Raptobike.

Freddyflatfoot

Raptobike.

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Tue May 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Are there any Aussies that have one of these yet, or are contemplating getting one, or the frame kit?
I'm very seriously considering getting the frame kit, and I thought if anyone is considering it, we could share ideas on how to set up the bike.
For those that haven't come across this neat FWD low racer, here's the link,
http://www.raptobike.nl/lowracer.php
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

Low Racer

Re: Raptobike.

Postby Low Racer » Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 pm

No posts yet? Rob do you think Rapto is too radical for most folks here. I would be interested if I haven't got a good ride already. However, if I am in the market for a low racer I will seriously consider a rapto frameset. I wonder when Arnold will start marketing his front wheel drive high racer. That would be interesting.

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Thu May 28, 2009 9:08 pm

I think the Rapto is a great design but will not be getting one.
My reasons are I am very happy with rear wheel drive even with the longer chain.
IMO, the advantages of frontwheel drive appear only marginal to me.
I would like to test ride and experience the front wheel slip or lack there of on uphills and
on wet/slippery inclines. And the final reason is I am not sure if I would be happy with
the high return pulleys and the minimalist guards.
I would like to test ride one to see if my assumptions and opinions are valid.
Good luck and keep me posted as to your experience.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Thu May 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Brad,
You already have a Baron Raptor, so maybe the two bikes would be way too similar to justify the cost!
Even now, I am wondering if a new bike would be much better than my own mid racer.
But a purpose built frame and paint job would be so much nicer than my homebuilt steel frame.
I reckon I would lose about 3-4 kg at base weight.
I'm waiting to hear back from Arnold about some queries that I have, about customising the frame somewhat. (700C/451 wheels, road brakes, and different paint).
I'm thinking of keeping the drive train relatively simple, so looking at a 34/50 compact crank, and a Capreo cassette (9-26) in a 451 wheel.
I have some parts already. A spare 700C and a 26" front wheel, and a spare 451 rim, and 105 medium cage RD.
Anyway, its still pretty much pie in the sky ATM, but would most likely be the way to go for my next build.
Its fun to dream though!
And if I dream long enough, it'll probably happen!
Cheers!
Rob
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

