Joining a club

wxmrob

Joining a club

Postby wxmrob » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 pm

I would really like to get involved in racing. Preferably road and crits to start. I am looking for some advice of what club or org to join up with.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to which clubs allow you to race where. I am over 35 so the vets are always an option.

I'm fairly fit but my bike skills aren't the best. I live near Brighton.

Thanks in advance

SLH

Re: Joining a club

Postby SLH » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:06 pm

G'day mate. I'm joining the Southern Vets this year, so you might want to check them out. Who do you ride with at the moment? I'm in Somerton and always looking to head out for a spin.
Look695 & BMC SLC01.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Cycling SA run all of the open racing in SA: http://www.sa.cycling.org.au

There is a list of affiliated clubs on the site and a calendar of events. You join Cycling SA by joining one of the clubs. You can join any club you want and then you can enter any of the events. I'm in Port Adelaide which is the best :wink: http://www.pacc.org.au

Best advice I can give you is to get out there and race as soon as you can just to get a feel for it. Its road racing season at the moment which are tough races but very rewarding! Crit season starts up in October.

Bike skills are important so getting some organized bunch riding in might be your next best step.

wxmrob

Postby wxmrob » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Cheers guys
I'm still not quite sure whether to join a vets club or an affiliated Cycling sa club.

I'm busy checking results to find the sort of ability people are at for differing events.

At the moment I tend to get out with some groups from Bike SA or on my own as I tend to ride between 9-3 due to family commitments and most other cyclists I speak to tend to work these hours.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:21 pm

When are clubs looking for members in the 09/10 season
when should i sign up with Cycling SA for this coming season?

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Richard.L wrote:When are clubs looking for members in the 09/10 season
I believe that if you sign up after October 1st then you pay a years membership and it will last you the rest of 2009, plus all of 2010.

There are still some road races between now and and October, but crits won't start til October...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:03 pm

DanielS wrote:
Richard.L wrote:When are clubs looking for members in the 09/10 season
I believe that if you sign up after October 1st then you pay a years membership and it will last you the rest of 2009, plus all of 2010.

There are still some road races between now and and October, but crits won't start til October...

Yes that is right....whether you join a vets or open club it is all the same license and you can race anywhere with it.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:17 pm

So i wait till October and join a club when i fill out my form and join a club with my Cycling SA membership/licence
so if i join now i will be paying full price for about 3 months?
Thanks guys :D

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:05 am

Richard.L wrote:So i wait till October and join a club when i fill out my form and join a club with my Cycling SA membership/licence
so if i join now i will be paying full price for about 3 months?
Thanks guys :D
If you join now it is discounted a bit from full price - but yes, it will expire at the end of 2009 and you will need a new license for 2010. If you wait til October then you can get 2010 license, so you effectively get 15 months for the price of 12. It depends if there are any races between now and October that you desperately want to do...
toolonglegs wrote:Yes that is right....whether you join a vets or open club it is all the same license and you can race anywhere with it.
Not true in SA - the vets clubs here are separate to Cycling SA. If you join an SA vets club you can't race in Cycling Australia events unless you join a CA affiliated club as well.