Rate Perth 'hills'

Ant.

Re: Rate Perth 'hills'

Postby Ant. » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:59 pm

craigg wrote:Has anyone done the Haddrill Rd / Campersic loop in Baskerville? I drove it Sunday to scout it out and it looks like some quality pain.

Craig
Hi Craig, it's pain, and it's quality (as oppose to Mount street which is over before it starts).

I used to live in Brig-a-DOOM (a suburb that Campersic traverses).
Hope this helps (Up Haddrill, continue onto Weir, then Left onto Boulonais then left down Campersic).

The Haddrill Rd climb.
Average Grade = 10.7%
Maximum Grade = 17% (At the top!)
Height Gain = 187m

Figure 1 gives a comparison with another little test piece in Roleystone, I will leave any analysis to the reader. (Max grade on Turner is 14% at the top)

Figure 1: Comparison with another similar torture test in Roleystone (Turner Rd).

Figure 2: The circuit of doom.

Haddrill Rd climb ends around 2.5km. Another 18% climb follows shortly after for a 35m elevation gain at 3.1km and a last brute (17%) for a 65m elevation gain at 5.5km.

Good fun.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:22 pm

"Kangaroo Hill" Creswell Road, Yokine/Dianella adjacent to Yokine Golf course, pr*** of a hill

schmidty

Postby schmidty » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:32 pm

On my days off work I head up brookton highway from albany highway and turn right into croyen road, roleystone. I then turn right again into heritage drive and ride up to Araluen, max grade is around 16 to 17 percent and the scenery is great. I will usually roll back down and then complete the loop by riding across the top of the hills via brookton hwy and canning road, descending either via welshpool road, kalamunda road or the zig-zag.

mapmyride.com has an option to view the elevation profile of a route you map out, I use it to plan my rides all the time. Although I sometime end up swearing at myself a lot for planning a ride that may have been a bit too ambitious.
2010 Eddy Merckx EMX-3
2010 Giant Anthem X3
2008 Oppy Lyon
2004 Cervelo P2K
1978 Peugeot UE-8

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:22 am

roller wrote:
Chaderotti wrote:Anyone know that small (about 100 or 200 metre long) hill around Bedford? Across the road from Chisholm college? I rolled up to it at about 30 km/h and gave it all I got, half way up I dropped down to about 26 km/h, by the top I was at about 20.
i live right near there and have no idea which hill you mean, which street?
Good question.... No idea what the street name is. (if coming down the hill) theres a crosswalk to the right, about 2 metres right from exiting the road onto the main road. The crosswalk is visible because of the Where's Wally poles at each end. Coming down the hill, in plain view is the side of the school gym. I think. Sorry about my horrible description :oops:
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Chaderotti wrote:Good question.... No idea what the street name is. (if coming down the hill) theres a crosswalk to the right, about 2 metres right from exiting the road onto the main road. The crosswalk is visible because of the Where's Wally poles at each end. Coming down the hill, in plain view is the side of the school gym.
Must be Lawrence Street exiting onto Beaufort St / Broun Ave in a SE direction.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:39 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
Chaderotti wrote:Good question.... No idea what the street name is. (if coming down the hill) theres a crosswalk to the right, about 2 metres right from exiting the road onto the main road. The crosswalk is visible because of the Where's Wally poles at each end. Coming down the hill, in plain view is the side of the school gym.
I should know seeing as I bloody go there everyday :P
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Another quick pumper - Lenori Rd Gooseberry Hill. 19% around there.

From Garmin training center:

Location.

Contours.

Grade, Heartrate etc...
Axles A Randonee O Noodle.

"Doc, just tell me straight ... am I going to die?"

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:05 pm

roysm wrote:Anyone tried Paterson rd ?, back of Kelmscott, Now thats tough, especially after riding 90ks up and down the scarp and then you run in to that. You got to see it to believe it.
I've worked out that Paterson Rd is 17.6% average gradient over 346 metres of travel ie. 61 vertical metres of climbing..... I cramped up in the L leg just after this hill last Sunday after riding about 125kms beforehand with about 2500m of climbing.....but then, I'd also completed a 350km flatish ride the day before. :roll:

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:56 pm

I think I've mentioned this before, but Kawina Road in Bickley.

Here's Google Earth view

Street View looking up from the junction with Hill St.

You can gauge the steepness by looking at the angle the tree is growing compared to the kerb.

If you want to try yourself out, ride up Gooseberry Hill Road, down Mundaring Weir Road then do a right turn onto Aldersyde, up Lawnbrooke, then turn right onto Heidelberg, up Hill Street, then up Kawina. Even with the 200W motor, I've not been able to make it up Kawina without stopping at least twice.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Joeblake wrote:If you want to try yourself out, ride up Gooseberry Hill Road, down Mundaring Weir Road then do a right turn onto Aldersyde, up Lawnbrooke, then turn right onto Heidelberg, up Hill Street, then up Kawina. Even with the 200W motor, I've not been able to make it up Kawina without stopping at least twice.
Sounds like a challenge! You are on! I just need some nice weather and some time and I am there :D
<removed by request>

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:30 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Joeblake wrote:If you want to try yourself out, ride up Gooseberry Hill Road, down Mundaring Weir Road then do a right turn onto Aldersyde, up Lawnbrooke, then turn right onto Heidelberg, up Hill Street, then up Kawina. Even with the 200W motor, I've not been able to make it up Kawina without stopping at least twice.
Sounds like a challenge! You are on! I just need some nice weather and some time and I am there :D

I don't mean against me. I've already admitted defeat. :wink:

I ain't gonna ride down Gooseberry Hill Road just so I can ride back up it again. (I'm not the Grand Old Duke of York.)

