Whew! It'll get easier.

njg02

Whew! It'll get easier.

Postby njg02 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:16 pm

I picked up my new TW Bents Attack from Ian on Saturday. Many thanks to Ian for a good set up for me, although it felt heaps different from when I first test rode it.
Anyway, finally got out this arvo for a decent ride. I rode for 11km's about 90% local bike tracks. 5.5 kays down away from home and then 5.5 back up. 90deg turns in the cycle tracks are different when your feet are out front. There is a shared cycle track over Mt Ousley rd that I managed to ride up ok but took one foot out of the peddle to gingerly go down the other side. When I went to peddle again my foot was automatically looking for the peddle under me, instead of out front. Managed to ride without falling, but I think it will happen. Well, the family thinks it will happen.
I've put an old hydration pack on the back of the seat as a bag. I managed to attach my nightstick battery in a couple of spare seat bolt holes on the port side. I've got two lights mounted upside down on the handlebars until I get a proper mount for the front. Computer is mounted on the main beam where I can read it ok but I dare not try to press any buttons. I need to mount a bottle cage somewhere or maybe just use the hydration pack. The main thing that I need to do is get the muscles bent. The hills home aren't that steep but at the moment they are still hills.

Regards

Neil

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Whew! It'll get easier.

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Congrats on the new bike Neil. You'll love it - eventually! ;) It is a steep learning curve initially, but soon you'll be wondering why you ever found it difficult.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:34 pm

Good onya Neil! Way to go. Gosh! you are a fast learner. :D
Welcome to the wonderful world of riding a 'bent. :lol:

I can't help myself - here are a few tips until you really get the hang of things. :wink:

:idea: Stop and start in one gear smaller than you would on a DF.
:idea: Unclip early or don't clip in at all.
:idea: In slow turns take your body weight off the back of the seat or sit forward completely. Turning will be smoother.

Cheers
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

njg02

Postby njg02 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks Graeme, Brad.
In the morning is the big test where I'll be riding into work. Dark, wet and probably wobbly.

I've got it in mind to get in low gear when stopping, and unclipping early. The clips are real stiff. I've got them wound out so hopefully they'll loosen up. They're flat on the opposite side so I can still peddle ok, if I can unclip.

See how we go.

Neil

fredinver

Postby fredinver » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Well done Neil and welcome to the bent side.
The attach will get easier with practice. Ensure you try to relax your upper body otherwise you may find yourself wobbling or swaying more. I have had this problem on my attack and need to think about it now and again. I have mounted a side loading bidon cage under the l/h side of the seat. This is good when doing a short ride or not with a bunch. For Group rides I use a bladder in the back of seat bag I got from Just Bents in WA. http://www.justbents.com.au/product%20access.htm This means less wobble when I take a drink when in the group.
Light mount halfway down the steering bar has worked for my lights and I mounted 2 rear lights on the rear rack but want one higher on the back of the seat but the seat bag and headrest have made this harder.

Anyway enjoy the attack as they are one fast ride Fred
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:49 am

Fred,
how about a BLT lid LED?
I have one and they work well.
Handy to have an 'extra' front flasher as well as a side/middle lighting!
http://www.blt-lights.com/product/helme ... s/lid_led/
BTW Neil, congrats on the new bike!
I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot!
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:06 am

I mount my headlight on a 1" Al bar held in place with a steering stem clamped to the derailleur post.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

fredinver

Postby fredinver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks Rob,
I do run a red and white "blinky" on my helmets but will look for a better rear light on the helmet. One of the problems of living in the country is the limited parts at the LBS and I do like to look at things before handing over money. That said I bought the Attack sight unseen from Ian at FF.
For lights I have a topeak bar extender. http://www.topeak.com/products/Xtras/BarXtender it turns 90 degrees to allow you to mount on the upright of the steering.
A bad days riding beats a good day working!
GT3 Trike
CA2.0