Sandmans Cycling Blog

sandman

Re: Sandmans Cycling Blog

Postby sandman » Wed May 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Spiza wrote:Welcome back Pete :D
It's great to hear you're back on the bike and enjoying it once again. It might be time to add a TT bike the stable :D
Spizzzzzzaaaaa

Mate, funny you should say that, he's offered to let me ride it whenever I want..I think its going to be a problem for the bacnk account :-) He rides with Carbon Bontragers and glued on tyres.....no support car out at 6:00am in Alice :-)

Pete

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed May 20, 2009 2:49 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Cool, another log.

Did you ride with Marian, who worked the previous 2 weeks at Alice Springs hospital ?
Mike

This place is so full of transients, too hard to keep track of the commings and goings. I find though Hospital People tend to ride MTBs rather than road ( up here anyway)...so thats probably why I never came across that person. Carol (wifey) is going to get me an intro with some of the harder core MTB pple at the Hospital so maybe me go ride with them.

Pete

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Wed May 20, 2009 3:23 pm

sandman wrote:
Spiza wrote:Welcome back Pete :D
It's great to hear you're back on the bike and enjoying it once again. It might be time to add a TT bike the stable :D
Spizzzzzzaaaaa

Mate, funny you should say that, he's offered to let me ride it whenever I want..I think its going to be a problem for the bacnk account :-) He rides with Carbon Bontragers and glued on tyres.....no support car out at 6:00am in Alice :-)

Pete
Screw the bank account Pete! You can't live in the middle of nowhere and not have enough toys to play with :D

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 20, 2009 3:51 pm

sandman wrote:He rides with Carbon Bontragers and glued on tyres.....no support car out at 6:00am in Alice :-)
No wonder he is keen to ride with you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed May 20, 2009 4:41 pm

sogood wrote:
sandman wrote:He rides with Carbon Bontragers and glued on tyres.....no support car out at 6:00am in Alice :-)
No wonder he is keen to ride with you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sogood

So when I offer him a tube and C02 cannister and ride away....I say to you "Suffer Bitch" :-) You wanna ride those Euro girly wheels, make your own way home :-)

Pete

bmxbandito

Postby bmxbandito » Wed May 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Maybe if he just yells get back to C grade you waanker you can do a turn on the front thats not going to embarass the hell out of the go fast red machine :lol:

Had a thought today Pete after finishing off a Cervelo carbon S2 with campag 11speed & easton carbon tubulars that is going to get raced in C grade. Since F1 is imposing money caps on the teams if riding a bike worth that much you should be put straigt into A grade regardless of your ability, poor bike only C grade.

E grade 500 - $1200
D grade 800 -$1500
C grade 1000 - $3000
B grade 1500 - $4500
A grade whatever you want.
coffee shop westie $ 10,000 max
coffee shop city whatever you want.

hope no one else sees this hehehe :shock: BTW the Cervelo looked so cool & I just felt sorry for him that he wasn't going to get to go flat out with all that bling on him.Anyway I told the guy to hurry up & get his arse in A grade with a bike like that. :)

Good to hear from you again you old fart, I'LL be off the bike for about a month now :evil: but i wont be be bitchin & moanin when i get back on like someone else i know ( sandman cry baby).Keep up with the TT man anyway.

Just the way you like it Jeff

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed May 20, 2009 8:22 pm

bmxbandito wrote:Just the way you like it Jeff
Dude, you know me too well.. :-) Suffering on the way home today pulling my mate on the Fixie home. Man, there aint no better feeling than leg burn, no pussy hill riding (real mountains like in Europe excluded) just keeping the juice on. One thing I've found though doing endless TTs, smooth 360 revolutions are key and keep a straight face and dont show how much your suffering...