:lol: :lol:

But let me know when you are coming up and I'll see if I can meet you somewhere. (Like the top of Kawina Road.)

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Joeblake wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Sounds like a challenge! You are on! I just need some nice weather and some time and I am there :D
I don't mean against me.
Me either. It's just me v's the hill baby!

P.S. Is it cheating if I bring a bike with a granny gear? I would like to see if I can get all the way to the top without using the granniest gear. Will prolly start out in granny tho :oops:
<removed by request>

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:10 pm

I don't consider using 200 Watts of electric assist a cheat, so I couldn't consider granny gearing cheating.

:lol: :lol:

Joe
Bertrand Russell

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Joe, were you & a riding partner out on Mundaring Weir road late this morning heading towards Mundaring by chance??

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:13 pm

Not I. I don't normally get out of bed until about 8.30 at this time of the year. I tend to ride AFTER work.

:lol:

Joe
Bertrand Russell

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:16 pm

Mills Rd East in Martin is a real widow maker going down (slight exaggeration) and it will push you to the depths of hell going up (no exaggeration - for me at least).
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

roller

Postby roller » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:30 pm

cavebear2 wrote:

cool, i'll go find it.
inflammatory statement or idea

Le Toad

Postby Le Toad » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Ant. wrote:
craigg wrote:Has anyone done the Haddrill Rd / Campersic loop in Baskerville? I drove it Sunday to scout it out and it looks like some quality pain.

Craig
Hi Craig, it's pain, and it's quality (as oppose to Mount street which is over before it starts).

I used to live in Brig-a-DOOM (a suburb that Campersic traverses).
Hope this helps (Up Haddrill, continue onto Weir, then Left onto Boulonais then left down Campersic).

The Haddrill Rd climb.
Average Grade = 10.7%
Maximum Grade = 17% (At the top!)
Height Gain = 187m

Figure 1 gives a comparison with another little test piece in Roleystone, I will leave any analysis to the reader. (Max grade on Turner is 14% at the top)

Figure 1: Comparison with another similar torture test in Roleystone (Turner Rd).

Figure 2: The circuit of doom.

Haddrill Rd climb ends around 2.5km. Another 18% climb follows shortly after for a 35m elevation gain at 3.1km and a last brute (17%) for a 65m elevation gain at 5.5km.

Good fun.
Hi Ant,

I didn't know that you could get through from Hadrill Rd to Brigadoon until I saw your post. I sometimes ride up Campersic and do a loop around the back of "Brig-a-DOOM" when I feel the need for a hill climb. Rode your circuit on Thursday as part of a 60k ride. I thought Campersic was steep but Haddrill Rd...............damn !! It had me wishing I had a Granny gear half way up. I can definately vouch for your statement "it's pain, and it's quality". :x

Another ride I frequent is up Kalamunda Rd and down the Zig Zag. The Zig Zag is a relatively gentle decent but it's a good length 5km (ish) then turn right (North) down Ridge Hill Rd. Rolling down here I passed the speed limit sign (50ks) then looked at my speedo, 60ks. Lucky the police weren't around ! :wink:

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:28 pm

I know it is a bit off track but there a few good ones in Albany and its surrounds for example:

1. Coombes Road (out near Torbay Hill) - 13% grade over about 1km;
2. Jefferies St/Sherratt St (on north side of Mt Melville) - 22% over 450m.
3. Melville Street on the south side of mt melville is also a good one but longer with about an av. 10% over a 1km
4. Hay St (on north side of Mount Clarence) 9% over about 1/2km.

i worked these out from maps but remembered the streets and hills from when lived in region as a kid. Also had to run up and down alot of them for cross country running. Have a look on google maps street view as Sherrat st is a cracker :wink: :shock:
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

craigg

Postby craigg » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Finally managed to get out and ride Haddrill Rd loop on Sunday. As others mentioned, its pretty nasty! Descending down Campersic was fun. I've been watching TDF mountain descents and wanted to try out their position hunched on the top tube between the seat and handlebars (ie butt forward of the seat and perched about 1cm over the top tube once you're going too fast to pedal). Got 78km/h :)

A full speed descent on Haddrill would be pretty scary - May not even be possible as you'd likely be carrying too much speed into the corners.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:36 am

giwi2 wrote:I know it is a bit off track but...
The family went picnicing around Serpentine way. The ascent from the pipehead dam to the main road looked like 2.5km of "fun". (edit: google maps suggests the first 600m climbs 60m of about 150m overall)

A further thought at the time was that pipehead dam to main dam would make an interesting, if short, ITT stage.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Thu May 26, 2011 11:20 am

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Strava has a Climb Search & you can compare your speed up them to everyone else & track if your improving.

==> http://app.strava.com/segments/search?u ... at=%3E%3D1

Cheers Rob.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:57 pm

yeh but that will just depress me if comparing to others :oops: :oops:
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Redbull wrote:Gooseberry Hill Road

It can make grown men cry.
I like that climb...