Stage 1

Kev365428

Stage 1

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:11 am

How did he do it?

When I saw McEwen at the back of the pack with only 5km to go, I thought he had no chance of getting to the front. Then with 100 meters to go he comes out of nowhere like a pimple on your face 2 hours before a first date, and blows the competition away.

Absolutely amazing.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:03 am

I missed it... was on holiday.

Great that the Aussies are being represented but... will it be a case of a number of stages being won and then a slow down (or even pull out)? I am keen to see the aussies become serious contenders right up to the last stage.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:45 am

I just caught that last segment last night when we got back from our ski trip. It was just amazing wasn't it? The commentators all gave up on him. I couldn't believe there could be that much speed difference b/n top sprinters.

I guess for one, none of his competitions were looking out for him and the pace of the lead group somewhat slowed a bit nearing the finish and permitted him to snake through the peloton.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

LuckyPierre

Re: Stage 1

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:10 am

Kev365428 wrote: ... with 100 meters to go he comes out of nowhere like a pimple on your face 2 hours before a first date, and blows the competition away ...
I think that Robbie would be delighted with causing a reaction like that. He was pretty open about what drives him in Thursday's "25 Years " program and to see him work (albeit with help) to get back after the peleton tried to put a gap on him was pretty stirring.
'twas good to Stu only a minute behind the sprinters - he is really tough. I hope that the boys in pink work a bit harder tonight.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:49 am

Great work by Robbie McEwen and his team and I love Phil's comment, "It looks like Robbie Hunter's got this won." - don't think so!

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:22 am

I also liked the other comment, "Who needs a photo finish when Robbie (McEwen) is involved?"

What's with all the crap they put on before they start showing the racing?
Don't they know we've been waiting many, many hours to see racing, they must know we don't give a crap about cooking food and which wine goes with it.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:35 am

tuco wrote:What's with all the crap they put on before they start showing the racing?
Don't they know we've been waiting many, many hours to see racing, they must know we don't give a crap about cooking food and which wine goes with it.
Well, TdF is a major show piece for France on the international stage, so it's not surprising that there's a cultural aspect to it. And if you were on the actual tour, there's a whole caravan thing and marketing by commercial enterprises. Let's just say that we are getting the light end of the stick.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:52 am

Robbie living up to his tag "the invisible man". Man, what a ride. Actually, the whole run was very interesting ... well, the bits that didn't clash with the F1 :roll:

Going to be a good tour, but I don't know if I have the endurance to last it :shock:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:40 am

tuco wrote: ... they must know we don't give a crap about cooking food and which wine goes with it ...
Hey, don't pick on my mate Gabriel! It's his one chance each year to sharpen his French accent and talk rubbish (well, it's pretty obvious that he can do that any time he wants to). Richard might remember the heady days in the early 80's when Horst's appeared on the Adelaide restaurant scene - a very different place that introduced many to what a real 'bistro' was. So what ? Well, Gabriel was the chef when it opened. He has long since become an Australian and he knows when (and how) to put his tongue firmly in his cheek.
That said, it's a boring as bat !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! when all you want to do is to watch the b*ggers ride!
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:45 am

sogood wrote:
tuco wrote:What's with all the crap they put on before they start showing the racing?
Well, TdF is a major show piece for France on the international stage, so it's not surprising that there's a cultural aspect to it. And if you were on the actual tour, there's a whole caravan thing and marketing by commercial enterprises. Let's just say that we are getting the light end of the stick.
True, but still I'm not interested in it. I need my cycling fix. :shock:
I'm more inspired by the scenery and picturesque villages (which we see during a race) to get over there on a holiday than by the food. It's so much different to anything we have here.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:52 am

Forgot to set the tape last night. Heard briefly on the news that McEwen won, but had an accident with 3km to go, but still managed a win. Must have been some ride !!!

The news coverage is crap. Not even a mention of who is in the Yellow and no footage at all.... sigh.....

Will try and set the vid tonight

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:36 pm

tuco wrote:True, but still I'm not interested in it. I need my cycling fix. :shock:
I'm more inspired by the scenery and picturesque villages (which we see during a race) to get over there on a holiday than by the food. It's so much different to anything we have here.
Well, we all do. But in order to attract more viewers eg. Spouse of cycling fanatics, SBS has to put some of those padding in there. But it's sure better to hear about French food than a pub crawl clip shown during Fri afternoon footie. :wink:

europa

Postby europa » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:25 pm

I honestly can't see that the cooking bits add anything at all - they'd do better discussing the buildings in the area, but it's a cycling race for heaven's sake. Do a bit on the latest technology. Sheesh, 'er indoors isn't going to sit up all night watching lycra clad idiots just to listen to Gabrielle tell how to cook some impossible dish she'll never attempt and probably never taste.
[/grump]

Any news on Robbie's injury? He got through last night on adrenalin but was really favouring it - a dud wrist could ruin his tour.

Richard

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:37 pm

Wrist and knee injury I just heard on the radio. He said he hoped it wouldn't rule him out of the tour. Must be worse than it looked, judging by the way he finished.

Kev.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:48 pm

tuco wrote:I also liked the other comment, "Who needs a photo finish when Robbie (McEwen) is involved?"

What's with all the crap they put on before they start showing the racing?
We started coverage in WA at 10.30 with 30 mins of preamble. Anyway, during the race, there was a "Welcome to viewers in Adelaide and *somewhere else I forget*. let's recap what we've seen so far" and then started repeating what we in WA had just seen!! :x

Couldn't believe it.

It is on from 10-11.30pm here tonight - don't you wish you lived in WA?? :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Just had a look at the SBS site at how Robbie powered past - Damn !!!!

Lets hope his injury is not too bad - I'd love to know what his speed was at the end as he was flying :shock:

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Don't forget the highlights show is on SBS at 6pm for those who missed the telecast last night.

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:24 pm

tuco wrote:
sogood wrote:
True, but still I'm not interested in it. I need my cycling fix. :shock:
My point has been proved!!!! I taped stage 15 last night and I was sitting watching it with my wife before work and she commented on how beautiful the area was and that we'll have to go over there next year. Well we settled on 2011 when the kids have finished high school but it was the scenery and not a silly little man with a speech impediment (accent) and a pom with an identity crisis. :wink:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:24 pm

But did she say "go over there during the Tour and traipse all over the coultry to watch it"? That is the line you are really after!!

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:27 pm

How'd we wind up back at stage 1? I was looking forward to getting some sleep next week. Oh, it's Tuco. Ah well, you know what they say about these backward Queenslanders :roll:

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Those dudes are so fast that I'd still be on stage one
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:39 pm

I can't believe how quickly they get up those hills. I'm glad I'm an old bloke and don't have anything to prove.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 pm

I can get up sprinters hill that fast, but thats a dimple compared with TdF
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:57 pm

You
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:56 pm

Isn't there only two seasons in Qld?

Too hot to ride and

Too wet to ride. :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011