Cheap cycle computer

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:00 am

tuco wrote: The small thin rectangular piece of plastic is used to open the battery cover on the cadence and or speed sensor. The two pins match up with two holes on the battery covers.


Well bugger me - thanks Tuco !!!
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

by BNA » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:14 am

BNA
 

Postby tuco » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:14 am

MichaelB wrote:
tuco wrote: The small thin rectangular piece of plastic is used to open the battery cover on the cadence and or speed sensor. The two pins match up with two holes on the battery covers.


Well bugger me - thanks Tuco !!!


I wondered for a while too but I have to admit I did refer to the manual in the end. It's up the back somewhere.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby Matty » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Ahh so that's what that piece of plastic is for, was wondering why it had two bits of metal sticking out.

And it would seem I'm missing the square block for the cadence sensor possibly. Here's a pic compared to the speed magnet.

Image
Matty
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Perth

Postby tuco » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:50 pm

Matty wrote:Ahh so that's what that piece of plastic is for, was wondering why it had two bits of metal sticking out.

And it would seem I'm missing the square block for the cadence sensor possibly. Here's a pic compared to the speed magnet.

Image


Okay, have to have a look at the one I set up before I comment further.
Your picture looks quite different to what I mounted.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Good thing you guys didn't chuck out the mystery object.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby Matty » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:25 pm

Well I went back to the bike store today and had a look in another one of the Sigma's sitting on the shelf. The cadence magnet is exactly the same with no riser included. So it would seem that it's either a newer or older magnet style (I'm guessing newer as the manual is probably outdated). Thanks for your help anyway :)
Matty
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Perth

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:54 pm

Bnej wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Garmin Forerunner or Edge 205. I didn't like the idea at first, but the more I look at it the sexier it is.


Rawrrr.

The Edge 305 is mega hot ! prolly $350 inc HR & cadence landed here from ebay.. Eeeep.

Cateye Strada with wired cadence or the Sigma DTS 1606L with wireless cadence ... *ponders*

*doesn't look at the Garmin again as this is all getting out of hand !*

Edit - Does the Garmin have localization issues if you ebayed?
gsxrboy
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: Perth

Postby europa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Be careful buying bottom end computers. I bought one for the Mauve Monster. Didn't want anything fancy so bought the bottom end. Got home and found out that while it has a clock, it doesn't do TRIP TIME :shock:

Sheesh. Fortunately, the lad isn't fussed about trip time so he'll get this unit and I'll buy another one ... that has trip time, distance and speed.

Mumble grumble
Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Bnej » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:52 pm

gsxrboy wrote:Rawrrr.

The Edge 305 is mega hot ! prolly $350 inc HR & cadence landed here from ebay.. Eeeep.

Cateye Strada with wired cadence or the Sigma DTS 1606L with wireless cadence ... *ponders*

*doesn't look at the Garmin again as this is all getting out of hand !*

Edit - Does the Garmin have localization issues if you ebayed?


Garmins directly imported from the US will have a US power adaptor. You can charge the Edge from a USB port though, so that might be liveable with.

Don't go over the top with your first bike computer, it will take a bit of riding before you know what you want. It's something you can save on too, you can ride without a computer no trouble, you just can't brag about your stats. ;)
User avatar
Bnej
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Katoomba, NSW

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:10 pm

Hehehe, I have a basic Cateye already so really looking for something with cadence to try and ride better/smarter. All the gps logging etc on the Garmins is just cool :) Since I gathered the Garmin was just gps location points and not map related per-say, I didn't think there was any issues other than power which is easily solvable anyway, but thanks for the confirmation.
gsxrboy
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: Perth

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Matty wrote:...And it would seem I'm missing the square block for the cadence sensor possibly. Here's a pic compared to the speed magnet.

Image


That's what I've got but it didn't sit well on the hollowed out inside surface of the Tiagra crank. I used a small disk magnet and some Araldite, instant fix, and no cable tie wrapped around the crank 8)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26012
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Postby tuco » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:04 am

tuco wrote:
Matty wrote:Ahh so that's what that piece of plastic is for, was wondering why it had two bits of metal sticking out.

And it would seem I'm missing the square block for the cadence sensor possibly. Here's a pic compared to the speed magnet.

Image


Okay, have to have a look at the one I set up before I comment further.
Your picture looks quite different to what I mounted.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Good thing you guys didn't chuck out the mystery object.

Have to admit I keep forgetting to check the magnet I installed but I'm sure it was different to this one.

Mulger bill wrote:That's what I've got but it didn't sit well on the hollowed out inside surface of the Tiagra crank. I used a small disk magnet and some Araldite, instant fix, and no cable tie wrapped around the crank Cool

Shaun

Had the same problem. Araldite sounds like a plan. It's currently cable tied on but it a little loose but working.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby Matty » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:25 pm

I had a similar problem but managed to mount it just before the pedal spindle where it's a bit flatter on my cranks. Had the added benefit of being closer to the chain stay so sensor and magnet pass nice and close to each other.
Matty
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Perth

Postby tuco » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:45 am

tuco wrote:
tuco wrote:
Matty wrote:Ahh so that's what that piece of plastic is for, was wondering why it had two bits of metal sticking out.

And it would seem I'm missing the square block for the cadence sensor possibly. Here's a pic compared to the speed magnet.

Image


Okay, have to have a look at the one I set up before I comment further.
Your picture looks quite different to what I mounted.

