Commuting info

Peebee

Commuting info

Postby Peebee » Sat May 30, 2009 4:27 pm

I have just got a new job that doesnt come with a company car, so what better reason to start commuting to work. I am after any advice from people who regularly commute on what gear I should have in my kit, for firstly winter and secondly summer in Adelaide and any tips to make the change to commuting easier etc.

Thanks,

Paul

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Commuting info

Postby Kalgrm » Sat May 30, 2009 4:52 pm

This thread has been moved to the commuting section.

Paul,

Check out the commuting section - there's heaps of information there.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat May 30, 2009 5:49 pm

OK so I'll jump in with the first reply.

Welcome along to the wonderful world of commuting. It is fantastic.

I assume that you have looked at the following threads in the Commuting section:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15056
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15348
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15606
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14588
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12568

That'll give you a start on panniers/backpacks, clothes, riding safely, etc.

Most important thing is that there is a heap of personal preference in all of the advice so Don't spend a heap on stuff straight up. Experiment a bit.

Also you don't give us a much info about you and your commute :D :? how experienced are you on a bike, how long/hard is the commute etc. Fill us in we love the details of what other riders are doing (it looks from your other posts that you have some riding experience :D )

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:00 pm

I didn't spend a lot of money to get set up, mainly because I have been using what I have. I already had a bike, so chucked some cheap tyres on it and used my bike helmet, gym gloves as cycling gloves, old nicks, old running shoes and an old backpack. All I have really bought is an under seat pack for spares, patches and some spare tubes <$30 all up. My backpack is big enough so that I can fit an ironed business shirt in it without the shirt getting crumpled.
<removed by request>

the dang

Postby the dang » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:chucked some cheap tyres on it
Possibly the next thing you wanna spend money on, if you keep up the commute. For the first few weeks I commuted on really cheap tyres too and when I felt like I was going to stick with it regularly, I upgraded to good tyres. It made my commute much more efficient because they were thinner, slick and rated at much higher PSI. They also offer more puncture protection.

Good luck and have fun

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:53 pm

the dang wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:chucked some cheap tyres on it
Possibly the next thing you wanna spend money on, if you keep up the commute. For the first few weeks I commuted on really cheap tyres too and when I felt like I was going to stick with it regularly, I upgraded to good tyres. It made my commute much more efficient because they were thinner, slick and rated at much higher PSI. They also offer more puncture protection.
I have not had any punctures on my cheapies. They are puncture 'resistant' but I doubt to the same extent that 'proper' tyres are. I just ran those same tyres on my 300 on the weekend and didn't have any trouble. They are slicks and roll nicely so I will be sticking with them unless I find out they don't last (front is up to 2,130km+ so far). I am heavy so only run tyres at 100psi anyway. I find the ride a bit harsh at pressures over that.
<removed by request>

timbo

Postby timbo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:20 pm

If anyone is intending to commute by bike for the first time, it may pay to do a trial run on the weekend before you start, so you can gauge what the road conditions are like by bike, how long it will take, and how it goes carrying any gear to use at work. You may also discover there are quieter side streets not far from busier roads which are a lot more enjoyable to ride along (something you soon learn in Sydney).
If you are to get changed at work, you could use the Monday to carry the clean, ironed clothes to work by car, and cycle the rest of the week.

Peebee

Postby Peebee » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the info. Started the new job this week, so will be giving things a go hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I do have the issue of needing to change into business attire when I arrive so the Monday car run to take in the clothes is a good idea. Have checked out facilities and all looks good there so its just a matter of me doing it and working out the details I suppose.

I have been riding socially for the last couple of years so equipment wise I am sorted, just want to be sure I have all bases covered as I dont like getting somewhere and realising there was a better way to do it i.e. I hadnt considered leaving a dry kit at work in case you get wet in the morning - sure beats putting the wet gear back on fo the trip home - something I hadnt thought of!

My commute if I went direct is only 10k's, however I try and do a 35k ride before work in the morning with a nice 3k 6% hill in it so will be trying to co-ordinate this in the commute time permitting.

At the moment I am trying to get my head around the new job so once the dust is settled I will be right into it (hopefully the mornings dont get too much colder - 4.6 degrees this morning, could certainly fel it).

Once again thanks for the replies!

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Take an emergency business shirt in and leave it somewhere handy.

You'll need it when you least expect it. :wink: