Brisbane River Route

hillclimber

Brisbane River Route

Postby hillclimber » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi all, I've moved back to Brisbane after quite a while away. People often refer to the "river route", but after reviewing bikely there doesn't seem to be any common route. If anyone could tell me what the most accepted river route is that would be great. I'd like to join a club soon and figure this ride would be good conditioning. I'm in St Lucia by the way.

Great forum. I've been observing for ages. It's quite entertaining!

Pax

Re: Brisbane River Route

Postby Pax » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:38 am

I don't do the River Loop so can't help with the "official" route, but WELCOME to Brisbane :D

What kind of riding do you do?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 am

G'day

Perhaps search River Loop.

Not being smart. That's the common name for it.

hillclimber

Postby hillclimber » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks guys. I found all variations of "River + X". I guess it doesn't really matter. I just thought that there may be a particular path that the clubs take.

Pax - I seem to be doing a lot of "construction site" riding (Coro) on my Scott racer and for commuting to uni and late night cruising I ride an old Olympic 12 Repco fixie conversion (which I'm about to rip the bb out of because its just developed a noise).

Thanks again.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:00 pm

There are lots of variations to the Loop. This is as good as any http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Br ... River-Loop. If you like you can make it shorter by giving Chelmer, Graceville and Sherwood a miss or make it longer by including, Story Bridge, Mt Coot-tha. If you want to bunch ride the main one that I am aware of is the Dolce Vita ride that leaves from Park Rd around 6am on Saturday mornings.

Enjoy!

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:30 pm

goneriding wrote:There are lots of variations to the Loop. This is as good as any http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Br ... River-Loop. If you like you can make it shorter by giving Chelmer, Graceville and Sherwood a miss or make it longer by including, Story Bridge, Mt Coot-tha. If you want to bunch ride the main one that I am aware of is the Dolce Vita ride that leaves from Park Rd around 6am on Saturday mornings.
Enjoy!
That is a nice version of the loop.
I have done loop solo or with a small group mostly, and usually take the "shortcuts" at Lambert Rd and then i go straight off the Jack Pesch bridge onto Roseberry Terrace ( :!: caution needed here )
This puts you along the river from Queenscroft St to Nadine St - really nice.
Since earlier this year it is possible to do a nice little shortcut at Yeronga through the new Tennis Centre.
This bypasses the really annoying set of lights at the intersection of Curzon St and King Arthur Terrace.
(if you dont get lost trying to find the way out).
It is generally far better to do loop heading outbound along Coro drive (or bikepath) and back through Dutton Park
This way most of the turns are to the left and the early morning blinding sun is not a hazard.
Regards, Steve

hillclimber

Postby hillclimber » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:01 am

Great info! The blinding sun is something I wouldn't have considered and no doubt would have found out the hard way, so thank you.

Can't wait to try it out. Although I need to get some full length gloves. Arrived at an exam this morning with frozen fingers.