Where can I buy old bike parts in Melbourne?

Bike noob

Where can I buy old bike parts in Melbourne?

Postby Bike noob » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:00 pm

Hi, I don't know much about bikes but I recently purchased an old bike, maybe it comes under the term "retro bikes" I'm not sure. But my main question is I want to fix it up and would like anyone to recommend me some places in Melbourne I can go to pick up old bike parts (and also get people to help me fix it). Basically all I want to do is extend the seat up higher because its a small bike and also get some new tyres.

Ok so here's some stuff I would like to say first:

-The guy who I bought it off said there was a shop called "Series" (I'm not sure if it's spelt that way) near Seperation St near the Northcote area I think. He said they had old bike parts and can help me fix it, but I can't seem to find this place.

-Also someone told me there was this place on Lygon St where you buy a membership which enables you to free old bike parts. I don't know the name of this place and details of it either so if anyone on this forum knows of these places, please tell me more info. Or if you know of any other shops please tell me too, Thanks!

cludence

Postby cludence » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:41 pm

Hey,

If you go to www.bicyclerecycling.com look under the links section for bike recycling, you should find a listing of places in Melbourne where there are old bike parts and people who can help you as well.

Hope this helps,

Karen.

Bike noob

Postby Bike noob » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm

I found out the place that I was looking for, it's called CERES.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:23 pm

G'day Bike Noob. Welcome to the mad house ... and you are doing it the mad way by buying an old bike :D

Seriously, there is a lot of value in an old bike, a route I am currently thinking of following (again).

Shop around for a lbs (local bike shop) that's been around for a long time. Most shops clear out their old stock, but you do find old shops that have a store room full of wonderful old parts for old bikes. They don't necessarily look like old shops, so look for one that's been around for a long time. Ebay has a lot of sellers floggin NOS (New Old Stock) parts - these are new parts that weren't sold in their era and are now available via ebay. There can be some very good buys there.

You can also upgrade your old bike with new bits, though that can get complicated and expensive. Whatever you choose, just give a yell and we'll help out, we like helping other people spend their money :D

Basically, if you can't find it, you haven't looked in the right place yet.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it