Perth to Geraldton - July 2009 Ride

Aushiker

Perth to Geraldton - July 2009 Ride

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:05 pm

G'day

I recently completed a road based tour from Perth to Geraldton riding Sir Lancelot and pulling BOB. The full write-up for those interested can be found here. A summary of the ride follows for the rest of us :)

My plan was to catch the bus from Perth to Geraldton and ride back via Dongara, Leeman, Cervantes, Regans Ford and Guilderton, i.e., over five days of riding. I ended up cutting out the overnight stay at Guilderton and heading back to Perth via Two Rocks, Yanchep and the coast, making my last day's ride 151 kilometres.

The bus trip part was straight forward. Transwa took the bike and trailer without dramas ($10 charge for the bike). The bike was stood up and covered with a blanked to minimise damage to the paint. That said I did manage to loose a retaining clip from the BOB trailer which caused me a little headache or three in Geraldton and introduced me to yet another LBS whom customer service was not something that they understand. That said, I learnt that tie-wire can come in pretty handy.

From Geraldton I headed south mainly on the Brand Highway (not too bad an experience) and the Indian Ocean Drive (needs a name change - not too much ocean in view). The weather was bad on the first day of riding, but at least I had favourable winds. From Port Denison (Dongara) the rain pretty much moved on, but the winds where variable. They have a wind farm at Emu Downs for a good reason and boy did I found out why!

Overall an interesting ride, maybe not the most scenic with long sections of not a lot of change in the big picture but it is surprising how much more one focus on the details.

Next adventure? Next section of the Munda Biddi (off road) and riding to Kalgoorlie via Hyden and Norseman.

Regards
Andrew

Earthy Ochre Man

Re: Perth to Geraldton - July 2009 Ride

Postby Earthy Ochre Man » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Nice one Andrew, sounds like a good ride.

I'll have to grab 5 minutes tonight and have a read of the full report on your website.

Matt D.

Mudcrab

Postby Mudcrab » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Sounds like a good trip, spokes work well when you loose a clip for your bob.I have them on mine dont think i will bother changing.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Sounds like an interesting ride Andrew. I've wondered about the level of motor traffic though. Guess it depends on the route.

When I worked at LBS I had a guy come in who had lost a BOB clip. He showed me the one he had and I made a new one from a spoke. Didn't charge him for it either but don't tell the boss.

John Lewis

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:11 pm

well done Andrew. Sounds like a good ride.

cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Mudcrab wrote:Sounds like a good trip, spokes work well when you loose a clip for your bob.I have them on mine dont think i will bother changing.
Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't consider that.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:00 pm

John Lewis wrote:Sounds like an interesting ride Andrew. I've wondered about the level of motor traffic though. Guess it depends on the route.

When I worked at LBS I had a guy come in who had lost a BOB clip. He showed me the one he had and I made a new one from a spoke. Didn't charge him for it either but don't tell the boss.

John Lewis
Ahh, another vote for the old spoke.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:02 pm

John Lewis wrote:Sounds like an interesting ride Andrew. I've wondered about the level of motor traffic though. Guess it depends on the route.
G'day

It had its moments for sure, but overall the traffic pretty well behaved on the Brand Highway. I had more trouble with 4WD drivers coming out of Cervantes on the Sunday, which was the last day of the first week of school holidays. This was on the road heading to the Brand Highway. Lot of agro along that stretch for some reason.

Andrew

timbo

Postby timbo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:01 am

Sounds like it was a good ride. All rides are good actually, and some are really good, really really good and some are bloody awsome.

My only question is, by looking at all the threads on the touring page, why is everyone wanting to get out of Perth? :)

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:54 am

great read, that tourist park in dongara is the pits stay well clear. what was your average speed?

