypt forest. The road is gravel for most of its length and is conveniently done by first catching the train (or other transport) to Tallong.

5. History
The visitor information centres have plenty of guides for those interested in historic sites. Many of the towns have buildings which are quite old by European Australian standards, and quite interesting history. Berrima is a favourite town to visit because of the many fine antique shops (and coffee shops with wicked cakes).

There are a number of good maps for the area including the Robinson's guide to the Southern Highlands and the NRMA's Southern Highlands Holiday map (free to members).

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:20 pm

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/306170

The leg between Douglas Park and Wilton is a fair climb, so stop overs at both points will be beneficial to you.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:58 pm

. Bundanoon
1. Head south to Penrose then cross the rail line and continue on the gravel road to Tallong, where you regain the sealed road to Marulan. Go into Marulan and follow the Brayten Road for about 8 km, turn left on the track to Canyonleigh (locality). Keep to the left leaving Canyonleigh to head generally east to the intersection of the Hume Highway and the start of the Illawara highway. Turn left and follow the highway (use the sealed road verge) to the Freeway stopover (with MacDonalds if you're so inclined). Turn left and follow the Exeter road for about 5 km, turning right (south) to follow the gravel road into Bundanoon. This loop is about 90 km with a small amount of climbing but 40 km of good to rough gravel and unmade (natural surface) road.
IF that is a bit more than time or endurance allows, don't miss Morton National Park only 5 minutes downhill ride from the centre of Bundanoon
And whether or not you visit the National park, the "Ye Old Bicycle Shop" cafe and bicycle hire place must not be missed
more info courtesy of Pedalpower.org.au http://www.pedalpower.org.au/services/r ... ride26.asp

mohicanmate

Postby mohicanmate » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Love it, will look into it more.

Keep the ideas coming.

Tale

Postby Tale » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:09 pm

elantra wrote:Hi there !
Here's a suggestion from north of the border.
A few yrs ago while returning from somewhere down there by car i travelled via Wiseman's Ferry, then the "old convict road" to Wollombi via St Albans
From there you are more or less on the edge of the Hunter valley wine country.
I recall thinking it was such a pleasant route and would make a great bike tour route.
Some of the roads are unsealed and there are some hills (not huge ones) but lots of nice scenery and some historic and arty towns along the way
Hope that gives you some ideas - all part of the planning process i think
Well, believe it or not, I've just done this ride because of your post. I often drive from Sydney to Port Stephens to visit relatives, so I took a few days off and cycled it via your route instead.

Weather's been very cold and windy in NSW so I've been wearing a lot of layers! Carried camping gear but went for warmer accommodation each night instead. Here's a brief report:

Day 1, 68km - Sydney to Wisemans Ferry: I spent the morning fixing bike and packing, so it was only a half day. Scary traffic along Old Northern Road, lots of B-doubles, cement mixers and other heavy trucks. Stayed at Wisemans Ferry pub - very basic rooms at rip-off prices, but the food at the pub is good.

Day 2, 110km (45km on dirt) - Up bright and early, everything covered in frost, put on all my winter gear and caught the road ferry. "Now you're in Siberia" said the ferry bloke when we reached the other side, and it sure was chilly. Road was sealed for a bit, then dirt for about 10km until St Albans (I was on wrong side of river, on Settlers Rd instead of St Albans Rd). I read a tourist brochure that said it was all "mostly sealed" nowadays, so I got a shock when the sign at St Albans said "gravel road 35km". Ate half a block of Cadbury's and headed up the unsealed road. Corrugated in some parts, with nervous cattle on the road (area called St Albans Common). Eventually it turns into Yengo National Park, very remote and silent, no mobile phone signal, maybe 1 car every 30 mins. Significant climb (300m gain on dirt) then corrugated descent to Bucketty and ... back to wonderful sealed road! Very tired after that but pushed on to Cessnock, arrived in dark with my lights on and stayed at a motel (pick one).

Day 3, 106km - Easy ride to Maitland, then went the long way round to Raymond Terrace via Morpeth - big, long bridge there made of old-fashioned wooden slats, no cycleway - sign tells cyclists to dismount and walk across (I ran with my bike because there was traffic behind me). Very scenic after that across the Hunter flood plain. Reached highway and headed north to Hawks Nest (free accommodation with relatives). Halfway along the highway two workmen used one of my water bottles to restart a young blonde woman's overheated car. Unfortunately instead of starting our future life together, she just drove off.

