Opinions please.....

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:04 am

Any bike gets destroyed when hit by a car though. It's not like that's a special feature of carbon fibre composites.

It is easily scratched.

It's plastic, so it doesn't hurt it at all to get wet.

As a material to ride on, it feels nicer than Aluminium.

90% of how good it is comes from frame design, same as any other material.

thm

Postby thm » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:35 am

Bnej wrote:
It's plastic, so it doesn't hurt it at all to get wet.
But doesn't it depreciate in value once rain hits it? Just like any car.

It's a well documented fact that once you drive in the rain, your car loses most of its value. :twisted:

Its just like saying your car has never been in an accident. You could easily boast that your car has never been in rain.

Discuss.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:37 am

You're all missing the most important point - Steel is Real :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:49 am

There's a lot of variance in the quality of CF frames, some are simply sections glued together and others have a one piece construction. Most are CF wrapped around alimumin, which makes sense, as each material has its pros and cons, so perhaps combining gives you the features of each.

Is there any significant difference in the type of plastic being used?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:10 am

mikesbytes wrote:Is there any significant difference in the type of plastic being used?
There's a lot of talk these days on the type of fibre being used in the CF fabric. Some of the newer and stronger fibres are allowing these sub-1kg frames to be light as well as stiff. I haven't heard too much of different types of resin though. So yes, there are differences in the "plastic" out there.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 pm

:lol: ok I'm sure their are positives and negs for all types of frames.
Maybe a bit of both is the compramise.
Amusing but lets keep this on the right course.

When I go over the posts no one really has said top bike or good choice but go for the bike which looks at you and says hello Daddy :lol: regardless of the running gear or frame.

I couldn't be bothered testing bike after bike, one I wouldn't know/feel much diff and the time to spare.
I think I'll just pick which looks horn to me and enter the bike world with eyes wide open :wink:

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Bluerider wrote:I think I'll just pick which looks horn to me and enter the bike world with eyes wide open :wink:
Yep, as long as you have your credit card backing you, you can go with whatever your heart desires. Once you are above a certain price point, you won't get a bad bike.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Things to consider while looking:

Shimano gear goes Sora < Tiagra < 105 < Ultrega < Dura-ace. So if a bike has Ultrega written on some of it's gear, it's better running gear than 105 and so on.

Some road frames are more race oriented, some are more relaxed. The Giant OCR range is relaxed, the TCR is not. The Trek Pilot is relaxed, while the Trek 1000, 1200, 1500, 5000, Madone etc are race bikes. I don't know what sort of bike you're after, but you can have a good candidate from either type for the money.

Some road bikes will have a compact crankset, where you have a double chainring with the lower gear a significant jump under the larger one. This is handy for hills, almost as much as a triple chainring.

The frame of the bike you buy will outlast the parts that come on it. I have a OCR C3 which is a good CF frame, but with only Tiagra gear. After I get a few road miles and start breaking parts, it can be upgraded, and it's not like Tiagra is actually bad, it's just not as good.

Don't forget to budget for:

Shoes
Bike Shorts
Jersey(s)
Arm & Leg warmers if required (it's cold)
Windproof vest if required
Saddle bag
Multitool
Tyre levers
Floor & Hand Pump
Spare tube
Patch kit

All stuff you can buy progressively, but the further you ride the more essential that stuff becomes. You don't want to be 40 km from home with a flat tyre or a minor mechanical problem and no way to fix it.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Bluerider wrote: I couldn't be bothered testing bike after bike, one I wouldn't know/feel much diff and the time to spare.
I think I'll just pick which looks horn to me and enter the bike world with eyes wide open :wink:
You are asking for trouble. When you do a lot of shopping around, three things happen.

First, you get to know all the different types of bikes and are less likely to fall for the wrong one - this is the MINOR advantage of shopping around.

Second, even though you don't know much about road bikes, you'll be amazed at how quickly you develop a feel for fit and shape and preferences. Much of it is personal anyway and your bum on lots of seats will soon trigger your own preferences - this is more important than the first and IMHO, very important.