Storm

Postby Storm » Thu May 28, 2009 10:07 pm

How much would a frameset cost Rob? I'm also interested in Trisleds nitro(supporting Australian manufacturing) 8.5kg cannot be overlooked. Has anyone here ridden a Nitro that can give their opinion?
~~~~ ~ (AT)_,~,- -_-’o,~~~ ~ (AT)_,~,- -_-’o,
~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu May 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Storm wrote:How much would a frameset cost Rob? I'm also interested in Trisleds nitro(supporting Australian manufacturing) 8.5kg cannot be overlooked. Has anyone here ridden a Nitro that can give their opinion?
I was about too ask Rob the same question. I am interested in the Rapto and find it tempting. I've also been looking at the Nitro. The weight is great but I wonder about the small wheels.

I think I might lash up a FWD lowracer and see what I think. That's the only way I'll get to try one. I am a bit iffy about buying without trying at least the concept.

Keep us posted on what you find Rob.

John Lewis

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Fri May 29, 2009 1:23 am

Freddyflatfoot wrote:Brad,
You already have a Baron Raptor, so maybe the two bikes would be way too similar to justify the cost!
Even now, I am wondering if a new bike would be much better than my own mid racer.
But a purpose built frame and paint job would be so much nicer than my homebuilt steel frame.
I reckon I would lose about 3-4 kg at base weight.
I'm waiting to hear back from Arnold about some queries that I have, about customising the frame somewhat. (700C/451 wheels, road brakes, and different paint).
I'm thinking of keeping the drive train relatively simple, so looking at a 34/50 compact crank, and a Capreo cassette (9-26) in a 451 wheel.
I have some parts already. A spare 700C and a 26" front wheel, and a spare 451 rim, and 105 medium cage RD.
Anyway, its still pretty much pie in the sky ATM, but would most likely be the way to go for my next build.
Its fun to dream though!
Hi Freddy,
If you like it and want to ride it, don't let anyone stop you. Least of all me and my quirky comments. That's how I started riding recumbents. I said 'to hell with what others think/say, I am going to ride one of these funny bikes. Now I love riding them, especially the Baron Raptor.
So dream and go man 8)

I think what you are saying is very valid for upgrading to a ready made. I loved my previous bike, but the Raptor is 5kg lighter and is soooo much more fun to ride. :) IMO A bike that is light and very stiff (boom and BB) in the frame is the way to go.
On that first bike I had a 59 chainring ( long FD and RD cage) for the 406(20") drive wheel. It was slightly overgeared so I think you will need similar gearing to be happy. I think your 34/50 will work on a 26" depending on the cluster.
I have no ability at building a bike so I bought of the shelf and glad I did. I not only ride a lot, but have fun tweaking bits and pieces to suit myself. It is a lot of money to purchase a new bike this way, but on the otherside of the coin is the riding enjoyment, commuting, less use of the car, being healthier etc that the bike pays for itself in a few years.

Cheers
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
Rotovelo velomobile

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Fri May 29, 2009 7:45 am

Freddyflatfoot wrote:I'm waiting to hear back from Arnold about some queries that I have, about customising the frame somewhat. (700C/451 wheels, road brakes, and different paint).
Its fun to dream though!
I wonder how much a custom made 451 fork would add to the cost of the frameset. A ETRO 451/700c would be really nice on a rapto. Bet you will be faster too than a standard rapto. The 50-9 gearing combination would be something like a 53-11, right? You will probable need to go up a bit with the low gear (? I get mixed up which one) say a 28 or 30.

Rob, you only live once and I said do it while you can still go out enjoying your bike. We all come to a stage where we no longer can do such activities due to health problem. Don't dream, make it a reality. You won't regret it.

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Fri May 29, 2009 9:21 am

A standard capreo cassette in a 451 wheel with a 34/50 will give a gi range of 26.5 - 112.7.
That covers pretty much 99% of anyones riding, and I probably doubt you would need much more!
With the hills I have around her, I'm climbing on a similar low, although my high is probably a bit higher (117 I think)
a 53/11 in the same size wheel only gets you to 97.7 gi in the same size wheel.
FWIW, using a 406 wheel gives you 24.4 - 103.8 gi range, which is still quite usable, if a little wheezy on the top end.
I'd spin out under 60 kph, so would have to rely on coasting to get the speed up on the descents!
BTW, hit 76.2 kph yesterday! :) A new max for me!
Either way, using a capreo setup provides a much better gear range than the std 8 speed setup on the std Raptobike! ( ~ 35.0 - 93.4 gi)
Cheers!
Rob
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun May 31, 2009 10:11 am

I saw one in a peleton of DFs one Saturday morning about a month ago running south along Port Beach Road in Fremantle. I was a passenger in my other half's car on our way to swimming lessons so couldn't stop to ask him how it was.

Gregory_carroll

Postby Gregory_carroll » Sun May 31, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi Storm

I've had a couple of rides on the nitro, but never on the open road.
Its a pretty nice ride, given it was my first go on a recumbent bike (not trike though) I was riding about fairly easily within a couple of minutes.
I've had a Challenge fujin for a while and got an opportunity to have another go on the nitro with a bit of experience under my belt and found it a pretty nice setup. It is very very very low, goes like a rocket, and is stable and relatively easy to ride. I couldn't tell you how it would go up a steep hill though, being front wheel drive and all.

The only reason I don't have one is because it is a bit extreme for a commuter, there isn't really anywhere to put stuff - bags, lights, water etc. Although with a bit of imagination I reckon it could be set up.

Ben from Trisled would be a good person to ask about it (even though he sells them), in my experience will give you a fairly balanced view of the bike.
Lovin the Challenge!!

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:35 pm

RobertFrith wrote:I saw one in a peleton of DFs one Saturday morning about a month ago running south along Port Beach Road in Fremantle. I was a passenger in my other half's car on our way to swimming lessons so couldn't stop to ask him how it was.
You may have seen me riding my rear wheel drive Optima Baron Raptor with the Fremantle Bike Force group.
Did it look like this?

Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
Rotovelo velomobile

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Hey Freddy,
Just found this video on you tube.
Have you seen it? It might help.
It goes really well like my Baron Raptor. The handle bars bend forward and are narrower than mine.
I think the narrow bars is one reason the beginner rider wobbled a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YErmPu2J ... re=related

Cheers
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
Rotovelo velomobile

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks Brad, it is a good video, is'nt it?
BTW, having a slight rethink on the Raptobike, still want one,
But,
I am now going to get all my running gear together, wheels, groupo etc, and put them on my unfinished Hurricane project.
I'm going to re-engineer the frame to take a 26" or 700C at the rear, and FWD and 451 at the front!
Gee, you never know, I might even like it!
Dunno if it will be as low as the Raptobike, but should be about the same, if not lower than my mid racer.
By going down this path, I'll have all the running together for the framekit!
Cheers!
Rob
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck with it. :)
If you can go 700 rear wheel there is lots of gear to choose from compared to 26". Just in narrow rims tyres 26"
is limited.
Some midracers are just as fast as lowracers. My m5 Shockproof was more compliant than the M5 lowracer and gave the same or better
average speed.
Frontal area is everything to aerodynamics and if you are layed back a tailfairing will
give upto 10% speed gain.

Cheers :)
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
Rotovelo velomobile

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:50 pm

Like this?, ;)

I already have both a 26" and a 700C front wheel as 'spares' that i can use, but I agree, better narrow tyre choices for the 700!
Cheers!
Rob
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor