Resting Heart rate.What's yours?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.

What is Your resting HR?

Below 45
14%
45 to 50
18%
51 to 55
19%
56 to 60
19%
61 to 65
15%
66 to 70
8%
71 to 75
4%
76 to 80
2%
Over 80
1%

Total votes: 411
toolonglegs

Re: Resting Heart rate.What's yours?

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 01, 2009 4:59 pm

44 sitting watching cartoons with the boy...mediumly fatigued after a good week training...looking good for todays race (I hope!).
Addict...no way you drop 10kgs with out dropping body fat...unless you have been sick in bed for a month and lost all muscle mass!.

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Sat May 02, 2009 10:03 am

Okay i'll be first to admit that mine was a bit higher than i expected, 76.

Now i'm a pretty slim build, probably about 70 kilos, and about 176ish cm tall. 20 Years old and ride probably every second day, go to the gym to do weights/core strength building regularly too.
I thought i was pretty fit, but my resting HR seems a little high.

Now i have noticed that (and this is probably really stupid) i get kind of nervous before i take my rhr. well not exactly nervous, but my body kind of amps up for it, and my heart starts beating a little faster. Are there any suggestions for getting over this?

Or maybe i am still unfit :D :D
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

philip

Postby philip » Sun May 03, 2009 8:34 am

Tom Marius wrote:Are there any suggestions for getting over this?
I sometimes get this too. Just take a couple of readings, the later readings will probably have lower values. Last time I did it I had a HR of 54, did it a minute later and it was 48. Same goes for blood pressure, first reading it is a bit high, second is fine.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun May 03, 2009 11:25 am

Took 3 readings on a BPM, 71/70/75, much higher than I thought it would be. My blood pressure was higher than I thought it would be also, top number in the high 130's/ 140's and the low number in the 70's :?
FPR Ragamuffin

Avanti22

Postby Avanti22 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:35 am

snedden9485 wrote: You are definately my hero Mike.
Well I apologise for not having a naturally high metabolism like you.... some of us actually have to work for it :roll:
Addict wrote:
Avanti22 wrote:I was 51bpm last time I checked. Pretty Impressed with myself that I've managed to get it that low in such a short period because not even 12 months ago I did no exercise at all, ate junk food by the bucketload, drank myself stupid 3-4 times a week and smoked and I weighed 110kg and none of it was muscle. Now I dont smoke, eat healthily 99.9% of the time, I dont drink alcohol at all, I run, cycle competitively, swim, and do weights regularly.... and the weigh in 82.7kg and 13.3% bodyfat and still dropping :lol:
how the hell do u drop bf% ??? ive dropped a 10kgs , but would fairly say that my bf% hasnt changed one bit.
I find running and swimming are best for stripping fat off your upper body, while cycling works wonders for your waist down. Weights also are a great way to drop bodyfat, medium weight high reps.
2008 Ridley Compact

justD

Postby justD » Sun May 03, 2009 1:47 pm

June last year mine was often around 110 (yes, resting). Around the same time my BP shot up to 205/135 so I think I was pretty close to pegging.

Quit smoking, now drink less than 2 beers per week, almost cut out red meat completely and started cycling. My BP is pretty normal now and RHR around 75.
Not quite where you guys are at, but this is a huge improvement for me.

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:06 pm

Well I apologise for not having a naturally high metabolism like you.... some of us actually have to work for it
I think i do plenty of work on the bike that would keep my weight down. :wink:
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Addict

Postby Addict » Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 am

toolonglegs wrote: Addict...no way you drop 10kgs with out dropping body fat...unless you have been sick in bed for a month and lost all muscle mass!.

Ok... ill put it another way....
the love handles and man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! are still there :oops: i thought after 10kgs they'd be gawwwwwnn...?

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 am

Addict wrote:Ok... ill put it another way....
the love handles and man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! are still there :oops: i thought after 10kgs they'd be gawwwwwnn...?
I think they're the hardest to shift/last to go. DAMHIK :roll:
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:A nice strong easy to find pulse on the temple.
And guess what, that pulse comes from none other than your temporal artery. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Wed May 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Addict wrote:
toolonglegs wrote: Addict...no way you drop 10kgs with out dropping body fat...unless you have been sick in bed for a month and lost all muscle mass!.

Ok... ill put it another way....
I look at it this way Addict... I've dropped 39kg in 16months, and my man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! have gone from flabby disgusting 47yr old ones, to looking like a nice young 20 yr old's (but with hair) :shock:

I am 47 BTW but at least my man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! look younger :lol:
Russ
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

legsrhurtin

Postby legsrhurtin » Fri May 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Tom Marius wrote:Okay i'll be first to admit that mine was a bit higher than i expected, 76.

Now i'm a pretty slim build, probably about 70 kilos, and about 176ish cm tall. 20 Years old and ride probably every second day, go to the gym to do weights/core strength building regularly too.

Now i have noticed that (and this is probably really stupid) i get kind of nervous before i take my rhr. well not exactly nervous, but my body kind of amps up for it, and my heart starts beating a little faster. Are there any suggestions for getting over this?

I weigh 77kg but am 172cm, I go to the gym about 3 times a week for weight training and ride the bike for about an hour 4 days a week and my resting heart rate is at 73. I freaked cos that is below average. I know I weigh a lot for my height but i bench sets on 95kg and i don't think i am fat.

