Commute Routes

Kev365428

Commute Routes

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:35 am

There have been a lot of questions asked on these forums about Commute Routes from one location to another, so I thought I'd start a thread where commuters can post their preferred route for their commute. This can then be sort of a catalogue where forum members can search for routes to help them find their way.

To keep it simple and easy to understand, I suggest that all routes be mapped in Bikely or MapMyRide, so that others can easily see where the route is. MapMyRide has the added benefit of being downloadable to any Garmin GPS such as the Edge 305-705 series. Not sure if this can be done from Bikely, but I'm sure someone will tell us if it can.

The format for posting your route should ideally start with your state, seeing as how the Commuting section covers the nation, then state the start/finish locations, It might also be worth noting any hazards, issues, or interesting sights along the route for others to be wary of/looking for.

The only thing concerns me is extended discussion happening about certain commutes. i.e - I think this way is better than that way, or general discussion about commute routes. If it's relevant, post it but try to keep it short. If it's not, start another thread to discuss it. The last thing anyone wants to do is to troll though pages and pages of discussion looking for a certain route.

I'm open for suggestions to make it a better thread, and if enough posts warrant it, I'll make it a sticky.

Thoughts?

Kev.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:40 am

And I'll start the ball rolling.

NSW - Ingleburn to Sydney Airport via M5

Only things to watch out for is debris on the M5 shoulder, tight traffic on the Prince's Hwy and Qantas Dr. No really back breaking climbs. Good average speeds on the M5 makes for fast times.

Alternate route via Henry Lawson Dr

A bit more hill climbing and a more scenic route.

Kev.

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:40 am

Last edited by waynohh on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Strawburger

Re: Commute Routes

Postby Strawburger » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:33 am

Kev365428 wrote: Not sure if this can be done from Bikely, but I'm sure someone will tell us if it can.
Yes it can, i do it regularly. I can't remember the file type it needs but it can be achieved in either sporttracks or training centre. Haven't tried it from ascent yet.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:36 pm

This is how I get to work. Note the diversion to Haberfield. That's where my favourite Bakery is

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Home-to-work190995

gauchoracer

Postby gauchoracer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:09 pm

[quote="Kev365428"]And I'll start the ball rolling.

[url=http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/In ... Airport-M5] NSW - Ingleburn to Sydney Airport via M5[/url]

Only things to watch out for is debris on the M5 shoulder, tight traffic on the Prince's Hwy and Qantas Dr. No really back breaking climbs. Good average speeds on the M5 makes for fast times.[/quote]

Greetings Kev,
Living near hinchinbrook, and working at St Peters, I was looking at a route similar to yours. How do you find the stretch from Hume Hwy, to heatcote rd, regarding the layout of the lanes through that stretch? What time are you usually through there?
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Hey gauchoracer,

The route between The Hume and Heathcote Rd is prety good. Some debris is evident on the bridge that spans the river/railwayline, but other than that it's ok. Oh, that's in a easterly direction by the way. When heading west I opt for the footpath on the bridge as it's usually afternoon peak hour and all the impatient smokebox jockeys are racing to get home for beer and pizza. Four lanes of 100km/h traffic and no breakdown lane makes for a cyclist unfriendly zone.

When riding, I'm usually in that vicinity between 0535 and 0545 hours. The return journey sees me there at anytime really. It depends what time I knock off.

Might see you out there some time.

Kev.

adam81

Postby adam81 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:55 am

my two commutes the long scenic scenic commute. The short and sweetdirect commute.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:59 am

goneriding wrote:This is how I get to work. Note the diversion to Haberfield. That's where my favourite Bakery is

Which one is that? Don't recall a bakery in Haberfield shops.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:44 pm

My initial commute to TAFE, which I have been happily using for 5 weeks. Unfortunately there are three rather challenging climbs along the way for a young, unfit cyclist like me.

http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=27602

After being the victim of road rage the other day I considered the possibility of using separated cycle-ways for my commute. The result is a commute which is twice as long, and does involve a short distance on a main road. I have explored most parts of this cycleway before, and I know that there will be a couple of hills to climb, but it might be a much more pleasant ride, especially in the mornings.

http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=27604

I might even be able to extend this trip be going down the road to the Station in the mornings (this route seems to give me the least trouble), follow the cycleway along the railway line briefly and then turn left and eventually join up where it meets Polding street north. It's too late to map that one out now. I'll do it another day.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Dial

Noth Shore Sydney to City

Postby Dial » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Only riding to North Sydney at the moment but we are moving to the city next month. I'd take the same route and then ride over the bridge.

