How do I get from Crafers to Strathalbyn

fitnhealthy

How do I get from Crafers to Strathalbyn

Postby fitnhealthy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi All

I have just made a crazy decision to ride to my brothers place on Saturday from Adelaide as he is coming to Adelaide Sunday so can bring me home, but I was wondering what is the quickest or safest way to get there? I know it could take me up to 6 hrs as I am slow, but I have ridden from Crafers - Victor in the Coast to Coast and that was 100 km's and only took 6 hrs.

It is easy to get to Crafers up the old freeway, but where do I go after that? Has anyone done this ride and do you have any advice for me or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Kristy

Dahondude

Re: How do I get from Crafers to Strathalbyn

Postby Dahondude » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:41 am

easy peasy

from Crafers ride into Stirling and down the main road to Aldgate (all down hill). AS you leave Aldgate (and opposite the CFA) turn right into Aldgate Valley Rd (a beatiful ride) and follow down to Mylor (turn left at the first T junction, then right at the second which will take you into Mylor).Continue on through Mylor on the Aldgate-Strathalbyn Rd and follow all the way to Echunga. In Echunga take the B33 (Aldgate-Strathalbyn Rd) to Macclesfield and straight through MAcclesfield all the way down to Strathalbyn. Its only 56km from the centre of Adelaide to the centre of Strathalbyn and really only one climb (up to Crafers). So even at an average of 20km/h it should only take 3 hrs or so

have fun
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 am

sorry, just realised you are starting at Crafers, so its only 40km to Strath from there!
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:49 am

he is spot on...beautiful ride down from aldgate/mylor to strath. might be a bit busy with tin tops on a sat though.

fitnhealthy

Postby fitnhealthy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:18 am

Thank you Dahondude, I am actually starting from Adelaide, but I know how to get to Crafers, just didn't know the rest.

Thanks heaps, I will print out and follow and let you know how I go. I'm very excited and if this ride goes well, then the options are endless. Next I'll try riding to Murray Bridge, but that is a whole other topic lol

I like that you mention it is mostly downhill after the big Crafers climb, which is great news!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:35 am

Oh well then, if you want another hill.... head from Mylor to Meadows, climb out of Meadows on the Ashbourne Valley rd (signposted to Victor and Goolwa) and turn left at Ashbourne - up and over the nasty hill and a fast descent into the back of Strathalbyn...

it's all good

fitnhealthy

Postby fitnhealthy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:52 am

Umm thanks rustychisel, but maybe for the first ride I'll skip the second hill if that is ok. Maybe I can add that on the next ride, which I know there will be another if it all goes well. Especially if I can get my speed up.

What sort of time would you guys get to Strathalbyn in from Adelaide? Just wondering what I can be aiming for speedwise in the future...

grommet

Postby grommet » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:06 pm

"turn right into Aldgate Valley Rd (a beatiful ride) and follow down to Mylor"

now there's a nice ride, one of my favourites ...

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Just on this ride guys. Coming back the other way which is the easier ride. The Aldgate Vally Rd. ie Turn off after Mylor. or continue straight on and follow the Stratd Aldgate Rd, and come into Aldgate via the Aldgate Pump Hotel. I rode the later last week as I didn't want to get lost on the back roads of Aldgate,
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Dahondude wrote:from Crafers ride into Stirling and down the main road to Aldgate (all down hill). AS you leave Aldgate (and opposite the CFA) turn right into Aldgate Valley Rd (a beatiful ride) and follow down to Mylor (turn left at the first T junction, then right at the second which will take you into Mylor).Continue on through Mylor on the Aldgate-Strathalbyn Rd and follow all the way to Echunga. In Echunga take the B33 (Aldgate-Strathalbyn Rd) to Macclesfield and straight through MAcclesfield all the way down to Strathalbyn. Its only 56km from the centre of Adelaide to the centre of Strathalbyn and really only one climb (up to Crafers). So even at an average of 20km/h it should only take 3 hrs or so
If I'm not mistaken, you've just described the Angus River scenic drive (route B33). You can follow the brown signs which makes it very easy not to get lost.

fitnhealthy

Postby fitnhealthy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks everyone for you help. I had a really nice ride, but it took more like 5 hrs instead of 3 LOL... Took my almost 2 hrs from my house to the top of Crafers as I'm not very fit just yet, but yes there was a lot of downhill which was really nice.

If your interested I took a few photos and just wrote a report here... http://smiley-gal.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... lmost.html

After the ride yesterday I would love to do it again when it isn't quite as cold and wet. Also I want to ride up to Crafers a lot more to get quicker and fitter...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Fantastic report and what a great ride.
Many thoughts went through my mind during this ride, it was too cold, why am I doing this again,what a huge hill climb, if I got a puncture my brother can pick me up, I'm not fixing it, but through all the bad thoughts there were more positive thoughts and no matter how cold or tired I felt I knew I was going to finish it as I always finish things I start no matter how long it takes.
I went for a 200km ride yesterday with 'hills' but nothing like your effort. I though the same thing at one point when a sudden heavy downpour filled up my shoes :shock: But I kept going knowing the sun would come out again. Even though our 'hills' were not too steep, they sure felt long. I kept thinking to each hill "you will end". Then the sun came out again and going downhill and through lovely farmland with the sun shining made it all worthwhile.

I know that hill climb took it out of you but how good did it feel to finish?
<removed by request>

fitnhealthy

Postby fitnhealthy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks casual_cyclist, 200 kms is a fantastic ride, wow one day I will work up to that.

It felt fantastic to finish especially with the sun shining at the end. Also knowing that I don't know too many or any people in my circle of friends and family that crazy made it feel even better. I can't wait to try riding to Murray Bridge next although a little concerned there may be more hills in that ride!

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Top effort fitnhealthy, your ride encompassed the very essence of bike riding....sometimes it rains, sometime you are cold, sometimes it hurts, sometimes you just want it to end, but in the end you are glad you did it and you saw, smelled and felt things only a cyclist could! In a couple of weeks you will only remember the good bits and will be busting to do it all again.

2hrs to the top of Crafers....I better not tell you that the record is 17 minutes! Oh well, something to aim for :D

If you are seriously thinking about riding to Murray Bridge take a look at www.bikely.com for routes
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Trev Campbell wrote:Just on this ride guys. Coming back the other way which is the easier ride. The Aldgate Vally Rd. ie Turn off after Mylor. or continue straight on and follow the Stratd Aldgate Rd, and come into Aldgate via the Aldgate Pump Hotel. I rode the later last week as I didn't want to get lost on the back roads of Aldgate,
Its a brilliant climb from Mylor to Aldgate. I would NEVER ride up the main road (except when the Tour Down Under was on and the road was closed to traffic). Aldgate Valley Rd has to be one of my favourite stretches of road in Adelaide, and its better going up it than down. And you definitley can't get lost. Just turn left at the Mylor School, then first right and enjoy yourself all the way to Aldgate :D
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

fitnhealthy

Postby fitnhealthy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Wow 17 mins is quick. I have a bit of work to do lol... Maybe without the panniers I'll go quicker, being lighter and all!

I'll have to give Crafers another go!

Thanks for every ones help