Help Converting my Europa into a Fixie

spirito

Re: Help Converting my Europa into a Fixie

Postby spirito » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:46 am

tobyt wrote:Close to finished!!!!!

I took it for a ride yesterday and F********CK it is scary riding fixed with NO brakes. (i opted out of machined walls as i thought it would be easy enough to learn to stop without)

Has anyone ridden fixed with no brakes, how long did it take them to build up courage to ride on the road!!?? :cry:

Would brakes work on a non machined wall??? even slightly?
Jeebus ... tough call. I guess you've already ridden the wheels so it's next to impossible to exchange them for the original ones posted above. If the faux-wood is a laminate I think it will end up looking like shi-ite (and that's not a religion) if used with brakes and I doubt the braking performance will be any good either. Yet riding around Sydney (especially the inner city and Eastern suburbs) without brakes is a heavy gamble .... it's not a matter of if but when you go down. Been there, done that ... not worth it.

Still looks like you'll need longer reach brakes than the Modolo's. Pimp the wheels and brakes before they're marked and divert the coin to rims and brakes that will work without issue. It might sound a little harsh to hear but I doubt any of us care about cool if we end up underneath a bus.

Otherwise It looks great. I think it'll look even better with a little silver on the wheels.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

tobyt

Postby tobyt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:30 am

spirito wrote:
tobyt wrote:Close to finished!!!!!

I took it for a ride yesterday and F********CK it is scary riding fixed with NO brakes. (i opted out of machined walls as i thought it would be easy enough to learn to stop without)

Has anyone ridden fixed with no brakes, how long did it take them to build up courage to ride on the road!!?? :cry:

Would brakes work on a non machined wall??? even slightly?
Jeebus ... tough call. I guess you've already ridden the wheels so it's next to impossible to exchange them for the original ones posted above. If the faux-wood is a laminate I think it will end up looking like shi-ite (and that's not a religion) if used with brakes and I doubt the braking performance will be any good either. Yet riding around Sydney (especially the inner city and Eastern suburbs) without brakes is a heavy gamble .... it's not a matter of if but when you go down. Been there, done that ... not worth it.

Still looks like you'll need longer reach brakes than the Modolo's. Pimp the wheels and brakes before they're marked and divert the coin to rims and brakes that will work without issue. It might sound a little harsh to hear but I doubt any of us care about cool if we end up underneath a bus.

Otherwise It looks great. I think it'll look even better with a little silver on the wheels.
Took it out for a longer ride last night around 8km with no problems except for one hill that i underestimated and at the bottom i ended up going round in circles with my feet off the pedals. :shock:

I checked the Modolo's out and the front brake has no probs reaching. So im looking at getting some CLEAR & LONG rubber brake pads and hopefully it wont look too !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!. I expect dirt and and heat to mark the rim but machined walls go black after 2 days of riding anyway.

I assume you can install a BMX type trigger onto the Modolo caliper.

"I think it'll look even better with a little silver on the wheels" I hope your refering to sidewalls and not spokes. I looked at the silver spokes and they take away from the pictured rim.

tobyt

Postby tobyt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:47 am

Wayfarer wrote:You could always run an old wheel with a front brake till you're used to riding 1900's style.. As for the skidding, my mate has this thing called a skid pad; he cements it onto the rear tire, and stops pedalling for a longer skid! as for the geared bike..

riding a geared bike on a sunday afternoon is like working on the sabbath.
I like the idea of the SKID PAD 8), please tell me more.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:56 pm

i googled and came across this Image

so i did some more searching and came across the spoon brake. instead od ruining your five hundred dollar fake-wood rims, you can ruin your cheap $30 tire instead!

as for the pad though, still havent found anything.. maybe your LBS can help
What are these salesmen peddling?

trmac

Postby trmac » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 pm

tobyt wrote: I checked the Modolo's out and the front brake has no probs reaching. So im looking at getting some CLEAR & LONG rubber brake pads and hopefully it wont look too s***. I expect dirt and and heat to mark the rim but machined walls go black after 2 days of riding anyway.
Wouldn't the heat/resistance generated in any form of braking just strip the faux wood decals straight off the rim?

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:14 pm

dude, sell that carlton before you kill it :D

tobyt

Postby tobyt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:27 pm

:cry: no love from the online bike possy. Im going riding in the dark.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Nice frame that....pity bout the rims though.

mpa61

Postby mpa61 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 pm

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:12 am

trmac wrote:
tobyt wrote: I checked the Modolo's out and the front brake has no probs reaching. So im looking at getting some CLEAR & LONG rubber brake pads and hopefully it wont look too s***. I expect dirt and and heat to mark the rim but machined walls go black after 2 days of riding anyway.
Wouldn't the heat/resistance generated in any form of braking just strip the faux wood decals straight off the rim?
that's what I'm thinking ... gonna look a mess
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:20 am

tobyt wrote::cry: no love from the online bike possy. Im going riding in the dark.
Nah, far from it. Most everyone would like to see it built and stylin' but as you realize the little details make things tricky.

You'll work it out.

