To the Sydney taxi driver...

Broaders

To the Sydney taxi driver...

Postby Broaders » Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 pm

who made a point of pushing out into the intersection this morning just to make me slam my brakes on and skid.
The little sh*t eating grin on your face means you did it on purpose and you're lucky I'm a pacifist :evil:

peace love and mungbeans everyone.

end rant.

Dial

Re: To the Sydney taxi driver...

Postby Dial » Sat May 23, 2009 12:43 am

lol
I like the taxi drivers that come across at you and then, after blocking you off, stop in front of you to let off a passenger. I try to pass them on the inside, before the passenger opens the door and take out their passenger side mirror. :evil:

And that’s the beauty of commuting with a flat bar with side bars. You can take out a car’s side mirror without risking any damage to yourself, just make sure you have an escape route. I guess it’s illegal but as a cyclist, you’ve got it stick up for yourself. You’ve got to let these motorists know they can’t **** with you.

BTW after you've taken out their side mirror, make sure you look back and give them that "sh*t eating grin". :D

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat May 23, 2009 9:34 am

I was watching a short documentary on Youtube, and one cyclist riding flat bar fitted bar extensions horizontally so that he could skim along the sides of vehicles if they got too close, instead of swerving.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 25, 2009 1:26 am

Always go for the drivers side mirror, instant unroadworthy. :twisted:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 25, 2009 8:01 am

hartleymartin wrote:I was watching a short documentary on Youtube, and one cyclist riding flat bar fitted bar extensions horizontally so that he could skim along the sides of vehicles if they got too close, instead of swerving.
That would be just stupid. If there was a harder contact, he would lose steering and be in a face plant. #fail
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

timax

Postby timax » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Funny reading some of these posts about !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! drivers .....well not really funny but........I use a car a lot for work and find many of the same problems like this one with the Taxi. I don't think its because your on a bike its just because your there in the first place. It still happens to me in a car. I think I actually have fewer problems when I ride because I tend to slip through gaps and get around traffic holdups.

gauchoracer

Postby gauchoracer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:07 pm

This describes a lot of taxi drivers from what i have seen of the species..... from car, truck, motorbike, and bicycle...
"end rant"...
Max...
Rule No 1: Have Fun.
07 Avanti Blade Comp.
08 Teschner Piuma SL.
10 Norco Storm MTB.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:08 am

gauchoracer wrote:This describes a lot of taxi drivers from what i have seen of the species..... from car, truck, motorbike, and bicycle...
"end rant"...
Max...
+1
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:13 am

hartleymartin wrote:I was watching a short documentary on Youtube, and one cyclist riding flat bar fitted bar extensions horizontally so that he could skim along the sides of vehicles if they got too close, instead of swerving.
This works... the bar ends on my mountain bike have eaten a few side mirrors, dinged a few panels and, most importantly, saved my fingers on a number of occaisions. This wasn't malicious or on purpose mind you, just from being cut off in rush hour traffic by inattentive drivers. They are metal so they slide rather well and keep the grips from, well, gripping, on the side of the vehicle!

Image Image

They also protect your fingers when you ride into fences, stobie poles, etc :roll:

not4resale

Postby not4resale » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Biffidus wrote:This works... the bar ends on my mountain bike have eaten a few side mirrors, dinged a few panels and, most importantly, saved my fingers on a number of occaisions.
That's a pretty good idea.

Are things like this possible on a roadie with the bullhorns? I reckon it'd come in bloody handy!

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:59 am

Not sure. Drop bars seem to be a little larger so MTB bar ends might not fit... it would look rather odd as well!