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Good thing you guys didn't chuck out the mystery object.

Have to admit I keep forgetting to check the magnet I installed but I'm sure it was different to this one.

Mulger bill wrote:That's what I've got but it didn't sit well on the hollowed out inside surface of the Tiagra crank. I used a small disk magnet and some Araldite, instant fix, and no cable tie wrapped around the crank Cool

Shaun

Had the same problem. Araldite sounds like a plan. It's currently cable tied on but it a little loose but working.


Finally got to check. The one I mounted had the black bit but not the clear/silver bit. The clear silver bit looks a lot like the spoke magnet for the speed sensor.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby Matty » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:18 pm

It is the speed magnet :lol: It was just in the photo for a comparison.
Matty
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Perth

Postby Bnej » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:21 pm

Ordered Garmin Edge 205 from my LBS, after having a try with a Garmin Forerunner 205. Really not a cheap comp. ;) I compared the Garmin's GPS based average speed to my Ciclosport comp's, and they were apart by 0.03km/h after 15km. The slope indication and instantaneous speed readings are not always 100% accurate, but the errors seem to smooth out over the ride pretty well, and the numbers were agreeing pretty well with my traditional comp.

I could have got the Edge 305 HRC from Ebay for the same price, but I don't like the way those ebayers operate. They are getting them directly from the US and making private sales, which screws the local distributors and retailers. You want to know why you can't get x, y or z through a bike shop in Oz, that could be why - internet sellers undercut the wholesale and makes it unprofitable to distribute the product.
User avatar
Bnej
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Katoomba, NSW

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Bnej wrote:I could have got the Edge 305 HRC from Ebay for the same price, but I don't like the way those ebayers operate. They are getting them directly from the US and making private sales, which screws the local distributors and retailers. You want to know why you can't get x, y or z through a bike shop in Oz, that could be why - internet sellers undercut the wholesale and makes it unprofitable to distribute the product.

Fair point up to a limit. Given the large price differential on bike parts, clearly there's something skewed in the current distribution structure.

A counter point being electronic goods, something that's similarly imported. Some years ago, the price differential was also similarly large as bike parts. Nowadays, the differential has came down so much that the last digital camera I bought retail in the city ended up cheaper than the best online price there was in the US (well before the current devaluation of USD).

I buy local if I see the value there. But for many other items, I think the bike industry needs to be put on notice that their margin structure is out of date and needs to change in the global economy. They can regain the market share but will need to work with the manufacturer, distributor, LBS to make them competitive again. Otherwise this internet mail order market will just get even bigger.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby Bnej » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:58 pm

As I understand things, there are manufacturers who are selling from the factory to people who show up at the door. That automatically undercuts any existing wholesale/retail system.

I think the manufacturers and distributors need to get all their crap in one sock and decide what the end prices should be. The structure that allows stuff like Pro Bike Kit to go on selling far below what a regular retailer can offer goes beyond regular sales/price cuts, it's grossly unfair to the local bike stores who are trying to make their livings selling the same products using the official sales channels.

And no online store will ever let me borrow their own Garmin comp for a ride to see if I like it.
User avatar
Bnej
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Katoomba, NSW

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:26 am

Bnej wrote:And no online store will ever let me borrow their own Garmin comp for a ride to see if I like it.

Some of the mail order places do have a return policy. But you are right, there's a return postage to be coughed up.

Seriously though, for some of the cost differentials b/n mail-order and LBS, it's a no brainer.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:10 am

sogood wrote:
Bnej wrote:And no online store will ever let me borrow their own Garmin comp for a ride to see if I like it.

Some of the mail order places do have a return policy. But you are right, there's a return postage to be coughed up.

Seriously though, for some of the cost differentials b/n mail-order and LBS, it's a no brainer.


I agree. The LBS gets the money when the price is right (value & service). I just bought some new pedals and I got the carbon RXS pedals for almost the same price as the base RXE pedals !!!

The LBS goty the money for my shoes as they had a pair that were not too lairy and fitted oh so beautiful, and the oprice was good, as well as the service. The guy spent time with me after the shop closed and did not hurry me at all, so they got my $200 without a problem.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby tuco » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:29 am

Matty wrote:It is the speed magnet :lol: It was just in the photo for a comparison.


I'd post a comment if we had a sarcasm emoticon.

I have the black part but it's on a small block.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:08 am

MichaelB wrote:I agree. The LBS gets the money when the price is right (value & service).

Thinking about this issue a bit more, the other inherent reason why I think I like online purchases is that I've been able to compare the price with other online store and know it is a good deal, all while sitting at my desk. Whereas with a LBS, you always have to bargain somewhat and still don't know what mark-ups they've hit you with unless you call around or drive around. It has not been one time where I've made purchases in one LBS and found significantly different prices in another LBS. The comfort level just isn't there with some of the LBSs. And the mark up can't be just judged by the size and appearance of the LBS either. I have seen small LBS with grossly inflated prices on certain items when compared with major fancy stores in the city, and vice versa.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby Matty » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 am

tuco wrote:
Matty wrote:It is the speed magnet :lol: It was just in the photo for a comparison.


I'd post a comment if we had a sarcasm emoticon.

I have the black part but it's on a small block.


Sorry I wasn't having a go at you.

It would seem there are two different magnet styles, one that is shown in the manual that you installed and the one in the picture above. Wonder why they took the small block one away, would have been handy.
Matty
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Perth

Previous

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit