Digitec Ultrasonic Cleaner (3lt/100W) - for shiny parts.

Real life bike and gear tests

Digitec Ultrasonic Cleaner (3lt/100W) - for shiny parts.

Postby twizzle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Name of product
Digitec Ultrasonic Cleaner 3lt/100W

Where bought and price
Jaycar - $300. But the list price on the website is $399. I may have got a trade deal - not sure. Cheaper/smaller models can be obtained via EBay, but check the tank size first to make sure the object you want to clean will fit in the tank. I'm planning on doing car parts later, so this size seemed to be the best value for money for me. These units also seem to be the same as the 'Jeken' ones sold via Ebay in various sizes.

How it is used
Cleaning parts using water/detergent (and kero etc. if you don't care about warranty or fire hazard). Specifically, I was trying to obtain the ultimate chain cleaning - but as an added bonus it cleans jewellery. This is a big selling point when SWMBO has jewellery and you are trying to explain why you blew so much money on something that looks so useless.

For cleaning chains - give the chain a soak in kero first, wash off with water and then do about 10-15 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner to get the dirt and metal out of the inside of the links.

Description
It's a 100W ultrasonic cleaner, ~3lt capacity with the tank roughly 235mmx135mmx100mm. It removes dirt via the shockwave created by cavitation bubbles. It cleans out all those little nooks and crannies areas that are impossible to get to via conventional methods. If you drop a bicycle chain or derailleur (jockey wheels separated) into the tank with some water and detergent, after about 15 minutes you have what appears to be new parts. Except, it doesn't do a great job on built up grease, which is why it doesn't do a great job on getting the dirt & metal particles out from the inside of the chain links on a dirty chain unless a solvent is used first.

Positives
If you persist, the parts come out amazingly clean. And for parts that don't need a degreaser, it cleans in plain water or water/detergent for a more environmentally friendly process.

Negatives
It's damned noisy and expensive to boot. To empty the tank, you have to tip the unit upside down, which risks getting water into the internals. The documentation specifically voids the warranty if flammable liquids are used in the unit - but as the tank is stainless steel, you can choose to ignore this at your own risk of having it explode in flames....

Additional notes
Some models (more expensive) come with drain valves so you don't need to invert to get the cleaning solution out.

Reccomendation
If you like your parts to be clean... really clean... then this is one heck of a tool.

OVERALL SCORES

Quality Image
It's not the most impressive product - but it appears to be functional.

PerformanceImage
Does an excellent job - if you persist. This can take some time, and multiple cleaning cycles.

Value for money Image
Definitely not value for money, but it has a lot more uses than cleaning bicycle parts and you can always let your mates borrow it. Then again, handing shiny jewellery back to the significant other can be priceless. :)
Last edited by twizzle on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

by BNA » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:17 am

BNA

Re: Digitec Ultrasonic Cleaner (2lt/100W) - for shiny parts.

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:17 am

Cheers Twizzle.

What are the dimensions of your tank ?

What cleaning solution did you use ? Can you use Kero (or similar solvent) in the unit ?

I gotta admit, I don't like the idea of having to tip the whole unit to clean/empty the tank. Do any of the other units need to do the same ? A point worth noting

Cheers
MichaelB

Re: Digitec Ultrasonic Cleaner (2lt/100W) - for shiny parts.

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:06 pm

I've updated the text.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Re: Digitec Ultrasonic Cleaner (3lt/100W) - for shiny parts.

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:50 am

So in the end, was it worth it ? Sounds great at cleaning, but really needs several goes for a used chain to get it really clean.

Were there any that you saw that had a removable top tank, or are none built this way ?
MichaelB

Re: Digitec Ultrasonic Cleaner (3lt/100W) - for shiny parts.

Postby twizzle » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Update - After noting the chain was getting dirtier and dirtier over the last few weeks (ie. after cleaning and lubing black gunk would appear everywhere), I gave up and used a kero cycle followed by water/detergent. This got the chain back to 'pretty damned clean'. However - it (a) voids the warranty (lol - like they can tell!) and (b) is a fire hazard. So, use your own judgement about what you feel safe doing.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Return to Bike & Gear Reviews