A bike that rides perfect is more important than a bike that looks perfect.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:22 pm

we can only give advice based on what we know or have experienced. Most of us on the forum think (a generalisation, I know) you'll look more stylish riding a bike than lying under a bus. Any bike.

tobyt

Postby tobyt » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:42 pm

spirito wrote:
trmac wrote:
that's what I'm thinking ... gonna look a mess
Since the rims are powdercoated and are not decals i thought they would be able to handle a bit of heat from the pads.

Rang Velocity and their main concern was moisture and the brakes not gripping.

im rigging up a brake (The Modolo reaches BUT the bolt that goes through the frame isnt long enough, tried changing bolts from another caliper with no success) and sticking my old rim on.

If i cant get use to no brakes im going to have dismantle my wheel and send the damn rim to velocity to get MACHINED :twisted: Expensive project this is turning out to be.

Does anyone know of places in Sydney that can machine wheels(so you guys dont find me under a bus)?

trmac

Postby trmac » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm

tobyt wrote:
Since the rims are powdercoated and are not decals i thought they would be able to handle a bit of heat from the pads.

Rang Velocity and their main concern was moisture and the brakes not gripping.

im rigging up a brake (The Modolo reaches BUT the bolt that goes through the frame isnt long enough, tried changing bolts from another caliper with no success) and sticking my old rim on.

If i cant get use to no brakes im going to have dismantle my wheel and send the damn rim to velocity to get MACHINED :twisted: Expensive project this is turning out to be.

Does anyone know of places in Sydney that can machine wheels(so you guys dont find me under a bus)?
Ahh, sorry I thought the decals were stickers rather than a powdercoat - braking force would be an issue in the wet. the pads would just slide right over the coating.

I wouldn't say its a matter of "getting used" to no brakes. You might get used to it, but if something happens that requires you to stop very quickly, you wont be able to without a brake.

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:55 pm

Ok ... powder coated and not decals/veneer. That's makes things tricky.

if it were my call I'd exchange the wheels. Machining them without dismantling them is nigh on impossible, trusting someone who doesn't have the tools or expertise means likely they'll be buggered up and shipping them to Velocity and back to you just eats up $'s.

I still think it's best to cut your loss and opt for a wheelset that's more appropriate. Stop throwing good money after bad. It's not your fault but you did get a little ambitious opting for some trick parts.

With regard to the brake bolt not being long enough. Can you post details of the length of bolt and is it with a nut or allen key fitting. How long a brake bolt do you need? Post a pic so we can see if we have something to suit. Does the rear fit? It might just be a case of drilling the back of the crown and seatstay bridge so the allen bolt can be used.

I know this is frustrating ... I've been down this road many times. Older bikes were used with brakes that had longer bolts and nutted fittings and newer bikes have brakes with shorter bolts with recessed hex or allen bolts. Mixing old with new leads to frustration, pulling out the power tools and lots of beer to ease the pain.

I do commend you on accepting that it's better to have at least one brake. Sydney drivers don't give a fxxK

You'll work it out :wink:

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm

spirito wrote:Ok ... powder coated and not decals/veneer. That's makes things tricky.

if it were my call I'd exchange the wheels. Machining them without dismantling them is nigh on impossible, trusting someone who doesn't have the tools or expertise means likely they'll be buggered up and shipping them to Velocity and back to you just eats up $'s.

I still think it's best to cut your loss and opt for a wheelset that's more appropriate. Stop throwing good money after bad. It's not your fault but you did get a little ambitious opting for some trick parts.

With regard to the brake bolt not being long enough. Can you post details of the length of bolt and is it with a nut or allen key fitting. How long a brake bolt do you need? Post a pic so we can see if we have something to suit. Does the rear fit? It might just be a case of drilling the back of the crown and seatstay bridge so the allen bolt can be used.

I know this is frustrating ... I've been down this road many times. Older bikes were used with brakes that had longer bolts and nutted fittings and newer bikes have brakes with shorter bolts with recessed hex or allen bolts. Mixing old with new leads to frustration, pulling out the power tools and lots of beer to ease the pain.

I do commend you on accepting that it's better to have at least one brake. Sydney drivers don't give a fxxK

agree with all of this - it's good advice

tobyt

Postby tobyt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:18 am

spirito wrote:Ok ... powder coated and not decals/veneer. That's makes things tricky.

Im more then happy with my wheels, i just need them machined. Selling them means id lose money on them and id have to opt for a less interesting design. I cant buy the same wheels again as Velocity and every bike shop in the eastern suburbs has sold out of the wood patterns and there is a 3month waiting list with Velocity. If i just sent it over to Velocity for $50 bucks return plus $30 machine id be sweet. (i would have to dismantle my self which im sure cant be too hard)

The whole point of my fixed wheel project was to have a bike that I could design from scratch. So opting for the most practical/cheapest way around issues just means the project was a waste of time.

Ill get some shots of the brakes tonight and the coolest handlebars you have ever seen. :shock:

tier

Postby tier » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Just curious as to the outcome of this project. I've had 2 Abeni/Europas in the past and still have one in the garage.