St Ives to North Sydney

North Sydney to St Ives

I generally stay off the Pacific Highway on the way in because its three lanes all the way so there are heaps of rat runners. Where I do ride the Highway its heavy traffic so I actually enjoy riding past all the suckers :)

On the way home the lanes on the Highway vary from 2 to 3 so there is a lot less rat running up the inside. Still, when it narrows to 2 lanes, make sure there are no semi's comming up behind. I just stop and let them through

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

NSW - Castle Hill/St Leonards commute

Postby Boognoss » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Here's my inbound commute - NSW - Castle Hill to St Leonards
Straight down Old Northern Rd to Baulkham Hills and onto the M2. Off at Delhi Rd (as far as bicycles are allowed to ride), and onto the shared path from North Ryde to Artarmon. Off at Herbert St and up the hill to my office in St Leonards.

And my outbound commute - NSW - St Leonards to Castle Hill
Can't ride on the M2 between Lane Cove Rd and Beecroft Rd, so I don't bother with the official detour route. I continue along the shared path past Delhi Rd and turn left onto Ryrie St. Then follow low(ish) traffic streets to join up with the official detour route at Vimiera Rd and continue to Beecroft Rd where I join the M2 shoulder. Lately I've been riding further along Windsor Rd because it's wider and safer than Old Northern Rd which tends up hill from Baulkham HIlls to Castle Hill and isn't the best with my commuter and loaded panniers. Occasional idiot bus drivers don't like it when I have no choice but ride on the roadway for short (always uphill :evil: ) sections where there is no shoulder but otherwise a good route. 3 extra km, but it's all about the total in Bike Journal ;-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Tale

Postby Tale » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:37 pm

Mine is Meadowbank to Artarmon. Back via exactly the same route. I am getting into awesome climbing shape.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 am

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:05 pm

G'day

Looks like we need some WA commutes here! Here is one to get things started, more to come:

WA - Joondalup to Churchlands via the Coast

This is a mix of road and path, with some relativity narrow road riding from Hillary to Trig. From Trig the route goes shared path through to south of Scarborough. Far more scenic than the Freeway ride, a bit longer and a lot more windy (particularly heading south).

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:08 pm

G'day

WA - Fremantle to Joondalup along the Coast

This is my longer commute and is all road when heading north. I also take in Cottesloe for a little bit of scenery. It can get a bit hairy crossing the Old Fremantle Traffic Bridge and heading west along Tydeman Road. Once clear of this area it is good until Trigg and then the road narrows through to Hillarys. It can be ridden more on path if that suits you.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:22 am

sogood wrote:
goneriding wrote:This is how I get to work. Note the diversion to Haberfield. That's where my favourite Bakery is

Which one is that? Don't recall a bakery in Haberfield shops.
It's on Ramsey, just before the Dalhousie St lights. There is a pasta shop next door to it.

docboat

Postby docboat » Tue May 05, 2009 1:43 pm

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bi ... -Perth-CBD for my route. A lovely dawn ride beside the rivers, it feels even better when you can pass the cars stacked up on the freeway. Windy on the return journey. As usual.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:04 am

Here is the alternate route I take on my work-bound commute to avoid the M5 and the tyre-penetrating debris that litters it's shoulders.

I've ridden 95% of this route, with only the river crossing at Padstow to go, but I have walked it and it looks doable.

Kev.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Here is my morning commute route from Yagoona West to Eastern Creek.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ya ... ek-Commute

This is a few km's longer than the shortest route, but avoids the worst of morning heavy truck traffic on Liverpool Rd and the Horsley Drive (particularly the hill west of Cowpasture Rd on Horsley Drive, which curves to the left and reduces your visibility to traffic). For the evening east-bound trip, I'm happy to take the downhill section to Cowpasture Rd on the road where you can be more clearly seen and avoided.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

VictorE

Postby VictorE » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:13 pm

docboat wrote:http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bi ... -Perth-CBD for my route. A lovely dawn ride beside the rivers, it feels even better when you can pass the cars stacked up on the freeway. Windy on the return journey. As usual.
Brings back memories :D

