Ride for MTB or Horse !

elantra

Ride for MTB or Horse !

Postby elantra » Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 am

Sunday May 31 for those who are interested.
This is an area of considerable scenic beauty and the ride should be reasonably "easy" :?: on MTB or fat tyre hybrid.
But you would need to be careful around horses and it is a public road so there will be some oncoming traffic.
The road surface is unsealed but usually negotiable by any car except for the creek crossings all 14 of them.
A pair of shoes suitable to walk across creek crossings will be necessary.
Will be magic if it is a nice day.Condamine Gorge Walk/Bike/Horseride
Need to allow almost 3 hr drive from brissie to get to Watson's bridge via killarney.

elantra

Re: Ride for MTB or Horse !

Postby elantra » Sun May 31, 2009 10:02 pm

Well we took the plunge.
Quite literally, the water levels on Cambanoora gorge were higher than expected, after recent rains.
It did not seem to worry the horses much but cyclists got wet feet, wet bicycles and even wet trousers.

My cycling companion (Mr T) did manage to get across a few of the 14 creek crossings without dismounting but i don't think i managed to fully cycle across any of them. :cry:
Nevertheless it was great fun, the water was clean and not too icy, but does anyone know what is large and furry with a white tip tail and swims under the water? :shock:

After doing the 14 crossings the opportunity was there to do a longer return leg via Queen Mary Falls Road.
We met a cyclist who had just done it in the opposite direction. He said it was a long way up and cold up there.
He was shivering but smiling. :lol:
So we did it. It was STEEP
The descent off this plateau (sealed road heading west) was worth it.
Mr T got up to 68 km/hr before he had to slow down for a CATTLE GRID on the steepest and straightest part of the descent. Send me a PM if anyone wants more information about this area.

Total distance = 42 km, which took just over 3 hours, not including a rest for some food and pit stop.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:33 pm

that sounded like a lot of fun.
i just don't have an MTB.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:14 pm

No cyber cred for you then.