For what it's worth, I've run my (now 3yr old) powdercoated Velocities with both: predominantly a front brake- fixed, and a two brake-singlespeed for a bit, and while initially the braking was a bit dodgy, the coating wears off and you end up with wheels that look machined anyway. I also have a road bike with the original wheels with non machined, Ambrosia, rims and the same happened with them.

Also, as both frames came with nutted brakes, I drilled one of the frames to take some Allen key fitted, Shimano Exage calipers. They were about $20, in great nick and the reach is just right. Bolted, 80's era, Weinmann, calipers were on one the other one, so they might be worth trying too.

If you're going to ride fixed, at least run a front brake. Hope this helps somewhat.

tobyt

Postby tobyt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:10 pm

tier wrote: For what it's worth, I've run my (now 3yr old) powdercoated Velocities with both: predominantly a front brake- fixed, and a two brake-singlespeed for a bit, and while initially the braking was a bit dodgy, the coating wears off and you end up with wheels that look machined anyway. I also have a road bike with the original wheels with non machined, Ambrosia, rims and the same happened with them.

Also, as both frames came with nutted brakes, I drilled one of the frames to take some Allen key fitted, Shimano Exage calipers. They were about $20, in great nick and the reach is just right. Bolted, 80's era, Weinmann, calipers were on one the other one, so they might be worth trying too.
THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR! thank you. How does braking hold up in the rain?

Ill get my big drill out tonight and rip into the poor Carlton frame.

munga

Postby munga » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:37 pm

munga wrote:you'll be fine rubbing brakie on those rims yo.

shame but..
just what you wanted to hear hey...
back in the 80's bikes came with anodised arayas and alesas, and you just rode 'em till the ano wore off.. no biggie. if your tt'ing in the wet, you prolly deserve to eat bumpers really...

tobyt

Postby tobyt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:29 am

munga wrote: WRT to braking, the colour/image will obviously rub off, but the rim will be structurally sound for as long as a machined rim will. gunna look like !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! tho. i reckon sell 'em and buy the proper rims next time..
Well done Munga you did say it first but you followed up with this.
Which then made me worry about rubbing brakie.

spirito

Postby spirito » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:36 pm

tobyt wrote: If i just sent it over to Velocity for $50 bucks return plus $30 machine id be sweet. (i would have to dismantle my self which im sure cant be too hard)
It's not too hard to build a wheel, but you had better start learning because it'll cost you another $30 each wheel to have them rebuilt at any bike shop
tobyt wrote:The whole point of my fixed wheel project was to have a bike that I could design from scratch. So opting for the most practical/cheapest way around issues just means the project was a waste of time.
Au contraire Grasshopper, maybe you've already learnt a lot. :wink:

You have to ask yourself whether you're building a fashion statement or a bike to ride. If the former, then as fashion changes and/or you get bored with certain parts or the overall aesthetic you'll spend more coin changing this or swapping that. No biggie but when you tally it up you have spent $1500 on a $500 bike .. if you can sell it, because some of those parts or it's appearance will be so last year and maybe (hopefully ?) the hipsters will have moved onto something else.

If the latter, then you've opted for building a bike in it's simplest and most beautiful form. Pure, aesthetically appealing and efficient. Something where you and machine become one and each ride is an occasion. A simple bike to be ridden and where it becomes and extension of you. Stripped down to only the essential and therein lies it's beauty. Timeless. Proven. Classic. The bike becomes a pen and the streets are the pages of your story. Sorry to bet all Zen and spout estoric but that's what fixed gear really is. Man/Machine = One.

Fixed gear is cool. Always was, always will be. Trying to be too cool is a wank.

Unless you have bags of money. You mention not wanting to be cheap/practical and if you really want to stand out from the crowd then I'm the dude you wanna know. 8) How about real wood rims, from Italy .. NOS !!! Paired up with some 1950's Campagnolo track hubs ... 1st Gen. 3 piece and NOS too. Dugast silk tubulars because there is no finer ride. Did I mention the money part ... it's gonna cost you a lot :twisted: :mrgreen:

Anyways .... It's just a bike and your first fixie. It's nice to have a good looking ride. Nothing wrong with that but let practicality and budget set your tempo and keep in mind that your frame is the soul of the bike and that can't be bought off the peg, isn't available on any website and is special on it's own. Parts is parts ... they can be beautiful but they just serve a purpose. As you have on older frame it would be prudent to let that be the show. It's classic ... like me it doesn't have to try :mrgreen: :wink: :lol:

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:40 pm

spirito wrote:
The bike becomes a pen and the streets are the pages of your story. Sorry to bet all Zen and spout estoric but that's what fixed gear really is. Man/Machine = One.

get yer hand off it Darryl. :twisted:

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 pm

spirito wrote:
The bike becomes a pen and the streets are the pages of your story. Sorry to bet all Zen and spout estoric but that's what fixed gear really is. Man/Machine = One.

Trying to be too cool is a wank.

So is trying to wax lyrical on an internet forum and misspelling esoteric :lol:

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:39 pm

i lol'd