Training for XC Mtb racing

Pedalhead

Training for XC Mtb racing

Postby Pedalhead » Fri May 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi fellow peddlers,

Does anyone have a training program that is more mtb race oriented? I have found some road race ones which can be useful I guess.
I know actual track time is great but not always within easy reach with time and distance to get there.

thanks
Andy

toolonglegs

Re: Training for XC Mtb racing

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 29, 2009 3:26 pm

It's all about training for a higher FTP (functional threshold power)...and on mtb power to weight.
What are you doing now?.
Can you drop more weight?.
What level are you riding at?.

Pedalhead

Postby Pedalhead » Fri May 29, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi TLL
toolonglegs wrote:It's all about training for a higher FTP (functional threshold power)...and on mtb power to weight.
A. FTP, thats a new one to me so I will have to work on that.

What are you doing now?.
A.I'm just doing an 1hr or 1.5hr on road 3 or 4 times a week ( as time allows) and Spinning in the garage for up to an hr when chit weather outside, I would also like a program for this. Ride from the city, out to beaches with some hills as well as some cuircuits, about 25/30km. Mtb Racing last week I did a 44min lap, the best time of the day was 32min Elite

Can you drop more weight?.
A. yes i can and I need to, back up to 90kg :(( Might get some grams off the bike, but I will suffice with it as is for now.

What level are you riding at?.
A. 46yo, so in Masters class/level. Been ridiing many yrs but not at race pace, only socially. Technicaly on the tracks, I'm ok but physically I'm way behind

I'm not going to be really serious about the racing but want to be better at it so I can enjoy it more and probably look at doing some ( at least 1) 50k or 100k race, maybe later this year.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Yeah,depends how serious you want to get.If you are "JRA" (just riding around) you won't see many gains.
Road / MTB plans...not much difference really.
What you needs is intensity...not lots of miles.MTB races are 1-2 hours at your limit with efforts above your limits on the nasty climbs etc.But the aim is to stay within your threshold (Just!) for the entire race...if you spend too much time above threshold then you will fade badly near the end.
20 minute efforts have been great for me...a workout would be...
10-15min warm up.20 minutes at a hard pace (hard enough that you would really struggle to talk as breathing is more important).But mantaining a constant power thru the whole 20 minutes...ie:not too hard to start with so you pop before the end.Then 10 minutes easy and do it again.Yesterday I managed 3 20's and today my legs are toast.If you can do 2 then good...but you might only manage 1 and then blow 10 minutes into the next one...they take training.
Do one of them a week to start with say on a Tuesday if you race Sun.
But structured or not...there is very little improvement by riding around doing km's without intensity.Push as hard as you can for as long as you can even if your rides are now half the length...and get lots of rest.If you feel tired but want to go for a ride knowing you wouldn't be able to do the above 20's then it is better to have a day off.Recovery IS training.
100% gaurantee if you up the intensity you will see big improvements within a month.

Pedalhead

Postby Pedalhead » Fri May 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Tnx TLL

that sounds good

"Push as hard as you can for as long as you can even if your rides are now half the length...and get lots of rest.If you feel tired but want to go for a ride knowing you wouldn't be able to do the above 20's then it is better to have a day off.Recovery IS training."

Do you mean high/maximum cadence or a bigger gear? alternate for each 20?

Andy

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 29, 2009 8:34 pm

sydneypeddler wrote:Tnx TLL

that sounds good

"Push as hard as you can for as long as you can even if your rides are now half the length...and get lots of rest.If you feel tired but want to go for a ride knowing you wouldn't be able to do the above 20's then it is better to have a day off.Recovery IS training."

Do you mean high/maximum cadence or a bigger gear? alternate for each 20?

Andy

Forget cadence....just let your body do what it does best.As long as it isn't silly high or low it will be fine.Anywhere between 80-120 is good.

Pedalhead

Postby Pedalhead » Fri May 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Many thanks TLL, I'll give it a rip nx wk.
2moro, pre race Track maintenance and a couple of easy practice laps. Sunday is the First Round Interclub Meet, so it should be fun

Pedalhead

Postby Pedalhead » Fri May 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Hey TLL
what are you doing in Lyon? Are you from Aust?

Your weather looks good.............. from here anyway

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 30, 2009 2:03 am

My wife got a good job for 3 years with Interpol.So we thought we would give it a go,she is from here originally.Lived in syd for 10 years and 10 yrs in London before that.I am a Kiwi still :D .So at the moment I am racing bikes and looking after two 5 year olds...been here a year so it is time I got a job...after the summer holidays that is!.