Electronic Dura-Ace on display in Adelaide...

astro

Electronic Dura-Ace on display in Adelaide...

Postby astro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi mods. I'm in no way wanting to promote the business, so if you think its not appropriate please feel free to remove.

Electronic Dura-Ace Makes Adelaide Debut

You’ve heard what we have to say about the new Electronic Dura-Ace, here’s your chance to hear what the experts have to say AND try it out!

When: Saturday 13 June from 4.30 p.m.

Where: Mega Bike (AT) Hyde Park

What: Your chance to try – Road Electronic Dura-Ace AND Triathlon Electronic Dura-Ace
Shimano presentation on Electronic Dura-Ace
Question & Answer Session

Mega Bike and Shimano Australia invite you to this premiere.

Spaces are limited so reserve your place now by responding to this email.

(Ah, as you didn't get the email then I guess just call to see if there are spots available).

Cheers,
Last edited by astro on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astro
Surly Steamroller

MichaelB

Re: Electronic Dura-Ace on display in Adelaide...

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:27 pm

Got the email. Won't be going.

Don't need to be tempted by something else I can never afford .... :roll:

Verbs & Nouns

Postby Verbs & Nouns » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:01 pm

What happens when the batteries run out...?
Ten Grand wrote:Goddamnit baby, this is soul... What's wrong with you?

JCR

Postby JCR » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:55 pm

A shop has a Di2 Prince here. The Di2 looks OK I guess but it still has the wires in place of shift cables. It seems like a bit of a gimmick to me, at least I would want a wireless version if someone was to fork out the $$.
As Verbs and Nouns says, battery charging all the time could be annoying.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:01 pm

had a look at one last week on a pinarello prince $21000 :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

tcurtbike

Postby tcurtbike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:What happens when the batteries run out...?
JCR wrote: A shop has a Di2 Prince here. The Di2 looks OK I guess but it still has the wires in place of shift cables. It seems like a bit of a gimmick to me, at least I would want a wireless version if someone was to fork out the $$.
As Verbs and Nouns says, battery charging all the time could be annoying.
In Ride 42 Rob Arnold tested Di2, the people at Shimano said that the battery would last about 2000km (thats a conservative esimate) and would eventually need to be replaced, but not until atleast 500 recharges. In regards to the wireless option, bluetooth was considered, but it required a transponder at each junction, which would add to much weight.

JCR

Postby JCR » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:27 pm

2000km is pretty good. No need to really worry about that then. They say in the reviews you can shift under power really easily too, even with the front derailleur.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 pm

[rant]
Another step into low durability fantasy-land.
Change for the sake of change and profit.
It makes little sense to me to get something that works well without batteries and then add complexity and batteries. Why?

This stuff wouldn't bother me if I thought the technology wouldn't trickle down, but I know it likely eventually will. Then I'll have to start hording cable derailers, cables and shifters because all the modern quality-level components will be electronic and the cable stuff will become either boutique and expensive, or low end trash. Good examples are steel frame bikes and 7 speed rear.

And before you start thinking I'm just a retro-grouch, technophobe idiot, I've worked in a technology field for many years. Things are almost constantly changing, so we have a saying at work with each new "leading edge" development, "One step forward and two steps back".

Having said that, some developments are worthwhile, but many aren't and hope this one takes a long time to catch on.[/rant]

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Kmow what you mean Nobody.

My workplace went to a computer based interlocking for train control replacing a century old electromechanical system about a year back. Millions spent, software version 2.48 at last check in 0.01 increments and the throughput is about 75% of the old stuff. At least another 6 months worth of debugging according to the tech who was headhunted after commissioning. Reliability? Well... There's less failures, but when they do there's no way of working around them. Call the techs and make a cuppa, nothin's moving.

Change is not necessarily progress.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:27 pm

why would one purchase a Italian made carbon fibre machine, and then proceed to insert a japanese fast wearing set of gears :P

Twice the price of Campy and then they even copied The casette, ramped cogs, pickup teeth on chainrings, combining shifter and brake lever + lots of other things.

Campagnolo FTW!!!
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:15 am

How are these better than a high quality mechanical system?

gdt

Postby gdt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Biffidus wrote:How are these better than a high quality mechanical system?
The precision of shifts is said to be much better. Multiple gear selectors for little added weight (eg, on the tribar).

In the longer run -- like when this sort of kit becomes available at a consumer price -- I think there are so many advantages that electronic shifting will become typical.

Self adjustment.
Wiring rather than cabling, solving a major cable routing issue (at the moment cables go under the frame and collect road grit).
Automatic avoidance of crossed chains.
Automated gear selection on the flat (to maintain cadence), upon starting from standstill (keep hands on bars).

And of course in consumer kit you can't forget bling. Which electronic kit sadly allows a lot more of.