Thirdly, listening to a lot of sales staff give you the mushroom treatment is boring and a pain in the tail regions. You will become confused very quickly. However, you will suddenly reach a point where you've heard enough good advice and enough bulldust to be able to tell the difference, and this doesn't actually take very long. You will get the best service (and for a bike of this level, service is very important) and best advice from a shop you trust. You will learn to trust that shop by knowing they aren't feeding you a line and by recognising when they are - they all bluster a little, if only to hide the gaps in their own knowledge. This is the MOST important reason for doing a lot of shopping. The shop I buy the vast majority of my accessories from has yet to sell me a bike, for the sole reason that they've never had the bike I need on the floor ... and were happy to admit it.

Despite what people have said, it is easy to buy the wrong bike, the wrong sized bike or from the wrong shop - this can vary from a mild annoyance through to a disaster requiring yet another new bike to correct. Buying from someone who understands YOU (not the racing cliche) and understands where you differ from the racing cliche (which is all a lot of shops sell to) will help them and you choose the right bike. The market is so varied that you will find a variety of bikes that will suit you which is where the 'buy the bike you love' rule comes into play. The level of service you get from any shop is directly related to the relationship you have with that shop - they are only people after all. The shopping around game helps build that relationship and believe me, there is nothing worse than buying your new pride and joy and then finding the shop couldn't give a stuff about you any more.

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:41 pm

europa wrote:
Bluerider wrote: I couldn't be bothered testing bike after bike, one I wouldn't know/feel much diff and the time to spare.
Lots, :roll: and very well :wink:

Richard
Amen

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:00 pm

Thanks very much benj good help, definately am going for a compact crank ? Have factored in my costs for the additional extras....it doesn't stop lol...$$$$$$

europa again thanks and I hear ya.
I suppose my previous post I was frustrated for at the time I was in a spin again trying to figure out what/which way to go...I'm being to impatient but after today am settling down.
I have visited 6 -8 shops the last 6 days and have expected to find the "right" bike straight off but there are too many choices lol and learning it just doesn't happen by a click of the fingers.
Your right about getting confidence with a shop and in the Rat race of Sydney only 2 have assisted me without arrogance (<one insisting test rides which I will now take up).
Ah all good fun...

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Bluerider wrote:Ah all good fun...
It actually does become good fun and that is another sign that you're getting close. As for being frustrated with bike shops, go right ahead, we all are.

Richard

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:29 am

Seeing a pattern with bike shops I have visited.....
2 shops owners are ex competitive riders, been there done it etc
Found it really frustrating I didn't buy a bike straight away and wouldn't move off the Retail price but offered little discount with the extras.
They were arrogant and damned if they were going to get my hard earned. As I said earlier word of mouth is the cheapest marketing a business can get and they certainly won't be recommended by me.

Then others work off their cost which obviously upset the guys above but make it very attractive to the buyer.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:05 am

Bluerider wrote:2 shops owners are ex competitive riders, been there done it etc
Found it really frustrating I didn't buy a bike straight away and wouldn't move off the Retail price but offered little discount with the extras.
They were arrogant and damned if they were going to get my hard earned.
Interesting you say this...my favourite store is owned/run by a racer (he's won overseas too) and he doesn't want me to buy anything!! When buying shoes, he made me sit and try every brand and model - regardless of price - to find the ones that were most comfortable. Then there was a choice to make. I found this approach really great - I may spend more than planned if I choose (though I didn't in this case) but I get something that is perfect, won't cause me grief, and I won't want to replace for years, therefore being cheaper in the long run.

I think it is just a store/person thing. I'm finding in stores generally in WA, because we have such a low unemployment rate and every store is looking for staff, some staff are downright rude. They seem to know that if they are questioned or a complaint is made that they will either not get sacked as no more staff can be found, or if they do they can get another job easily. I haven't found this in bike stores yet though and hope it doesn't filter through.

You'll find your match soon - stay positive!! :D

europa

Postby europa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:30 am

The scariest shop I've been into is owned by an ex world champ :shock: It just reeks of exclusivity and top end riding ... and it was the first shop that stopped and listened and tried to find answers in my search for the bike that eventually ended with the Black Beast. Interestingly, the shop that finally found me the Black Beast is a bit the same - run by racers and certainly orientated towards that part of the market, yet again, they listened and found solutions. My favourite lbs, because again, they listen and understand, is more your typical shop, staffed by a range of ages but you deal mainly with the young bloke, range limited in that they have a bit of everything and no room to do all segments properly ... with bikes. Parts and accessories are done very wel.

