Diamondback Chromolly MTB

Aushiker

Diamondback Chromolly MTB

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:42 pm

G'day

Anyone have experience with Diamondback MTB? One, with steel frame has come up for sale locally. Not much details yet, but any ideas as to when they where making steel framed MTBs with front suspension?

It is only going for $250, so assuming size etc is okay, it might be worth playing with to turn it into an off-road tourer.

Any suggestions as to what to look for?

Regards
Andrew

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Enter the Diamondback Wildwood, lovingly named the Mauve Monster ... by her previous owner (after he'd sold her though :roll:).

Grand old cycle, emphasis on the 'old'. I bought her from MichaelB for $100. She's heavy but as comfy as a chair. Soaks up lumps and bumps very well and though I haven't done a lot of mountain biking on her, I wouldn't regard suspension forks as a massive advantage ... to her. I've ridden her on very narrow paths (got the rear axle stuck between two rocks - it was narrow), bounced across creeks, fought my way up rock strewn hills. She'd make an ideal rough road tourer ... which is why I bought her, though I'm only looking at day trips.

Michael will be able to tell you more I'm sure ... afterall, he had her from new.

You're obviously looking at something later (because of the forks), but if it's as well built as MM, it'll be a good bike.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:00 pm

Starting to regret selling it, but needed the money to pay for the Blue Bomber.

Great bike whilst I had it. RRP at the time of buying was about $800, but got it for $530 from Myers when they astaretd selling the next years model.

Never had a problem with it in the time that I rode it. :lol:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:09 pm

MichaelB wrote:Never had a problem with it in the time that I rode it. :lol:
So why did you dismantle the gear shifter? Or was that to stuff it up just for me :roll: (ruddy thing drives me potty, but not potty enough to fix it :wink: )

She's a fine bike and if she's an example of their later products, I'm happy to recommend them.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:25 pm

europa wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Never had a problem with it in the time that I rode it. :lol:
So why did you dismantle the gear shifter? Or was that to stuff it up just for me :roll: (ruddy thing drives me potty, but not potty enough to fix it :wink: )

She's a fine bike and if she's an example of their later products, I'm happy to recommend them.

Richard
It wasn't a problem, just a PITA, that I had to attempt to fix :oops:

I had no problems per se in terms of having to spend $$ or take it back to the LBS.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback. Just need the seller to respond to my sms now. BTW the Trek 6500 is back in the Quokka this week but being an alu frame I am not so keen.

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:20 pm

You're prolly looking at a late 90's frame there Andrew, a bit heavy as Richard said, but tough as nails. If the running gear, including fork is OK she'd be a good buy IMO. Retrofitting a rigid fork would be a no brainer if necessary.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011