Donchya just hate Ebay/PBK/Torpedo7 et al

MichaelB

Donchya just hate Ebay/PBK/Torpedo7 et al

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 pm

I am the type of person who finds it hard to resist a "bargain"

Especially when the benefits of the new good gear to have is well and truly explained over the poor rubbishy cheap stuff that you have.

It is even worse when you can get the top of the line yeau beaut gear for the same/slightly more than what the base model can be had at the LBS

e.g.

Base model item (AT) LBS = $140, top line version (AT) LBS = $599
Top of the line version (AT) Internet = $220

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

[sigh]
Life is hard isn't it ?
[sigh/]

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:38 pm

Perhaps I should put it in the 'quotes' thread, but ... "If you keep saving on bargains like that, you'll be a millionaire in no time. :? "
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:50 pm

What is it that you are looking at?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:18 pm

mikesbytes wrote:What is it that you are looking at?
Pedals - based on a lengthy discussion with the LBS (Revolution Cycle Centre in Adelaide) re the upcoming bike fit and the fact that my left leg is not only shorter but rotated (by 15 degrees outwards), there needs to be a better look at how my foot is best set up.

The Time RXS pedals were discussed and felt that these would be better to cope with the rotation of my foot as well as their quality. Their design is such that the float is more about the centre of the foot rather than the tip of the cleat (near the toes) and that they have the ability to have lateral float as well.

The base model RXE is $140 at the LBS, whilst the RXS is $240. Via the net, the RXS can be had for $140. I can get the RXS Carbon/Ti ones for $257 vs $600 locally .....

A lot of money for pedals, but I'd rather do it once and properly, and besides, I don't want to bugger up my knee anymore that I have to, as I want to have many more years of walsking with it.

Another for the quote file "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Gee, does it sound like I have talked myself into it .... :roll:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:53 pm

You need to weigh up the "political cost" of buying online after seeking and getting good advice from your LBS. Should you now make your purchase online, you run the risk of pissing off your LBS when you take your bike in there for some other reason. You may find that source of good information suddenly dries up.

Sometimes it's actually worth paying a higher monetary price for an item when the pay-off is good service/advice. My suggestion is to get the cheapest ones that work through the LBS, then at some later date (probably when they wear out) purchase the really good ones online..

Your decision, but choose wisely: The money or the box ..... ?

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Had a bit of a look on google at these and found this, http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/drive ... 03crx.aspx Not trying to be a downer on these but I suppose it could be relevant before you hand over the readies. :cry:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:08 pm

I use Time pedals as I was advised the float would be beneficial for my wayward joints (damn knees and ankles) and that one leg doesn't track straight.

Anyways...

I have the RXE (the recalled ones - I didn't send them back) on Blade. These have done 1500km on the road and, I'm guessing about 5000km on the trainer so far. I was using these from about 100kg down.

I have the RXS Carbon :roll: on Scotty and have 1700km on them so far. From about 86kg down.

So far, I have not had a problem with either set and would recommend them to anyone. My LBS dude Steve also rides these and recommends them to everyone. Of course, if you read his bio, he knows a bit more about them than me :wink: He actually has a serious hip abnormality and these are the only pedals he can use that don't cause pain.

I'm not saying they will be perfect, and they may break - just as some of the Shimano's people have commented on here - but they are not a dodgy pedal by any means.

I think you will find the rxs is used by many pro teams (saunier duval for one) and they wouldn't use them if they failed. I'm sure David Millar will put more load on them than I will.

I love mine so you can't have them :P

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:51 am

Parrott wrote:Had a bit of a look on google at these and found this, http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/drive ... 03crx.aspx Not trying to be a downer on these but I suppose it could be relevant before you hand over the readies. :cry:
Thanks for that link - interesting reading. Most of the breakage comments come from late 2005, so maybe a batch problem ? Will definitely ask the LBS guy on this issue.

I guess it is the same as many reviews - it is an opinion, but only with limited facts provided - just like a wheel debate - some love 'em, sopme hate 'em. :roll:

In the discussions (he also doubles as a bike mechanic for a few teams) and mentioned that this is the only pedal that he hasn't seen anyone clip out of accidentally, but all others he has seen varying degrees.

Thanks also for your input Moo - I still like the idea of them, and will see how the bike fit goes tomorrow and what the outcome will be.

The only thing I don't like, is that using these pedals will mean a road shoe (vs MTB) and that takes away a want that I have in being able to walk in them.

I will also be upfront with the guy at the LBS re the pricing and sourcing them from elsewhere - I will be getting some things from there and my bike serviced, so it's not like I'm taking and not giving at all.

I'll let you know on Monday !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:08 am

Kalgrm wrote:You need to weigh up the "political cost" of buying online after seeking and getting good advice from your LBS. Should you now make your purchase online, you run the risk of pissing off your LBS when you take your bike in there for some other reason. You may find that source of good information suddenly dries up.

Sometimes it's actually worth paying a higher monetary price for an item when the pay-off is good service/advice. My suggestion is to get the cheapest ones that work through the LBS, then at some later date (probably when they wear out) purchase the really good ones online..

Your decision, but choose wisely: The money or the box ..... ?

Cheers,
Graeme
Point noted, and I will be upfront with the guy from the LBS, but at the same time, discounts of between 40 & 50% are significant. The difference can help pay for a pair of shoes that i will buy from them.

On the point of buying cheaper first, I'm more of the point, do it right the firtst time. (budget & willpower permitting) :roll:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:33 am

MichaelB wrote:In the discussions (he also doubles as a bike mechanic for a few teams)
Just to back that up - he coaches top level local riders (including a state champion), he wrenches at all the big races in Oz, at the TdUnder this year, he wrenched for O'Grady's team. The bloke's no idiot ... which of course, just means that he makes more interesting mistakes :roll:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it