Tarkus

Postby Tarkus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Just did mine, and it was 60, don't care too much about that though, however I've never been on a ride where my maximum heart rate didn't hit 220+.

231 has been my largest so far, should I see a doctor or chuck out the polar. My last 3 hour ride I maxed out at 227 and my average was 162. Included rolling hills, hill climb, only about 30km flat. Checked my hr at the bottom of a steep descent hit 75km a dodged a few road works, and it was 191. Super fun though! Felt strong even at 191 and was able to push along, with the hr dropping.

On the trainer I never gone over 200.

Anyway, do I need a check up or is this normal?

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:40 am

49 to 56.

Mine fluctuate depending on the lack of sleep I am experiencing.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:45 pm

45bpm... its gotta be all the long runs I do

micl

Postby micl » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: I have seen high 30's when in hospital which is always fun cause it freaks them out.
+1 Had them running round in circles 8)

Resting 50 - 60
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:06 pm

justD wrote:June last year mine was often around 110 (yes, resting). Around the same time my BP shot up to 205/135 so I think I was pretty close to pegging.

Quit smoking, now drink less than 2 beers per week, almost cut out red meat completely and started cycling. My BP is pretty normal now and RHR around 75.
Not quite where you guys are at, but this is a huge improvement for me.
Awsm job keep it up,I admire the giving up smoking,,not easy,The more you ride the more you will enjoy it "I keep telling myself" :wink: You do not need huge effort when cycling ,More time on the bike and little/medium effort, good cadence will give good results and build "base fitness" this is effective in weight loss,It will also leave you feeling fresher for the next ride :) "my 2 cents 8) ,,.
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Bike 2011 Scott ,,all good
Genius 27 sp flat bar ,modified with aerobars etc a strange beast but love it ,,kicks ass

KillerHeadWind

Postby KillerHeadWind » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:32 pm

After a couple of months of pretty hard training, I've got my resting HR down to 42, come on sub 40 pleeeeease :D
Keep climbing until the air is too thin

2006 Gitane Mach 2400, 2007 Giant OCR3 (RIP), 2009 Custom built Stealth, 2010 Pedal Force SRAM Red Rocket

RIP Dad
10:10pm 02/02/2011

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:50 pm

I’m extremely jealous of all you guys with those low heart rates!

Can’t get my resting heart rate lower than 74 but then I freak out when it gets to 190 during a workout.

Time to see a doctor and get a complete physical I think, as I need to know just how hard I can afford to push it at 65 years of age!

Tom

grosry

Postby grosry » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:39 pm

66 sitting here after a day of NOTHING! :lol:
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:55 am

Resting HR c.65-70BPM (havent taken it for a few months).
Tom Marius wrote:Okay i'll be first to admit that mine was a bit higher than i expected, 76.

Maybe not. I am 6'2", 88kg, with a resting HR in the 65-70BPM range. That jumps to 90-100 if I so much as stand up and walk to the front door. Some people run 'hot'. You may be one of them. I run at 150-160 while riding, no problems. I regularly hit 160 on rides, and can maintain 175 for ten minutes or so of climbing, and it doesnt overly worry me. Some people would blow up pushing that. My simplistic theoretical max HR is 184BPM (220-36). I've gone over that so many times in the last year its not funny. Yesterday I was climbing after 45km of riding and I hammered myself cause my legs needed some strength training (out of condition) and pushed it 189BPM for ten seconds plus. I made the hill though...

My "optimal" HR for weight loss is (IIRC) 137-146BPM, and for fitness is 147-156BPM. That figure is from various HR training manuals, and it varies a little (note to Alex: its never been tested properly so grain of salt time). I literally cant ride maintain 140BPM cause I'm doing about 12km/h on flat ground and going nowhere.
ruscook wrote: I look at it this way Addict... I've dropped 39kg in 16months, and my man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! have gone from flabby disgusting 47yr old ones, to looking like a nice young 20 yr old's (but with hair) :shock:

I am 47 BTW but at least my man !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! look younger :lol:
Russ
Gold! Its always that last little bit that clings on to remind you "you're not there yet, fat boy, keep working!"

Jim

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Just checked mine, 72 sitting at my desk, I reckon it's a bit lower when it's actually resting but I am okay at 72bpm. My max is around 192 according to my coach. I've peaked at 192bpm for about 3 seconds and blown up.

pickle

Postby pickle » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:03 am

Just checked mine, its around 43 bpm... All I do is commute and the occasional weekend ride. Does RHR mean much?
Data not found... brain not found more like it

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:59 pm

Hadn't taken much notice of mine for a while so checked it with the Garmin when I got into bed last night. Was hovering in the high 30s but I ended up falling asleep. Downloaded it this morning and hit a low of 31 about 2 hours in :?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:22 am

Deanj wrote:Hadn't taken much notice of mine for a while so checked it with the Garmin when I got into bed last night. Was hovering in the high 30s but I ended up falling asleep. Downloaded it this morning and hit a low of 31 about 2 hours in :?

Better set that alarm to wake you for a quick walk during the night....don't want your super thick blood to stop your heart.
PS...can I have your "cough cough" doctors name...i need a cough medicine script. :wink: