TdF Stage 6

Hotdog

TdF Stage 6

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Vinokourov looks like an Egyptian mummy today...

Wiggins all on his own 14 minutes in front of the peloton, a solo breakaway starting so early is impressive masochism even for a professional cyclist. :shock:

McPete

Postby McPete » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:29 pm

You're not half kidding about that... although they did pull back another bloke who went after him real quick.
Wiggins is a braver man than I, or he counted on some company on his breakaway...

I was more thinking that Vinokourov looked more like a paw-paw(the fruit) with those binding things...

Oh christ, Degano just looks like he had a big bingle... He looks pretty messed up.

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:51 pm

Just been announced he's had to go off to the hospital, and is out of the Tour. It was another accident at a feeding station, they're pretty hazardous :?

I reckon Wiggins was just hoping that everyone is too knackered and/or injured after yesterday's stage to chase him down. The peloton is clearly going to catch him of course, but he's collecting some points, bonuses and tv exposure in the mean time.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:26 am

Good on Wiggins, even if he doesn't last - his dad is Aussie too so we can claim him :D

Boonen and Zabel just arguing over points on the 71km to go intermediate sprint - they're nuts, but it's good to see the intermediate sprints featuring in the main chase for the green.

The lad's woken me up twice and I've just sent him to bed (because he was even more sound asleep). Someone wake me just before the finish please (I can't rely on the cat :roll: )

Richa...zzzzzzzz
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:48 am

europa wrote:Good on Wiggins, even if he doesn't last - his dad is Aussie too so we can claim him :D
You can't have him :wink: He may have an Aussie dad and have been born in Belgium but he's officially a Pom (like me... :roll: ). He's held out long enough to finish the second climb in the lead and so he's won all the intermediate sprint and climb bonuses for the stage, a great effort.

Team Astana have been clinging onto the back of the peloton pretty much the whole day, Vinokourov and Kloden looking to be some discomfort due to their injuries.

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:02 am

Hotdog wrote:
europa wrote:Good on Wiggins, even if he doesn't last - his dad is Aussie too so we can claim him :D
You can't have him :wink: He may have an Aussie dad and have been born in Belgium but he's officially a Pom (like me... :roll: ).
Boo hiss, no wonder you ride lying down and have a beer bottle holder on your bike :D

Richard
not that I'm competitive or anything

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:29 am

All these ads for the Tour Down Under and Breakaway series are gradually brainwashing me into thinking I want to take a holiday in South Australia in January and cycle around (lying down with a cool beer attached to my bike, naturally) :shock:

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:13 am

Hotdog wrote:All these ads for the Tour Down Under and Breakaway series are gradually brainwashing me into thinking I want to take a holiday in South Australia in January and cycle around (lying down with a cool beer attached to my bike, naturally) :shock:
Well, I'm sure a soft patch of carpet could be found mate :wink:

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:18 am

Yay Boonen!

What a bizarre sprint. Boonen really earned that win. Zabel? What was he thinking? Robbie? Still hurting methinks because I tend to agree with Phil that this was tailor made for him.

Wiggins? The lad's made a name for himself. If you weren't hoping the peleton would stuff it up and he'd make it home, you're not a romantic :wink:

Great stage. Biggest buzz since I discovered vodka :D

And we're into the Alps tomorrow. Man I love this race :D

Richard
very tired, but very happy ... and that's good enough for me :D

pssst in the presentations, does anyone else check out the dolly birds before cheering the winner? :oops:

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:00 am

So, how much will be Wiggins be looking forward to tomorrow's Alpine stage now then? Fantastic performance by him but the peloton really hung him out to dry towards the end there, once they got safely within a few minutes they just held back conserving their energy for the finish and let him suffer by himself for even longer. Cycling is a cruel sport... :twisted:

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:54 am

I guess he'll join the sprinter's group of 'survivors'.

Alps tonight. I'm excited :D

Richard

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:00 am

How was the guy from Predictor adjusting his bars @40+kph :shock:

These guys never cease to amaze.

I think your right about Robbie. He had plenty of opportunities to make a break last night but failed to do so.

Should be good tonight. Hope I can stay awake.

Kev.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Hotdog wrote:All these ads for the Tour Down Under and Breakaway series are gradually brainwashing me into thinking I want to take a holiday in South Australia in January and cycle around (lying down with a cool beer attached to my bike, naturally) :shock:
You are getting the good ads. We keep seeing ones for "erectile dysfunctyion" :shock: They are certainly getting on my nerves as this type of advertising says 2 things to me: bikes are for boys :evil: and bike riding gives a boy "erectile dysfunction" though others on this forum know more about this than I do :oops: :D

What I'd do for a ad for the TDU!!

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:59 pm

Oh, I was being subjected to dozens of those bloody ads too, but there were also a decent number of relevant ads such as the TDU and Avanti ones.

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:20 pm

moosterbounce wrote:You are getting the good ads. We keep seeing ones for "erectile dysfunctyion" :shock: They are certainly getting on my nerves
We're getting that one too. I'm tempted to put in a complaint to the advertising control wallies, just to get the thing banned and off my television (but I guess I'd have to lie about my reasons :roll: )

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:52 pm

moosterbounce wrote:You are getting the good ads. We keep seeing ones for "erectile dysfunctyion" :shock: They are certainly getting on my nerves as this type of advertising says 2 things to me: bikes are for boys :evil: and bike riding gives a boy "erectile dysfunction" though others on this forum know more about this than I do :oops: :D
As exciting as TDF is, I'm yet to associate it with the above or any other variant of the above.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:08 pm

Kev365428 wrote:How was the guy from Predictor adjusting his bars @40+kph :shock:

These guys never cease to amaze.
I saw that, it was impressively crazy :D It reminded me of that photo of a mechanic hanging out of a moving team car in order to work on the rear derailluer of one of his riders. Someone on the board must know the photo I mean and be able to find a link... There was also that guy a day or two ago who was stretching his quads by unclipping one foot and hooking it over the back of his saddle. Phil Liggett is in danger of wearing out the phrase "don't try this at home" before the Tour is out :roll:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:57 pm

Kev365428 wrote:How was the guy from Predictor adjusting his bars @40+kph :shock:
Funny you should mention this, I've done exactly this on a group training ride. I got the multi tool out of my back pocket and started tightening the handlebars up while on the move.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

McPete

Postby McPete » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:25 pm

Hang on, Hang on... Degano DID finish, 25 minutes after the leader, and he's not on the withdrawals page. He must still be in it.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:26 pm

Hotdog wrote:There was also that guy a day or two ago who was stretching his quads by unclipping one foot and hooking it over the back of his saddle.
I've done a quad stretch by holding my ankle (unclipped of course!!), but I don't think I could put my foot over my seat. I'd need to be some kinda freak to do that...or just a very fit and flexible pro bike rider :wink:

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:22 pm

McPete wrote:Hang on, Hang on... Degano DID finish, 25 minutes after the leader, and he's not on the withdrawals page. He must still be in it.
If you're referring to the bloke who was nursed home, he arrived outside the time limit, but the referees decided to allow him to race. However, he was too badly injured to start the next day.

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:49 pm

europa wrote:
McPete wrote:Hang on, Hang on... Degano DID finish, 25 minutes after the leader, and he's not on the withdrawals page. He must still be in it.
If you're referring to the bloke who was nursed home, he arrived outside the time limit, but the referees decided to allow him to race. However, he was too badly injured to start the next day.

Richard
Oops, that was the bloke from the day before :oops:

Degano made it to the end, started stage 7 but had to abandon after the first climb :(

Richard