Commute Videos

waynohh

Commute Videos

Postby waynohh » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Encounters caught on video while commuting. Post em if you have em.

Here's mine (Brisbane, QLD):

http://www.youtube.com/waynohh

Edit 2009-09-04:
Related slightly off topic discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18844
Last edited by waynohh on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

njg02

Re: Commute Videos

Postby njg02 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Wow. Scary stuff waynohh. If I wasn't already a commuter I think this would put me off. You should set up something for driver education with an advocacy group. I'd certainly talk to the local bike cops about it, esp about the unmarked coppers.

Neil

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Scary indeed, but not unusual in my experience. What are you using to shoot these?

One thing I'd suggest is to try to be factual, not judgemental, in the titles you're putting on these (mostly you are). For example your description of the p-plate driver doesn't lend any credibility to your story.

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:16 am

Well they did have a P plate displayed on their car, they were female, fat and also a biatch because they sped up specifically to cut me off. Didn't bother getting the licence plate because that would mean following them up their driveway. Basically the ones where I listed the rego, I made a factual as possible. The others I didn't bother.

I only really keep them on the off chance that I capture the same drivers more than once. I doubt if you took footage like this to police they could do anything about it. Even if the police were to talk to the drivers, even if they showed the drivers the videos, all that would do is make those drivers hate cyclists even more than they did before. Having "the establishment" on your case doesn't increase your respect for it.

The one with the police, I typed up a complaint and mailed it to the QLD Police State Coordinator Ethical Standards Command "ESC", which is the correct channel. No response yet, but don't really expect one.

I wish I had my camera today when one of those huge SUV things cut into the bike line in front of me and slammed the brakes. Only just managed to stop with about half a foot to spare. Come to think of it, this happened TWICE today, the one on the way into work I had to swerve into the gutter downhill at 50km/h. There would have been absolutely no way to stop in time if she'd kept moving over into the bike lane.

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Added some more from my ride this morning - a quiet Saturday - or seemingly not so quiet, even though it was 6am in the morning.

When you stop at lights in the left lane on a multi lane road, why do people insist on stopping behind you then trying to muscle you out of the way, even though there's a perfectly good second lane right there... rhetorical question of course. This happened twice in the space of 10 minutes, the first guy tried some yelling, the second guy tried some engine revving and spinning tires.

http://www.youtube.com/waynohh