Then we get to the shops that really pith me off who are unlikely to see any of my money :?

It's all down to the people and like a good book, the only way to find out is to dive in and have a yarn with them.

I think the answer lies in their passion for cycling - is this a job that pays for bits for their own bikes or are they passionate about cycling and want to help the customer. Just like any form of retail really, a bit like the lass at the checkout who asks about your day and what's happening because she likes people vs the checkout chick who asks because they told her to in the training session.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:37 am

europa wrote:The scariest shop I've been into is owned by an ex world champ :shock: It just reeks of exclusivity and top end riding ... and it was the first shop that stopped and listened and tried to find answers

Richard
If Richard is talking about Revolution, then I highly agree.

Did my bike fit there recently and it took almost 2 hours and my numeropus Q's were al answered without any drama. Tried lots of shoes as well, and even when some fitted well but were "too blingy" for me, it wasn't a problem.
Discussed the issue of internet stores making it hard for them re pricing, and they didn't have an issue with that either, but they'll keep getting some of my money for their attitude, range and quality.

They have some great bikes there, and once I reach 10,000km, it's the first place I'll look.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:52 am

MichaelB wrote:
europa wrote:The scariest shop I've been into is owned by an ex world champ :shock: It just reeks of exclusivity and top end riding ... and it was the first shop that stopped and listened and tried to find answers

Richard
If Richard is talking about Revolution, then I highly agree.
Revolution is the second shop I refer to. The scariest one makes them look like Standish :shock:

Richard

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:34 pm

Well just an update.....
I tested a few bikes over the weekend and took the plunge !
Firstly I wouldn't have been able to make it without some good advice here and importantly I found the shop I felt loved lol.....
I want to thank the owner Dave Whitbread of Cycleworld in Burwood here in Sydney.
Cool calm and nothing was out of his way to help ME make my decision.
I tested alloy framed bikes which felt great being a novice but once I tried a full carbon well that was me ! and the bike Felt Right !!
Importantly the timing with specials on with the Tour I ended up buying a FELT F5 YAY......
Thanks Dave I thought she would have been over my budget but you crunched the numbers better than I expected.
What a weapon and I can't wait to pick her up end of the week.

Again thanks guys.....
Last edited by Bluerider on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:22 pm

Congratulations! Cycleworld of Burwood is a good store with some neat stuff. Good choice.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 pm

Good one Bluerider, that's the way 8)

Don't be forgettin the "optional" extras now.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa

Postby europa » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 pm

A Felt carbon bike. You barsteward :D

Well done mate. My your bottom become overly accustomed to the shape of the saddle :D

Piccies please. Oh, hang on, you're within the ten post limit. Give a yell when you've got some piccies of the beast and I'll post them for you (because, as we all know, it didn't happen if there aren't piccies :roll: )

Richard

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:50 pm

Bluerider wrote:Well just an update.....

I tested alloy framed bikes which felt great being a novice but once I tried a full carbon well that was me !
Uhoh ! All you people are evil ! tempting me with your convincing words and guile.

*resolves to only go to kmart and check out the $100 bikes from now on*

Congrats on the purchase, she is a beauty! Perhaps a change of name is in order :)

Bluerider

Postby Bluerider » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks fellas, I'm veryvery happy and I can't wait to bring her home.
sogood it confirms my feelings about the Burwood store thanks.
In the future I'd like to ride past the stores who treated me like a waste of time and show I ended up spending more than I expected.
Too right europa hope my butt likes the saddle lol...
Thanks for the offer posting pics I took a couple with the mobile whilst at the store, will download tomorrow and pass on.
Mulger bill the extras, cheesh picked them out also, man it's like shopping in the candy store lol.....
I can't believe the bling bling for drink bottle holders, carbon looks the goods but the choice was too much for now,I just picked a conservative look for now but I'm worried in the future how many times I may visit the store to update lol....
gsxrboy not sure about changing username as the Felt is blue lol....must have been hint I didn't see !

europa

Postby europa » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:05 pm

And here's the bike:

Richard

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:58 pm

And you thought we were silly when we said you would fall in love!! And also when you said you wouldn't know what felt right to ride!! So...you fell in love with a bike and then had a ride and knew you wanted full carbon!!

Nice ride. I'd be interested to hear how you find her after a few K's as I was tempted with a Felt myself.