Cycling in New Zealand

chris641

Cycling in New Zealand

Postby chris641 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:14 pm

I'm going to New Zealand for 5 weeks in December/January.. can anyone suggest good places to ride?? Hit me with some big ass mountains :)
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:37 pm

The south island is the place to cycle. The traffic is a lot less, there is better scenery (the north island is not half bad either) and there are more hills to enjoy.

As for routes, Hmmm. Perhaps fly in to Christchurch, catch the Tranz Alpine railway to Greymouth, and commence your tour down the west coast via glacier country. There is basically only one road down the west coast, going via Haast Pass, Wanaka, and stop in Queenstown for a couple of days.
Then you could head across farming country to Dunedin and head up the east coast before turning inland and following a river valley (can't remember its name) where you end up near Mt Cook. From there you could ride back to Christchurch where if you have a few days spare you could do a tour of the nearby Banks Peninsular.

This is only a basic suggestion, but one I did in a car last year.

Wherever you go it will be well worth it so arm yourself with some maps and a Lonely Planet guide and have fun planning.

Just a reminder that it will be peak season when you are going over, so it may be better to book some accommodation in advance at places like Queenstown.

chris641

Postby chris641 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:41 am

Cheers!

In reference to accommodation I have relatives and friends who live in various parts eg. Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland so I should be ok for most of it.

Very much looking forward to riding in another country!

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:00 pm

the west coast of the south island is fantastic scenery (make sure you stop off at the glaciers) but it can get very windy.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:53 pm

Are you touring or riding from a base and driving in between?.
NZ roads give you a good work out as they are as heavy as hell!.
As there aren't that many main roads in NZ,especailly in the South Island they could be quite busy at that time of year.(Busy for NZ that is!).
Waikato has small roads going everywhere with some nice hills.Hamilton to Mt Manganui is a good ride with a good climb over the Kaimai's.Make sure you have the wind at your back thou.
Turangi to the top of the Road at Ruapehu is also a nice ride with lots of climbing.
Round Lake Taupo is a nice 100 mile ride with a few bumps.
It is good everywhere...but I still think the best parts are found with hiking boots on!...some of the best walking routes in the world.Make sure you do Tongariro Crossing if you can...personally the most amazing walk in NZ.

chris641

Postby chris641 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:26 pm

Cheers TLL.. i'll definitely have a crack around Lake Taupo. Very much appreciate the advice you've given me many good options! I'm riding from a base in Auckland. But i also have stints in Wellington and Napier.

Patto21

Postby Patto21 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:06 am

Hey Chris
Just did the lake taupo challenge and you will love it. The ride is fantastic going anti clockwise is the direction the race takes.
I did it in 5.45 but if you do 100 as quick as your sig says then you will smash it.
Watch out for Hatape Hill. About 130km in and a world of pain but then a great descent.
Let me know what you think.
IMHO the best event in either Aust and NZ is the Challenge.... and i'm not a kiwi...

pooja84

Re: Cycling in New Zealand

Postby pooja84 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:10 pm

You may get a good idea by reading this - dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/where-to-ride-in-new-zealand.html

trin67

Postby trin67 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:31 pm

if you head up the coast from christchurch, go through the wineries in renwick, and then make your way west across to the west coast- magnificent drive through some nice mountains before heading down towards the glaciers.

down into milford is the ultimate challenge - just watch for the potholes in the homer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Wed May 27, 2009 11:41 pm

trin67 wrote: down into milford is the ultimate challenge - just watch for the potholes in the homer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...and the tour buses, and the loopies who forget which side of the road they are supposed to be on, and the tour buses, and people in a hurry who overtake on blind corners, and the tour buses....

:)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu May 28, 2009 12:34 am

BandedRail wrote:
trin67 wrote: down into milford is the ultimate challenge - just watch for the potholes in the homer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...and the tour buses, and the loopies who forget which side of the road they are supposed to be on, and the tour buses, and people in a hurry who overtake on blind corners, and the tour buses....

:)
...and the dark wet tunnel...don't worry...OP took this trip months ago :roll:

kiwirobbie

Postby kiwirobbie » Thu May 28, 2009 9:45 pm

If you tour the south island better to do it Clockwise the prevailing winds will help a little, east coast E to NE west coast W to SW not always so but pretty typical. If you go into Milford Sound [well worth a look] from Queenstown take the boat across the lake to Walter Peak Station then ride thru to Marvora Lakes then on to Te Anua. You will be in NZ at peak holiday season so will be lots more traffic on our narrow roads. Don't forget wet weather gear and some warm clothes!!!!!! If in the North Island a trip round East Cape well worth doing. Hope it all goes well. rob 8)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:51 am

G'day

Since this thread has been dug up from the dead, I would suggest the K2 (192 km and 2300 metres of climb) is a far more serious day ride (race) than the Taupo Challenge. I am "thinking" of riding the route in November if I get over to visit mum.

Edit: Go here and scroll down for a video of the 2008 race.

Regards
Andrew

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:50 am

Aushiker wrote:G'day

Since this thread has been dug up from the dead, I would suggest the K2 (192 km and 2300 metres of climb) is a far more serious day ride (race) than the Taupo Challenge. I am "thinking" of riding the route in November if I get over to visit mum.

Edit: Go here and scroll down for a video of the 2008 race.

Regards
Andrew
If you think one lap of Taupo is too easy you could do the Enduro (320 km) and the Maxi Enduro (this year 640 km).2 or 4 laps.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:21 pm

The Round Taupo is tons of fun. Well, except for when it's pouring & a gale force wind a blowin. Oh yea, you gotta love the fake TUI signs on the Waihahahahahah hill 8) . The Hatepe hill :shock:

When we did it, the weather was great! I felt sorry for the souls that had a crash in the first 1km..

Would love to do it again but would rather do the Colville Connection MTB event or go mtn bikin in Rotovegas 8)

shaneinfrance

Postby shaneinfrance » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Riding NZ you need to consider safety. Roads are third world is some placed, narrow and windy and no shoulders. Motorists are not courteous and will attempt to pass on narrow roads. (bully mentality). Couple European riders were killed in Tauranga - Bay of plenty recently by Trucks. GO SOUTH ISLAND!!

South island is safer, locals a lot friendlier in south than North, All roads around Queenstown is great. MTB in Queenstown is very cool. As for the north island, Around Taupo, Taupo to Tauranga is ok.