How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

gdl_gdl

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 am

Great ride today, 5 C when I left the house and virtually no wind for the entire journey! A rarity for Perth!

The only risk was that the roads were still damp and so my wet tyres were attracting stones and other objects, however I made it into work glass and puncture free. There's a dry day forecast so should have dry roads for the return home.

Cheers,

Gary

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:30 am

-2.5 this morning, a taste of things to come :)
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:33 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:-2.5 this morning, a taste of things to come :)
Crap you beat me, was only 0 for me :D Although I did snap the rear derailleur cable (at the lever end) on the way in so only had 10th and 20th for two thirds of the ride! Should be fixed by the LBS in time to go home tonight.

Was warm(ish) today as I wore
knicks
leg warmers
arm warmers
t shirt
cycling shirt
spray jacket
balaclava
2 pair of gloves
boot covers
I think that's all, gonna be a heavt trip home carrying all that gear :lol:

Have a good weekend all
Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Yesterday morning almost put myself in a tricky situation.

As i was riding along the share path from Pyrmont Bridge to King St, 2 pedestrians propped/stopped, blocking the lane. The guy behind stepped straight out to go around them and into the path of an oncoming cyclist. I was next wheel back from her (about 2m). We all came to almost a halt and carnage was avoided luckily.

Now this thing happens quite a lot on this path, and i was almost going give the guy a verbal about wearing Ipods and checking over his shoulder. As i opened my mouth i noticed it was the boss walking to work. The mouth quickly closed...

When the boss got to work i asked him if he had a death wish!!!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

DaNmAn

Postby DaNmAn » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Thursday was fun... Minus 6 degrees in Canberra, left before sun up as usual... Saw the most spectacular rosy reflection of the pre sunrise sky on the lake (Yerrabi pond, but still lake size) with the silhouette of 4 kayakers.

16km to work, by 8km my water was quite well on its way to freezing, the whole inside was lined with a few mm of ice and plenty of icicles in the water.

Wore -

toe covers,
Sneakers,
2 pairs socks,
Leg warmers,
Jersey,
T-shirt,
Hoodie,
neck gaiter,
beanie,
2pairs of gloves....

Getting that home was fun... But I like the cold.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:19 pm

DaNmAn wrote:Thursday was fun...
16km to work, by 8km my water was quite well on its way to freezing, the whole inside was lined with a few mm of ice and plenty of icicles in the water.
... But I like the cold.
:shock: :shock: :shock: you are insane but good on you :lol: :roll:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:58 am

I have been off my bike for a week due to weather and a cold :roll: Back into it this week tho with a spectacular ride into work. It was cool but the sun rising over the river was inspiring. I had a bit of a slow trip because I spent too much time enjoying the scenery. Thinsulate gloves and a beanie kept my hands and head warm. No wind made the ride a pleasure :D Felt great to be back on my bike.
<removed by request>

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Down to 5 degrees in Sydney last week, very cold and I had to wear socks over my gloves one day to keep my fingers warm :? I did buy a nice pair of windproof gloves in the Anaconda sale over the weekend to get round that problem though :wink:

Didn't cycle today as I thought it would be a bit cold to take my four year old to daycare on the back of the bike at 7am. But he complained so much about having to go in the car I might just try it with him tomorrow. :)

lukas

Postby lukas » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:40 pm

Another cold one this morning. Not as bad as Friday though. Legs were sore from a tough ride in the RNP on Saturday morning. I’m thinking it’ll only be a matter of time before I fall victim to the magnificent array of debris on the M5 shoulder, which I ride between Riverwood and Revesby. Hopefully my first flat since starting the new job last week won’t come tonight.. on my birthday.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Positively warm this morning, a whole 7c made the ride almost enjoyable. :D Most importantly no wind to speak of. 8)
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:43 pm

A cold 7 C for my ride today. Luckily I was aided yet again by a NE tailwind for my 40km trip.

Saw one cyclist on the PSP with a front light only! I suppose it's better than none but won't help you much on the roads! :roll:

Cheers,

Gary

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:21 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:A cold 7 C for my ride today.
I didn't check the temperature but it took about 15 km for me to feel that I was warming up this morning on my ride along the coast (well sort of). Left later too at around 7:00 AM.