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:53 am

Nice ride Andrew and a nice read :)
rustguard wrote:great read, that tourist park in dongara is the pits stay well clear. what was your average speed?
what is the problem with the tourist park?
I'm supposed to stay there in September :?
Too old to live, too slow to die.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:09 am

well the tent sites are so hard it is like hammering into cement, no wind protection. the cabins are top dollar and the people running it were yuk.
i wont ever be back.
I should have guessed by the name, tourists are suckers you grab as much money as you can from. go for something called a holiday park or a campers park anything but a tourists park.
there is a park just south of geralton at greenough river and everytime I stay there I dont want to leave. but I heard it has bee earmarked for destruction. :(

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:04 am

blkmcs wrote:Nice ride Andrew and a nice read :)
rustguard wrote:great read, that tourist park in dongara is the pits stay well clear. what was your average speed?
what is the problem with the tourist park?
Are we referring to the one at Port Denison? If yes, it looked pretty run down and was very expensive. $65 for an on-site van that I would think twice about putting my dog in. The Big 4 up the road was much nicer and less dollars for a much nice cabin.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:05 am

rustguard wrote:what was your average speed?
Around 19 km/h I think. Haven't actually worked it out yet.

Andrew

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:57 am

Andrew[/quote]Are we referring to the one at Port Denison? If yes, it looked pretty run down and was very expensive. $65 for an on-site van that I would think twice about putting my dog in. The Big 4 up the road was much nicer and less dollars for a much nice cabin.

Andrew[/quote]
yes the southern one, not good for tents and I had problems with the other accomodation in the park

Aushiker wrote:Are we referring to the one at Port Denison? If yes, it looked pretty run down and was very expensive. $65 for an on-site van that I would think twice about putting my dog in. The Big 4 up the road was much nicer and less dollars for a much nice cabin.

Andrew
In my book that is super speed towing a loaded trailer

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:58 pm

rustguard wrote:yes the southern one, not good for tents and I had problems with the other accomodation in the park
It wasn't popular either. I road around the park; hardly anyone camping there and low occupancy of the cabins. The Big4 back towards Dongara a little bit was close to being booked out. I reckon that says a lot.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:02 pm

It looks like you had a great time there Andrew. Perth to Kal (or the other direction) sounds like a good ride too.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Andrew

Just wondering how you found Sir Lancelot for a multi-day tour. I was thinking on the train that you didn't cover that much distance each day... then I remembered you were towing a trailer! :oops:

Cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:54 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Andrew

Just wondering how you found Sir Lancelot for a multi-day tour. I was thinking on the train that you didn't cover that much distance each day... then I remembered you were towing a trailer! :oops:

Cheers

Greg
Gee Greg you are a hard task master :). I think I averaged around 100 km a day, including two days over 100 km. It is not the same as riding an Audax ride.

Sir Lancelot was very comfortable and easy to ride. Really didn't notice the weight of the bike or the trailer for that matter when riding with both, but boy he felt light when I road around towns without the trailer.

He really does need a kick stand but. I will probably do with a Hebie bi-pod. I found it quite a pain not having a stand.

Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:Gee Greg you are a hard task master :).
Not really... I just don't think very clearly in the morning :(
Aushiker wrote:I think I averaged around 100 km a day, including two days over 100 km. It is not the same as riding an Audax ride.
That is a good distance considering how much you were transporting.
Aushiker wrote:Sir Lancelot was very comfortable and easy to ride. Really didn't notice the weight of the bike or the trailer for that matter when riding with both, but boy he felt light when I road around towns without the trailer.
Good to hear. I was wondering if you would find him a better touring bike than a commuting bike.

Cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:Next adventure? Next section of the Munda Biddi (off road) and riding to Kalgoorlie via Hyden and Norseman.
So Andrew, when are we going? (Kalgoorlie that is) :wink: I'm almost ready!

Regards

Perry

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:45 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Next adventure? Next section of the Munda Biddi (off road) and riding to Kalgoorlie via Hyden and Norseman.
So Andrew, when are we going? (Kalgoorlie that is) :wink: I'm almost ready!

Regards

Perry
Well now that I have found out a certain event is on in late September/early October it will have to be in April 2010 or else in 2011. Really comes down to Kal or the Munda Biddi.

Andrew

spud

Postby spud » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Thats a great setup Aushiker

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:18 pm

spud wrote:Thats a great setup Aushiker
Thanks.

Regards
Andrew