Miss ur banging on BMXgirl :-)

Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri May 22, 2009 10:59 am

Awesesome ride in this morning, Billy, TJ and myself. Billy is on the TT thing all dressed in his US postal gear, looks impressive and the bastard can ride :-) TJ is about to head back to the US so he sold his road carbon bike however he's riding his fixie, think its 46-47 on front with a 14 on the back...tough bastard but keep him over 40km/hr for a while and he's in the hurtbox :-)

Most of the ride was at 4c this morning with pockets of 1c, was a tad cold. Thought I'd sit onthe back today and let Billy do the work, well that lasted for 30 seconds, that Specialized is posessed, it rode to the front all on its own and made me work hard :-) Reckon I did some really good pulls but a bit of a way to go, riding in 3 days per week is good and getting more motivated to join the Sat/Sun bunch rides....

Spizz reckons I should go and get a TT bike, might get serious and take Billy's bike for a spin, it does look uber cool and is darn fast and idealy suited to the type of riding we do in Alice..

We're off this arvo at 3 and out to Gloria Jeans to "watch the world go by"....still waiting for the influx of Sweedish chickie babes :-)

Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Sat May 23, 2009 10:57 am

Weather in Alice today is simply stunning. Slight breeze, probably 22-23 outside currently, high of 26-27 I saw on weatherzone...going to head out to a 4x4 expo and then go for a ride up to the high point marker, too good to be indoors :-)

Sandman

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 23, 2009 11:18 am

[jellous]Weather in Alice today is simply stunning[/jellous]
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sandman

Postby sandman » Sat May 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Mike

26c today, not a cloud in the sky, t-shirt n shorts. Got a bit lazy, didn't get onto the bike till 3:00pm. Took the mongoose for a ride out to Simpsons Gap again, bit of HTFU, pushing big gears, sweating like a piggy, good 2 hour ride.....Passed a few "pretties" on the way, man it doesn't get any better than this..

Suspect I'll get Carol onto her roadie tomorrow and I'll get back on the goose and we'll head out there somewhere for breakfast. It is an awesome time of year out here :-)

Sandman smiling again :-)

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat May 23, 2009 6:17 pm

sandman wrote:Weather in Alice today is simply stunning. Slight breeze, probably 22-23 outside currently, high of 26-27 I saw on weatherzone...going to head out to a 4x4 expo and then go for a ride up to the high point marker, too good to be indoors :-)
Enjoy Pete. Weather in Sydney is very ordinary at the minute, windy and raining. Good HTFU stuff, just the way you like it :wink:
FPR Ragamuffin

sandman

Postby sandman » Sat May 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Chuckster, I'd need my wingman BMXBandito to keep yelling at me to HTFU :-) to ride in Sydney. Had a quick look at the BOM site, we had 27c today, man it was good. Cant say I miss the rain at all but I sure miss the Blue Mountains and the Lifecycles ride :-(

Good to hear from ya mate :-)

Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Mon May 25, 2009 8:39 am

Well I was a little off in the temp readings for Sunday, thought we were going to reach 26c, we hit 30c yesterday, absolutely stunning. Had a moderate westerly breeze which made the ride to Simpsons gap a little more challenging on the MTB. Took Carol for the ride, did it a little tough into the wind and she was certainly happier about the tailwind, 50km round trip and she hadn't been on the bike since October last year....lots of tourists at the Gap, it is that time of the year.....

Weather forecast was rain for today, alarm went off at 5:10am, crawled out of bed and looked out the kitchen window, no rain and I could see stars....was about 12c this morning, 3 of us rode to the "Office".. Hatt rd was a little damp, guys said we had rain at around 3:30am. Shower, breakfast and at the desk at 7:00am....it still doesnt feel right but hey, its riding :-)

Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu May 28, 2009 9:10 am

Walked out the door yesterday morning, it was raining, went back to bed and then decided to have the day off.... I'm SOFT.

Walked out the door this morning at 5:30am, it was raining, I need to HTFU so off I went. Got passed by a few of the lads that decided to drive today "Hey Pete, put your bike in the car"....today was not the day to be "soft" :-) Good ride in the rain, :mrgreen:

Sandman
Last edited by sandman on Thu May 28, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu May 28, 2009 10:11 am

A day off work or a day off riding?