When I studied at UWA in the late 80s and early 90s, I used to cycle from Mt Pleasant to UWA via the freeway bike path. It was generally a quick run to the uni, but sometimes the afternoon headwinds going back were a bit stiff! I loved that path :)

Another of my favourite rides was the circuit around the north and south banks of the Swan between Fremantle and Perth - sticking to the bike paths when they were available, but otherwise using roads, I think it was around 35-40kms round trip, or something like that. There's even a few hills around Peppermint Grove/Mosman Park to get the heartrate going! Sorry, don't have a map for that one :(
“Newspapers are unable, seemingly to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization”
- George Bernard Shaw.

(alas, how much has changed)

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Cool thread guys, my routes pretty boring compared to some here.. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Co ... -Liverpool
I do a slightly longer variant on the way home to make it 70km round trip. From once a month, I'm now up to being able to do it twice a week.

Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:01 pm

ruscook wrote:Cool thread guys, my routes pretty boring compared to some here.. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Co ... -Liverpool
I do a slightly longer variant on the way home to make it 70km round trip. From once a month, I'm now up to being able to do it twice a week.

Russ
Boring ? There'd be thousands more cyclists commuting to work if it could be done on cycleways as well designed as the M7 cycleway. The only problem is that it encircles Sydney and generally runs across rather than with the main commuter traffic routes. What we need is similar cycling infrastructure into the Parramatta and Sydney CBD's

Can you imagine how many cyclists would commute into the CBD if there was an M7 like cycleway from Blacktown to the Parramatta CBD and on to the Sydney CBD ?, Or from Sutherland to Sydney CBD or similar from Hornsby to Sydney ?

Russ, if your route is boring, please serve it up in spades.

Cheers
:D :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:25 pm

wombatK wrote:
ruscook wrote:Cool thread guys, my routes pretty boring compared to some here.. http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Co ... -Liverpool
Boring ? There'd be thousands more cyclists commuting to work if it could be done on cycleways as well designed as the M7 cycleway. The only problem is that it encircles Sydney and generally runs across rather than with the main commuter traffic routes. What we need is similar cycling infrastructure into the Parramatta and Sydney CBD's

Can you imagine how many cyclists would commute into the CBD if there was an M7 like cycleway from Blacktown to the Parramatta CBD and on to the Sydney CBD ?, Or from Sutherland to Sydney CBD or similar from Hornsby to Sydney ?
I just meant the complexity of the routes others take to avoid traffic, the number of suburbs they go through etc. Make for an interesting ride.

The M7 is good for me, as I stay off the road for 20km of the 33km commute. Using the Transit Way for another 5km means I only have about 8km on shared roads. That's pretty good. When I worked at Camperdown, I rode in a few times on the M4, Marion St, and Parramatta Rd. That was a hard slog (about 40kg heavier than now, and much further, 49k each way, and busier) so I didn't do it often, not just because of the fitness, but the M4 and Parramatta Rd (even in the bus lanes) were just so busy it was scary at times.

I do agree with you point about the M7. It applies to a lot of other cycle routes in Sydney. Seems because they're required on new roads and the developers pay for them, the RTA and local council don't do much at all. So new suburbs will get a cycleway that doesn't connect to anything! Damn frustrating for a commute.
Russ, if your route is boring, please serve it up in spades.
Good point Wombat :D
Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:19 pm

My commute has lots of nice bike path. :D

*Link deleted by Mod*

NB. I really like the little profile chart that bikemap.net makes of your route. Also the topographic cycle map (OSM Cycle) with the various bike-paths and cycle-lanes mapped is awesome.

Runjikol, I removed the link you provided to your commute map because each time I opened it, it caused IE7 to crash. Can you please check the link and repost if it seems ok to you. Cheers mate.

Kev.

I tested it wih IE7 and it rendered fine, albeit slower than Firefox, so I suspect the issue is Flash. Make sure you have v10 or later installed.

Here's the link again:
My Commute
Hope that provides better results to IE7 users (with Flash v10+) :D

Almost forgot I have a bikely version, too, but preferred bikemap.net interface. I tried Bikely first - for the record. 8)
Runjikol's commute

Last edited by Runjikol on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll