URGENT Need to choose a road bike

dmenace

URGENT Need to choose a road bike

Postby dmenace » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:18 pm

Hey Everyone this is my first post thanks for your assistance!

I want to buy a new road bike for myself however since I am a newbie, I do not know what to look for...

Currently there is a Schwinn Prelude 700c for AU$279 at Kmart (AU$120 cheaper than normal). For further info see the following link please:

- psuedo link removed -

Is this a pretty decent deal or is it a poor bike. My current bike is a dual suspension mountain bike that needs new rims, pedals and tyres as I have always taken it to the limit.

This is the kind of cycling that I want to do. Taking corners hard, going ridiculously fast and taking the bike to its limit. On the road.

Or should I miss the offer and pay $1000 for an entry level Trek 1000 or Avanti Monza. This is quite expensive - is it worth it.

I mean the kmart bike while a bit heavier, and doesnt have STI shifters and a carbon fork is still decent - its got an aluminium frame / fork / rims and a decent shimano 14 speed tranny.

Can someone help me as I am going to have to make a decision fast or i'll miss the offer.

By the way, the kmart bike is not on display - its in a box and i cant really sit on it etc.

Thanks in advance. Remember I am a newbie to road bikes. And I cant afford the best.

EDIT: If you know of a good bike shop that can offer me a good deal in the Eastern Suburbs or on the North Shore please advice me!

My email is denis001( at)gmail( dot)com

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:21 pm

Men’s Schwinn 700C Prelude Road Bike

Is that the US$ price? How much in AU$ ?

Has it got quick release wheels?

PS, I hate having the gear leavers where they are - personal preference.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:27 pm

hi...welcome to road bikes,obviously price is a concern.But if you go to Kmart / Target etc and you can't even sit on the bike and you are new to road bikes the chance of you getting a good fitting bike are slim.My advice...of which others may disagree is first go to a bike shop and tell them you want a road bike even if you are just looking you will at least have someone tell you the right size frame etc before purchasing blind.
If you have $1000...then spend $1000 because you will get a bike that you want to ride instead of a bike that may not be that inspiring.

stated

re

Postby stated » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:44 pm

You'd be better off visiting the cell shop for starters. they have a website that you can check out.

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:44 pm

I might raise a question here... Do we know if this is available in Australia? If it is, then I think we have an interesting avenue to get more people on road bikes again.

And even if it is, I reckon, you'd be better spending half that (or less!) on an 80s racer off eBay or out of the trading post. Just try jumping on eBay, search for "road bike" and sort from lowest price to highest price. You'll get some quite decent machines for under $100.

I noticed on that site that lots of people were complaining about the tubes blowing spontaneously, which makes me wonder if the spokes are protruding into the rim and puncturing the tube. That doesn't speak well of the quality of the parts or assembly.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Spend your money on a good second hand machine - by 'good', I mean in good nick (so don't buy sight unseen or unridden). As McPete said, you can do better than that for a lot less that way.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:26 pm

McPete wrote:I might raise a question here... Do we know if this is available in Australia? If it is, then I think we have an interesting avenue to get more people on road bikes again.

And even if it is, I reckon, you'd be better spending half that (or less!) on an 80s racer off eBay or out of the trading post. Just try jumping on eBay, search for "road bike" and sort from lowest price to highest price. You'll get some quite decent machines for under $100.

I noticed on that site that lots of people were complaining about the tubes blowing spontaneously, which makes me wonder if the spokes are protruding into the rim and puncturing the tube. That doesn't speak well of the quality of the parts or assembly.
I second that - a good second hand steel roadie will serve you very well and probably cost you less. You can pick up something like an late 80s/early 90s Repco Superlight or victory Tri-A with reasonably good components (say 7/8 speed Shimano 105 if you are lucky) and a Cro-Mo steel frame that would probably be lighter than the aluminum frame of that Kmart job.

Something like this:

For another example of the sort of thing check out this old ebay ads:

nimm

Postby nimm » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:28 pm

it's an aussie deal, i have the K-mart catalogue in front of me: $279.

It says 700C rims, alu frame, shimano 14 speed with 7-speed shifters. It comes with brakes too. The guy in the picture only looks somewhat happy.

dmenace

Thanks

Postby dmenace » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am truly overwhelmed by the response.

Put aside your kmart prejudices for a moment. Do you think Schwinn is a good brand? Its been around since the 1800s?

I will probably visit a good bike shop again before making a decision. Am looking forward to entering the world of road bikes.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Schwinn as sold in department stores is different from Schwinn as sold in bike stores.

IF your primary concern is price, it might do you okay.

Consider however:
- It's very, very, very low end Shimano. You wouldn't normally see these components on road bikes at all.
- They appear to only have one size, which is "12 and up", which probably means it's pretty small. If you're planning to ride a lot, a bike that's too small can be pretty unpleasant - more so on road bikes than MTBs and hybrids.
- You can have a Giant OCR 3 now for ~$800, with 2200 components, STI shifters and a carbon fork. It'll be lighter and have a better warranty.
- You can have a Trek 1000 with Sora components and a carbon fork for $1000.