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu May 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Riding and Work... Went out to Trephena Gorge instead.

http://illmayer.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=53944

Beats a day in the office ANYDAY ! Riding home today was tough, about 20km of solid bloody headwind, had most of my cold weather gear on as I had to take it home for tomorrow...cooking and slow progress...10km of tailwind at the end. Saw a bunch of the Anaconda boys n girls heading into town, must by a night ride tonight, should be good.. We have the Finke Desert Race in town next weekend so going to check that out :-)

Pete

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 pm

Maybe just me Pete but cannot open the link to yr gorge ride photos. You're sure the link was to cycling photos?? These moderators have a tendency to look after we cyclists moral welfare :roll:
Sandy
FPR Jubilado Bludger

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Thu May 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Looks like the site it down or Pete's in the middle of doing something with it. Hurry Pete I want to see the pics :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Nice Pics, perhaps I should transfer out there too
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sandman

Postby sandman » Sat May 30, 2009 1:22 pm

You can only do it for so long Mike and then you would go spare :-)

Ride home yesterday was a tough one, headwind most of the way with a slight reprieve with a bit of sidewind. Coffee at Glorias was good...its been absolutely PISSING DOWN in the last 12 hours, suspect it will be wet today and tomorrow....well we get 363 days of sunshine per year instead :-) :-)

Sandman with stiff legs !

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:38 am

You poor poor bastards out there, this mornings ride in Alice was just awesuM.

Left Tom Brown at 5:50am, temp around 4c, only Billy and I. Fair bit of fog due to the rain we had and no clouds. Made it to the airport turnoff and Billy's glasses kept fogging up, time for a clean. Turned the bike lights off and looked up into the heavens, man it just doesnt get any better than this, the Milky Way just lit the sky up...

Down the Stuart Highway and right onto Hatt rd, both of us were coughing and noses running, it was darn cold. Thermometer on the bike had us at 0c, think both of us had 3-4 layers ontop, it was absolutely cold but yet so crystal clear (when we were out of the fog). Pulled up at the front gate, guys laughed at us, they were all rugged up in Jackets etc.. she was cold.

Shower this morning was so nice, walked over to our store area to drop in the riding gear and watched the sun come up, absolutely MAJESTIC morning.

Sandman in the desert...

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:38 am

From awesuM to "I dont wanna do this"...

It was a tough ride in today, good pace however thick fog and really cold. Had some ice forming on the fronts of the booties where I was sweating, the bandanna wasn't keeping my head warm, I think I'll be grabbing the thermal "skullcap" in future. I've still got a headache, found myself wandering away in my thoughts on the way in, not a good experience :-(

Spent another 10 minutes in the shower this morning at work just warming up.

Oh to be a cyclist in Alice :-)

Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:09 am

Good ride in this morning. Was 0c on Hatt road this morning, TJ, Billy and myself. Started out on the front, took a turn in the middle and then on the front for a bit more. had 4 layers on this morning, 2nd last pull was a bit whimpy so I got on the front for the final run, made up for it :-) Shower was nice n hot this morning. at the desk by 6:50am, bit darn early :-)

Rode with the Cycling club last Sunday, a nice lazy 60km down the "Ross River Highway"....good to meet up with the people again. Had morning tea afterwards, got home at almost noon, good way to start the day :-)

Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:05 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Break out the tissues for this one....an "over zealous" workout in the Gym yesterday...."these weights are easy, let me put on more"....last night as I went to bed, more back ache and legs hurting...

Alarm goes off at 5:10am, :x :x :x this is not good. Feel like crap, I'm in bloody pain all over. Meet Billy at Tom Brown at 5:45am, he doesnt have a headlight so its my turn to sit on the front. He's riding the Time Trial weapon and I'm on the 10kg Scott with a darn back pack on. I managed 12km at 37km/hr into some headwind and then 8km at 35km/hr to the Hatt road turn off and I was knackered, the legs were killing me and christ I hate backpacks.

As they have resurfaced our road, I think they used "Bouldermix", about 20mm aggregate with black soup poured over it. Its as slow as anything and tears your tyres apart. We sat on 33 for the last 10km whining and whinging about the road, headwind and anything else that came to mind, including his flat battery for the headlight :-)

I think I need a massage or something, lower back is killing me, legs hurt... yeah blah blah blah blah :-) :-) I might suck a wheel on the way home

Sandman