Andrew
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Forgetting the beanie hurts the ears, great ride otherwise.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Had to work late because I did my work + the work of 2 other team members today :evil: First time I have ridden home after sunset and its looking rather cold and dark outside. I have 2 lights on the front and 2 on the back and lots of warm clothes so I will see how I go.
<removed by request>

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:05 pm

I finish work at 5.30pm with another 15minutes to change and get out on the road it's always dark ride home this time of year. :( If I go the any of the long ways there aint no street lights. :) Always seems colder at night yet it's usually at least 5 to 10c warmer. Go figure. :shock:
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Doc63

Postby Doc63 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:20 pm

My commute to work this morning was great, except form the flat tyre half way there. First time its happened on the way to work.

Neil
Malvern Star SL500 10 Speed (circa 1977)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:00 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Had to work late because I did my work + the work of 2 other team members today :evil: First time I have ridden home after sunset and its looking rather cold and dark outside. I have 2 lights on the front and 2 on the back and lots of warm clothes so I will see how I go.
Got home safe and sound :D It was actually a nice ride home... not too cold (but I was rugged up to the max). My cheapy front light from anaconda was enough to see by and it was great to see about 15 other bike riders. Every single person I saw riding had proper front lighting on the bike paths and road. It was very good to see :D :D
<removed by request>

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Left home at 6:20am when I had a spin class at 6:45am so I was a man on a mission, and combined with a couple of slip streams of some cars, I made it there on time. Problem was I was tired from the take no prisoners bike ride, so I felt it during the spin class.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:07 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Left home at 6:20am when I had a spin class at 6:45am....
You ride a bike outside so you can ride a bike inside :o Hope the instructor's cute :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 pm

G'day

My grumpy thoughts on this mornings commute ...

Shocking ride north to Joondalup this morning. Headed out the door late; found rear flat; changed rear tube (at least it was at Anne's); no legs at all ... crawled my way to Joondalup.

The Surly is all about taking a big step backwards and rebuilding my fitness to ride it. Interesting I am riding better on the Look 555 but. Just need to beat the Surly into submission :)

Ride home was much more friendly .... the winds are for once in my favour in the evenings ... just not in the mornings.

Andrew
Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 am

Exciting ride in to the City this morning. I left late as usual :roll: (I seem to be having trouble waking up in winter) and stepped on it to try to get to work on time. As I came over the Rivervale hill I could see the entire CBD and surrounds blanketed by very dark clouds. As I passed the Belmont Race Course I felt my first drops of rain. The rain eased off as I raced to work as fast as I could. A bit of rain normally would not worry me but today I had an open backpack (broken zip) with my business shirt for the day neatly folded inside :shock: The spots eased as I crossed the river a couple of minutes from work. By the time I reached McIvor Train Station a light drizzle had started again. I raced up to the intersection of Beaufort and Wellington but missed the lights and was stuck waiting in increasingly heavy drizzle. The lights finally changed and I bolted the last 100m or so to cover. The damage? One very slightly wet business shirt which was pretty much dry by the time I had finished my shower :D
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:39 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: One very slightly wet business shirt which was pretty much dry by the time I had finished my shower :D
You did better than me ... Six kilometres out, the sky was threatening, few drops and I thought I would make it so didn't bother with getting the jacket out. About 600 metres from the office, red light, buckets down .... :roll:

Andrew
Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: One very slightly wet business shirt which was pretty much dry by the time I had finished my shower :D
You did better than me ... Six kilometres out, the sky was threatening, few drops and I thought I would make it so didn't bother with getting the jacket out. About 600 metres from the office, red light, buckets down .... :roll:

Andrew
I hope you had dry clothes to change into.
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:56 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
I hope you had dry clothes to change into.
Yes and a shower ...

Andrew
Andrew

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:56 pm

I saw the forecast today and decided against the ride! This was vindicated when I saw the lightning strikes over the City at around 6.45 to 7.00am. (Although it did clear quickly)

Given that I am leaving for my hols on Saturday and the last time I went overseas I smashed my arm in on the bike a few days beforehand, I decided to take the low risk option! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary