Fishtailed my trike....Wham....Bammmmm

Low Racer

Fishtailed my trike....Wham....Bammmmm

Postby Low Racer » Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 pm

The road was still wet from last week deluge. On my way home from work, saw a fellow "cyclist" who aren't particularly a strong rider up ahead (young by the way). He decided to dismount from his bike at the slight inclination as I was approaching (he was in my lane). Took evasive action and steered the trike off the bike lane. As I passed him I tried to steer the trike back onto the lane but the rear wheel decided not to cooperate. Fishtailed immediately but managed to control it but foolishly tried again and this time totally lost it and flipped the trike. Scrapped along the lane with me still attached to the pedal. My right thumb scrapped along the bitumen too and recievd a deep cut. That was the only injury. I am sure if I had been on an upright bike, the outcome would have been worse.

Lesson learnt:- To reduce my speed when approaching inexperience riders. Not to take for granted that I won't get flipped on a trike.

Freddyflatfoot

Re: Fishtailed my trike....Wham....Bammmmm

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 pm

What?
I've never managed to make the rear end lose grip, unless it has been trying to power up a steep gravel hill!
Sounds like you swerved too quickly back into your lane, and unbalanced the trike?
a friend of mine was doing that on my trike and managed to flip it! Never done it myself though.
Maybe we just haven't had enough rain down here in Vic. Who knows?
Anyway, hope you and the trike are ok, and the thumb heals well.
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Wed May 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi Rob,
There is a slight ledge going back onto the lane. The muddy rear wheel decided that it doesn't want to go past the ledge onto the lane. The mud was picked up from outside the bike lane. It was a bit surreal as I was slidding/fishtailing. The chap just stood there with his gop wide opened.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 27, 2009 11:05 pm

ouch! that is nasty. I hope you make a speedy recovery.
<removed by request>

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Sounds a bit nasty. Ouch!!

The only time I've ever fishtailed my trike was at a service station when someone had kicked over a bucket of water on the very smooth concrete that's laid there. I got the rear tyre nice and wet, rode into the middle of the water, locked both front brakes and began pedalling. The wheel lost traction and started spinning, then I released one brake. Woo hooo- trikey hoon-boy! No smoke though. Then myself and one of the other guys started riding into the water and locking one wheel.

Wheeee.

Well, I was only 41 at the time.

:roll:

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu May 28, 2009 12:19 am

Hope the trike is OK and you heal quickly. Only time I've seen a trike flip was when my wife locked her brakes with the left wheel in the gravel and turning. Beautiful half barrel roll across a ditch and came to rest upside down in a bush hanging under the trike by one cleat. Her second time on the trike by the way.

As for Joe's little tale. Sounds like hoon riding to me. :lol:

John Lewis

Storm

Postby Storm » Thu May 28, 2009 9:56 am

My hub motored trike fishtails all the time I'm off road. :twisted: so much fun!!