So, if you need to save the money now, it might be okay for a while to get you into road riding. I can't know for sure because I haven't tried the bike. But you are making trade-offs for your money - the parts, frame, fork etc are not in the same league as a bike store's entry level road bikes.

If you can afford the $1000, I'd get an entry level Trek or Giant (or Avanti or ...). Get it from a store who is interested in sizing you up and getting you well fitted on it, and ride it a lot. A carbon fork and STI shifters (and better deraileurs, wheels, tyres) makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the ride.

But I do like seeing road bikes in department stores, at least then the buyers are less likely to take them off road and destroy them without seeing the "not for off road use" sticker. ;)

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:57 pm

I've certainly heard of Schwinn, but it can't be said that a brand or it's bikes can often be judged by their history.

The bike you've put in front of us here is VERY basic for the money it costs, so far as can be seen from one photo and a bunch of comments.

See if you can ride one, then go and try a steel framed 80s racer, or something more modern.
Go on feel, see which you like. In buying the Schwinn, just remember that it's probably not being put together by an experienced bicycle mechanic, so try to get it checked out by an experienced mechanic before you try riding it at any speed more than walking pace.

sogood

Re: Thanks

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:58 pm

dmenace wrote:Put aside your kmart prejudices for a moment. Do you think Schwinn is a good brand? Its been around since the 1800s?
Specific model's specification is much more meaningful.

As for brand. Yes, it's long time coming since the 1800s. That's all you can say about these companies. Just check in detail how many of those components of said bike is actually designed and produced by Schwinn. At a guess... Just the decal.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:59 pm

dmen
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:13 pm

nimm wrote:it's an aussie deal, i have the K-mart catalogue in front of me: $279.

It says 700C rims, alu frame, shimano 14 speed with 7-speed shifters. It comes with brakes too. The guy in the picture only looks somewhat happy.
looks somewhat happy.... Can you scan the photo in and post, got to be something funny in that.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:15 pm

Link to man of dubious happiness
Bnej wrote:- You can have a Giant OCR 3 now for ~$800, with 2200 components, STI shifters and a carbon fork. It'll be lighter and have a better warranty.
- You can have a Trek 1000 with Sora components and a carbon fork for $1000.
)
Or you can have a Cell Swift with Tiagra Gear and a carbon fork for $900...

For reference, the road bike gearing system works like this, from worst to best:
Stuff on the Schwinn<2200<Sora<Tiagra<105<Ultegra<Dura-Ace

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:20 pm

Check [
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:24 pm

^^^
Agreed. That's quite a bike for the money, but that bloke sounds like he has some idea of what that bike is worth. A lot of people on ebay seem to be selling their old bikes for absolute peanuts.

Look at this Apollo!

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:26 pm

[url=
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:27 pm

Needs handlebar tape :P

EDIT: No, it doesn't, it's just got colour matched tape that isn't covered in grease... how rare!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:30 pm

Wish that Apollo was in Melb.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:41 pm

[url=
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:45 pm

DAMN! That's quite a serious Repco!

dmenace

Some thoughts

Postby dmenace » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your honest and clear replies! It really made my day... :) You guys are so professional and really know your stuff!

I especially like the suggestions made about buying a second hand road bike - you can find quite a few bargains!

I can understand now why the department store Schwinn isnt that good! (Thanks esp. to toolonglegs, bnej, mcpete, sogood & mountgower) I think I'll give the Kmart offer a miss :( but instead I'll investigate both the new and 2nd hand bikes for sale around Sydney. (Will definetely visit this forum more often then! :D)

Yes, I can afford a new road bike BUT there are many attractive 2nd hand bargains too. The hard part with 2nd hand bikes for me is going to be seperating the good deals from the bad. This is because I dont know what to look for in old bikes. i.e. McPete's hierarchy of gearing systems is good for new bikes but what about bikes 10 years old?

If I go for a new bike, I'll have to somehow compare say a Trek 1000, Avanti Monza, Giant OCR3 and the Cell Swift. Has someone already reviewed these bikes on the net?

I really enjoyed reading your suggestions. McPete - "Link to man of dubious happiness" :lol: Nimm - "It comes with brakes too." :oops: :wink:

EDIT: spelling, smileys

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:18 pm

Older stuff is a bit fuzzy as far as I'm concerned... I'm only good with the modern Shimano stuff, it's just so much more common than anything else.

Good names to look for in older stuff are SR SunTour Honor(which is what I run on my Apollo III), Shimano 600, and as far as I know any Campagnolo gear you can get your mitts on!

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:18 pm

want a real good deal? check this one out, the only thing stopping me from blowing my budget on this is that i'm currently overspent as it is, plus it's in NSW, and i'd need to get it shipped.

ebay link

i'd imagine it'll go up as the auction ends, but still, would be much less than what you'd pay in the shops. might be worth checking out, if you like.