Day 4, 50km (today) - Got 10am ferry from Tea Gardens (near Hawks Nest) to Nelson Bay, cycled long boring flat ride down to Stockton, ferry across to Newcastle, back to Sydney on the train.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:55 am

Tale wrote:Well, believe it or not, I've just done this ride because of your post. I often drive from Sydney to Port Stephens to visit relatives, so I took a few days off and cycled it via your route instead.

Day 1, 68km - Sydney to Wisemans Ferry: I spent the morning fixing bike and packing, so it was only a half day. Scary traffic along Old Northern Road, lots of B-doubles, cement mixers and other heavy trucks. Stayed at Wisemans Ferry pub - very basic rooms at rip-off prices, but the food at the pub is good.

Day 2, 110km (45km on dirt) - Up bright and early, everything covered in frost, put on all my winter gear and caught the road ferry. "Now you're in Siberia" said the ferry bloke when we reached the other side, and it sure was chilly. Road was sealed for a bit, then dirt for about 10km until St Albans (I was on wrong side of river, on Settlers Rd instead of St Albans Rd). I read a tourist brochure that said it was all "mostly sealed" nowadays, so I got a shock when the sign at St Albans said "gravel road 35km". Ate half a block of Cadbury's and headed up the unsealed road. Corrugated in some parts, with nervous cattle on the road (area called St Albans Common). Eventually it turns into Yengo National Park, very remote and silent, no mobile phone signal, maybe 1 car every 30 mins. Significant climb (300m gain on dirt) then corrugated descent to Bucketty and ... back to wonderful sealed road! Very tired after that but pushed on to Cessnock, arrived in dark with my lights on and stayed at a motel (pick one).

Day 3, 106km - Easy ride to Maitland, then went the long way round to Raymond Terrace via Morpeth - big, long bridge there made of old-fashioned wooden slats, no cycleway - sign tells cyclists to dismount and walk across (I ran with my bike because there was traffic behind me). Very scenic after that across the Hunter flood plain. Reached highway and headed north to Hawks Nest (free accommodation with relatives). Halfway along the highway two workmen used one of my water bottles to restart a young blonde woman's overheated car. Unfortunately instead of starting our future life together, she just drove off.

Day 4, 50km (today) - Got 10am ferry from Tea Gardens (near Hawks Nest) to Nelson Bay, cycled long boring flat ride down to Stockton, ferry across to Newcastle, back to Sydney on the train.
Thanks for your posting, sounds like it is not a ride for the faint-hearted, and its practicality would depend on the state of road-maintenance and the time of year etc.
I recall it from a car trip spring 2005, a nice time of year with lots of flowers and nice moderate weather.
Also i did a NSW "big ride" multi-day ride which followed part of this route in 1991

Re : day 1, Getting out of a city without too much mental or physical trauma is often a problem.
Re : day 3, It is a great warm-fuzzy to come to the rescue of motorised damsel-in-distress.
Re : day 4, I love that boat from Tea Gardens to Port Stephens.
I have been on it about 3 times in the last 12 yrs and have seen dolphins every time !
Thanks again, i think i will try it sometime, Stephen

Tale

Postby Tale » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:16 pm

elantra wrote:Re : day 4, I love that boat from Tea Gardens to Port Stephens.
I have been on it about 3 times in the last 12 yrs and have seen dolphins every time !
Thanks again, i think i will try it sometime, Stephen
Yeah, we saw dolphins - two of them came up to the boat and had a look at us, but some others were busy ... uh ... mating. Two males competing for one female. This involved some full jumping out of the water, so it was kind of awesome. I see dolphins every time on that boat too - crew said there were about 140 dolphins counted in Port Stephens recently, plus some visiting humpbacks.

Cheers, ride wasn't really that hard - also you suggested heading for the Hunter Valley wine area, which would be good relief after the dirt day, but I didn't have time. I've cycled the Hunter wineries before and would recommend it. Just don't do it in spring if you hate magpie attacks :) There was a very ferocious magpie between Broke Road and Cessnock when I was there in 2006!
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Munster

Postby Munster » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:46 pm

hartleymartin wrote:http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/306170
The leg between Douglas Park and Wilton is a fair climb
, so stop overs at both points will be beneficial to you.
I live at Wilton and have done this 10km leg a few times, its a very challenging climb heading away from Douglas Park.
2010 Giant TCR Advanced
2010 GT Avalanche 2.0