It was a problem when my partner was riding, it was a bit bumpy and wet grass, threw her off to the side(no clips) and grazed her side badly, hasn't stopped her riding it though, just shows how addictive they are. :D
~~~~ ~ (AT)_,~,- -_-’o,~~~ ~ (AT)_,~,- -_-’o,
~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)~~~ ~ (*)\____/(*)

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 28, 2009 10:08 am

Low Racer wrote:I am sure if I had been on an upright bike, the outcome would have been worse.
Are you suggesting that a trike is more maneuverable than an upright bike? Maybe the whole situation could have been handled more competently on an upright bike, no?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Thu May 28, 2009 7:41 pm

sogood wrote:Are you suggesting that a trike is more maneuverable than an upright bike? Maybe the whole situation could have been handled more competently on an upright bike, no?
Maybe if I had been on an upright bike this would not had happened at all. The trike does take up a lot of space on a narrow bike lane, which lead me to the action taken (and the consequences). I am not implying that trike is more maneuverable than an upright bike. I am merely pointing that if given the same situation, I wouldn't fair too well on a safety bike. As a recumbent rider, I am glad that I haven't got far to fall.

geebee

Postby geebee » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm

sogood wrote:
Low Racer wrote:I am sure if I had been on an upright bike, the outcome would have been worse.
Are you suggesting that a trike is more maneuverable than an upright bike? Maybe the whole situation could have been handled more competently on an upright bike, no?
Yes, a trike is more manuverable than a bike. I have avoided doorings that would have been a 100% guaranteed impacts on a 2 wheeler with my trike, a 2 wheeler has to ride through a turn a trike can instantly change direction.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:53 am

Granny wrote:Dear Chongy, <snip> those boys are a bit rough.
A troll? :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:57 am

sogood wrote:
Granny wrote:Dear Chongy, <snip> those boys are a bit rough.
A troll? :roll:
Yes, and now dealt with. I've edited your quote to remove the BS.

Granny, we know what trolls look like, even if they are disguised as dear old ladies. It won't take much to get banned from this site.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Granny

Postby Granny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Hello Graeme,
By editing what you consider BS from my response, you have rendered my advice useless! What were you offended by? It was not meant to offend but to point out what a silly billy he is for not sharing the roadway nicely. I don't believe I contravened any of the terms of conduct for this forum but as this is my first response can you tell me where you think I went wrong? Also what is a troll? You boys must be really sensitive! I actually am a grandmother and soon to be great-grandmother but if you don't think I'm not a "sweet old lady" then I'll accept that as a compliment. Granny.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:56 pm

See response via PM Granny.

Graeme
---------------------

Low Racer

????

Postby Low Racer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:03 pm

??? I missed all of it. Must be someone I know to address me by the name "Chongy".

Recycler

Re: ????

Postby Recycler » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:27 am

Low Racer wrote:??? I missed all of it. Must be someone I know to address me by the name "Chongy".
Chong, You were to slow, there one minute gone the next. It was a funny toung in cheek letter, tell you about it next time we catch up. Its a pity the powers to be never ran the post by you first, I am sure the situation would have had a different outcome. I am a Grandfather and soon to be a Great-Grandfather, you see Granny is my wife. :lol:

Low Racer

Re: ????

Postby Low Racer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Recycler wrote:
Low Racer wrote:??? I missed all of it. Must be someone I know to address me by the name "Chongy".
Chong, You were to slow, there one minute gone the next. It was a funny toung in cheek letter, tell you about it next time we catch up. Its a pity the powers to be never ran the post by you first, I am sure the situation would have had a different outcome. I am a Grandfather and soon to be a Great-Grandfather, you see Granny is my wife. :lol:
Must have been out of line comment that got axed and to be called a troll. :roll:

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit confused!
I missed that allegedly poor comment as well!
soo, what did I miss?
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Sorry guys (and Granny).

I deleted Granny's post - her first - because it appeared to be a personal attack on an established forum member by a first time poster.

As a moderator, my job is to make sure the discussions here remain civil. Seen through the eyes of a moderator, a first time poster flaming other members without provocation is "classic" troll behaviour, so I acted without hesitation.

I later found out through a series of PMs that Granny knows Chong outside this forum. With no reference to this fact in her post and no emoticons used during the ribbing she gave Chong, I could only assume she was a troll and I acted in defence of Chong. That's what I do for any of you.

Unfortunately, that meant I offended Granny. However, given the same set of circumstances, I would do the same again. Sorry Granny, but that's my job here.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Sorry guys (and Granny).

I deleted Granny's post - her first - because it appeared to be a personal attack on an established forum member by a first time poster.

As a moderator, my job is to make sure the discussions here remain civil. Seen through the eyes of a moderator, a first time poster flaming other members without provocation is "classic" troll behaviour, so I acted without hesitation.

I later found out through a series of PMs that Granny knows Chong outside this forum. With no reference to this fact in her post and no emoticons used during the ribbing she gave Chong, I could only assume she was a troll and I acted in defence of Chong. That's what I do for any of you.

Unfortunately, that meant I offended Granny. However, given the same set of circumstances, I would do the same again. Sorry Granny, but that's my job here.

Cheers,
Graeme
Hi Graeme,
I think you did the right thing to delete it as I would have been flamed by it. In my first post I didn't blame the other rider apart from my own stupidity and lesson learnt. I met Mr Recycler once but not Mrs Recycler. So if she claimed that she knows me, I don't.